Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo VIII... haven't driven it yet!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo VIII... haven't driven it yet!

Wanted to say hey, I recently bought a 2003 Evo VIII.
At the moment, I'm out of the country so I havent had the chance to drive it yet! I had two of my friends check it out for me, using some of the info I found on here and another friend who has an Evo as well. My mom was pretty pissed that I hadn't sent her a letter but somehow managed to buy a car. My dad thinks it's cool tho! So it's sitting in my driveway, and I've just been lurking on here to make up for the fact that I can't drive it. Anyways - I'm really excited for when I'm back home! Can't wait to drive it
Old Oct 25, 2017, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh the pain of owning a car but not being able to drive it hahah. I remember when I was 16 I bought my cobalt SS, which now is nothing special but when you're 16 it might as well have been an evo hahah. But I bought it before I even knew how to drive stick, I had my mom who drove stick test drive it and bring it home. So I had to pretty much sit and stare at it until I could learn to drive it without burning out the clutch and stalling in the middle of the road
Old Oct 25, 2017, 05:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Congrats!!! Even though you havent officially seen it yet, you must have a pic or two that you can share? Post it up!!

Anyway, great to have you join us on the EvOM boards. Keep us posted when you get back home & take delivery

If you have any questions, Let us know (im a 9 owner)

Joe
Old Oct 25, 2017, 06:46 AM

Yeah here's some pics that I was sent:

Then of course I made my brother FaceTime me with it haha. But yeah I'm planning on going with E85 mods and a turbo upgrade within a year so that's my goal for now. Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 07:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks Vance. Looks nice & a good base to start with. You will just love the E85. Ive been burning the alcohol for 8 years
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:37 AM

Do you think a stock motor with 119k miles would be okay for running ethanol? From what I read, the stock engine shouldn't have a problem handling E85 with a mild boost increase. I plan on eventually upgrading to a FP Red turbo too once some more supporting mods are in, but that will be later. The only mod on the engine as of right now is a larger intercooler.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 05:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by vnappy
Do you think a stock motor with 119k miles would be okay for running ethanol? From what I read, the stock engine shouldn't have a problem handling E85 with a mild boost increase. I plan on eventually upgrading to a FP Red turbo too once some more supporting mods are in, but that will be later. The only mod on the engine as of right now is a larger intercooler.
Sure, Why Not? My motor is completely stock & have been on E85 for 8 years. Just make sure you keep the tune at a reasonable level. I would not recommend boost settings above 26-27 PSI
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:03 PM

UPDATE: I’m back in the states and have been driving it around! I’m already digging the upgrade from the Civic lol.
The radiator was in bad shape with a leak, so I went ahead and installed a CBRD slim radiator. Once I find somewhere to mount the fan control module I’ll be more excited to drive it without topping off the coolant every day.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Welcome back & keep us updated on your progress

Joe
Old Jan 19, 2018, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I hope your mum has recovered, if its not your mum it will be your gf or wife, its how we roll with Evo's lol
Old Jan 23, 2018, 08:53 AM

mount your fan control in the same area. that's what i did. mine is connected to the frame
Old Feb 23, 2018, 09:13 PM

Could be a good idea to do a coolant system pressure check. There might still be some bad hoses or loose clamps after all that.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Randen Kelly
Could be a good idea to do a coolant system pressure check. There might still be some bad hoses or loose clamps after all that.
The CBRD Radiator worked great, no problems and it was pretty easy to mount the control module to the frame. One of the hoses was pretty warped/frayed so I just replaced most of them for good measure.

A side note, does anyone notice a weird “grinding/vibration” when you let off the throttle while driving in gear? It’s most noticeable in 3rd and 4th. I don’t know if it’s normal for an AWD car or not, but I’ve been reading around and can’t really find an absolute answer. It might be the flywheel and clutch, that’s what I’m worried about, I know they’re aftermarket but the previous owner didn’t know what kind.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 4, 2018)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by vnappy

The CBRD Radiator worked great, no problems and it was pretty easy to mount the control module to the frame. One of the hoses was pretty warped/frayed so I just replaced most of them for good measure.

A side note, does anyone notice a weird “grinding/vibration” when you let off the throttle while driving in gear? It’s most noticeable in 3rd and 4th. I don’t know if it’s normal for an AWD car or not, but I’ve been reading around and can’t really find an absolute answer. It might be the flywheel and clutch, that’s what I’m worried about, I know they’re aftermarket but the previous owner didn’t know what kind.
That surely doesnt sound normal. When was the last fluid change of the tranny. You can always have that fluid analyzed for particulates