Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

I think its time to move on...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its time to move on...

So with the money I am saving for a closed deck engine and install on my STI, I am thinking about just instead paying off the STI (yeah not cheap to make a reliable 450whp in them) and trading in the STI along with some cash for an Evo 8 or 9 without major mods and under 50k miles in good shape to instead make my new project car.

What are some things I should look out for when looking at one to get and what could I also make reliably on an Evo 8 or 9 with a 15k-20k budget to build the car up?

Lastly, how can I change my username to a different one?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 09:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Ricles
So with the money I am saving for a closed deck engine and install on my STI, I am thinking about just instead paying off the STI (yeah not cheap to make a reliable 450whp in them) and trading in the STI along with some cash for an Evo 8 or 9 without major mods and under 50k miles in good shape to instead make my new project car.

What are some things I should look out for when looking at one to get and what could I also make reliably on an Evo 8 or 9 with a 15k-20k budget to build the car up?

Lastly, how can I change my username to a different one?
Yeah, we have the same opinion on the Suby. Great car, but the complexity of the boxer motor w/the open deck block is expensive & hard to work on

The closed deck 4G63 is much simpler in design & making power is less expensive. The crank has its own stock, casted girdle for support

Look at these thread stickies
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

Regarding your user name, let me know what you want it changed to

Thanks for joining us on the EvOM boards

Joe
Old Jan 5, 2018, 09:14 AM

Make sure timing belt, tensioner and water pump have been done recently. Also look out for Tcase whine. Evo transmissions are typically notchy, just make sure its not unbearable. Also ensure that all fluids have been changed, and preferably make sure the car has a nice/ decent tune.

Ive seen people make 400whp on a stock 9 turbo using E85 and supporting mods (depending on elevation). The 4g63 can handle 450 no problem, you would just need a bigger turbo and of course the supporting mods. 15k to throw at an evo is more than enough.

I dont know how you can change your username lol.
Edit: The man above has got your back on the name change
Old Jan 5, 2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Yeah, we have the same opinion on the Suby. Great car, but the complexity of the boxer motor w/the open deck block is expensive & hard to work on

The closed deck 4G63 is much simpler in design & making power is less expensive. The crank has its own stock, casted girdle for support

Look at these thread stickies
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-dummies.html

Regarding your user name, let me know what you want it changed to

Thanks for joining us on the EvOM boards

Joe
Thanks for the info! and jgr208 please.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by wild buff-evo
Make sure timing belt, tensioner and water pump have been done recently. Also look out for Tcase whine. Evo transmissions are typically notchy, just make sure its not unbearable. Also ensure that all fluids have been changed, and preferably make sure the car has a nice/ decent tune.

Ive seen people make 400whp on a stock 9 turbo using E85 and supporting mods (depending on elevation). The 4g63 can handle 450 no problem, you would just need a bigger turbo and of course the supporting mods. 15k to throw at an evo is more than enough.

I dont know how you can change your username lol.
Edit: The man above has got your back on the name change
So from reading the link and you mentioning tuning, I am assuming that cobb does not make an AP for an Evo 8/9, correct? I am probably going to stick with the same tuner (drunkmann) that has done my STI since he also does Evo
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks for the info! and jgr208 please.
Do you want it in caps: JGR208 vs jgr208?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Do you want it in caps: JGR208 vs jgr208?
Lowercase is fine.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Lowercase is fine.
Our Admin group has to do it, so it may take a day /two
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jgr208
So from reading the link and you mentioning tuning, I am assuming that cobb does not make an AP for an Evo 8/9, correct? I am probably going to stick with the same tuner (drunkmann) that has done my STI since he also does Evo
I think they did come out with an AP for the CT9A evos, however, it would probably be cheaper and similar to just use Evoscan, all you would need is a 1.3u Tactrix cable (around $100). Me personally, I wouldn't ever use an AP on an evo, and most tuners should be able to use Evoscan just fine. You would need to talk with your guy to see what he prefers I guess. You would also want a wideband, an omni 4 bar MAP sensor and maybe a boost gauge (I have a 4 bar for sale its BNIB ))
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Cobb did eventually make an AccessPort for the Evo but it came out years later than it should have, maybe something like 2009 or 2010 if I remember correctly. It ended up kind of sucking and not doing as well as it did for the WRX/STI, especially since the tuning scene had been really effective while also being affordable and relatively easy to do.

The ability to switch maps on the AP was always a plus, but not really all that appealing with how easy it was to work on Evos, plus their off-the-shelf maps weren’t anything great. Might as well pay a tuner a fraction of the cost for something custom and way better.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:18 AM

I have been able to find quite a few 6 speed evo MR with low miles compare to the regular evo with a 5 speed. would the rise in some cases of 50k more miles be worth it for the 5 speed or would the lower miles with a built up 6 speed or 5 speed swap later probably be a better choice?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I have been able to find quite a few 6 speed evo MR with low miles compare to the regular evo with a 5 speed. would the rise in some cases of 50k more miles be worth it for the 5 speed or would the lower miles with a built up 6 speed or 5 speed swap later probably be a better choice?
Depends on the power level. I much prefer how the 6 speed shifts, but they are not as stout as the 5 speed in most cases. I would take the one that you know was taken care of, not necessarily how many miles are on it.

I do, however, currently make more power on a 6 speed than I did on the 5, and it has not skipped a beat at 186k when the 5 started to have syncro problems at 75k.

Opinions differ, but that's what great about this community. Whatever information you seek, it's out here.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Depends on the power level. I much prefer how the 6 speed shifts, but they are not as stout as the 5 speed in most cases. I would take the one that you know was taken care of, not necessarily how many miles are on it.

I do, however, currently make more power on a 6 speed than I did on the 5, and it has not skipped a beat at 186k when the 5 started to have syncro problems at 75k.

Opinions differ, but that's what great about this community. Whatever information you seek, it's out here.
I wanna start off with the 500whp range but with this project I am looking to play with 20-30k so 800whp might not be out of the question.

Also yes, I am looking for ones that had low owners, low mods, and have as many records of service as possible.