Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

What to LEASE while keeping Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
What to LEASE while keeping Evo?

I've had my Evo IX SE for almost eleven years, since the day I bought it brand new. It's still bone stock and has been very reliable. I have 112k miles and aside from the usual maintenance, I've only had to replace the radiator.

I had thought about getting something new, but I always eventually brushed it off since I couldn't really justify actually buying a new car since mine ran just fine, and there was no "need" for one, plus it was just impractical to own two cars.

Anyway, I just moved a week ago and live in a place where I could have two cars, so the thought crossed my mind of garaging the Evo and using it as a weekend car and then maybe leasing something. Since I'd still have the Evo, I wouldn't really need to worry about going over the allowed lease mileage (since I could just drive the Evo instead if I get close to the maximum), even though I probably don't drive more than 12k miles annually, but I have a feeling I would, if I had a second car, one that isn't a stick (or at least if it is it has cruise control) and gets pretty good gas mileage.

I'd think about something that isn't too similar to the Evo, because I'd rather not have something that makes it redundant to have two really similar cars. I still want something that's not boring to drive, but it doesn't have to be thrilling either. I don't have a family so I don't need a ton of space. I'm open to suggestions, but here are some things that I've thought of leasing. (Note that since it's a lease, I'm not too concerned with long-term reliability.)

VW GTI
Pros: Reasonably priced, solid power, fun to drive, good gas mileage, good utility when needed (four doors and a hatch)
Cons: Can get pricey if you get the options or higher trim levels

AUDI A3
Pros: Way better looking, way more luxurious, ample power (for the base FWD model, since only the Quattro gets the more powerful 2.0T from the GTI Sport/SE/Autobahn but I don't think I need AWD or the extra juice)
Cons: Probably going to cost a lot more than everything else

MINI COOPER/MINI COOPER S
Pros: Also fun to drive, good gas mileage, small and maneuverable into tight spaces
Cons: Also can get pricey if you get the options, it being small makes it have worse utility than an Evo unless you are trying to move a mini-fridge

SUBARU BRZ
Pros: Sporty, fun, nimble, good gas mileage (especially with the auto)
Cons: Getting long in the tooth even with the facelift, even less utility than a Mini

Thoughts? I ruled out a 3-Series because my brother has one (2015 320i), ruled out the Golf R because while it's really nice it's too similar to the Evo (even though I'm sure it's way more refined, but it would be way more interesting if I were getting rid of the Evo altogether) and not so far ahead of the GTI, ruled out the IS since I don't need something Japanese-reliable, ruled out the C300 because it's going to be as much as a car payment for most other cars I listed.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 07:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Fiesta ST?

I'm on my second lease and I love them. Light, nimble, quick, great steering, good mpg, good torque (disclosure : I tuned mine) Super cheap too, even with Recaros.

My two year lease, fully loaded Fiesta ST (Sunroof, Nav, heated Recaros, etc) is $260/m, 1k down. Two years, 20k miles

I tried the BRZ/FRS again before getting my second lease and meh, Fiesta ST still way better to me.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I’ll look up that one too, thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 08:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I’ll look up that one too, thanks.
You can fit a surprisingly good amount of stuff in the car too for it's small size.

Old Dec 8, 2017, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
fiesta ST!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You don't say but if in a house you might consider a small pickup. I seems like with home ownership there is always something in need of hauling.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model 3
Old Dec 9, 2017, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
Tesla Model 3
Came here to say this
Old Dec 9, 2017, 09:51 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
You don't say but if in a house you might consider a small pickup. I seems like with home ownership there is always something in need of hauling.
^^This, I'm gonna have to throw a furniture blanket on the roof of my evo and strap a christmas tree to the top of it later today. I HATE having to do this every year, Truck will def be my next vehicle purchase.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
^^This, I'm gonna have to throw a furniture blanket on the roof of my evo and strap a christmas tree to the top of it later today. I HATE having to do this every year, Truck will def be my next vehicle purchase.
Artificial trees are leagues better than the ones when I was a kid. Would you consider one of those? One-and-done.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 04:33 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Artificial trees are leagues better than the ones when I was a kid. Would you consider one of those? One-and-done.
If it was up to me we would have bought a fake tree a long time ago. Unfortunately it isn't.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 08:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Small truck, even a used F150 in the $20k range would be a good idea. Infiniti occasionally has really good lease deals on their cars.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I have zero use for a truck and don’t want one. I borrowed my dad’s Tacoma during the moving process and couldn’t wait to get my car back.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Well, then as I said, Infiniti typically runs pretty good lease deals every few months. The new 3.0tt engine is a beast, and the Red Sport 400 Q50/60 is a great car.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I think my chiropractor had one for a few weeks after her Lexus got totaled, I remember her saying she liked it, assuming she was talking about the car and not my back. I’ll look into those too, especially if the lease deals are pretty good.

Quick Reply: What to LEASE while keeping Evo?