Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie looking to purchase car, can you help tell me what has been done?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie looking to purchase car, can you help tell me what has been done?

Looking to purchase a 2013 Evo X, has a few thousand miles on it. It's had some work done, and was hoping you guys could direct me to what mods might have been done, so when I go to look at it I can find my way around the car. I've driven older 'sporty' cars like the 3000GT VR4 and such, so a bunch of the things in the engine bay look rather foreign to me. Especially that filter on the left hand side? Some kind of breather?

You guys see anything that stands out for me to pay attention to?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Newbie looking to purchase car, can you help tell me what has been done?-0q_800.jpg  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Filter on the left is an oil catch can.

Looks like:
Catch can
Upper inter-cooler pipe
Tial QR BOV
Intake/k&N

That's about all that is visible. I would guess it also has LICP, but you can't tell from here.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 05:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
No doubt the 4B11 engine has had some relatively high end work done to it.

Just from that photo you can see the: open air filter, intake piping, catch can set-up, blow off valve.

Very likely that engine could have been built or is on a very high level tune on the stock block

Welcome
Old Feb 23, 2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
No doubt the 4B11 engine has had some relatively high end work done to it.

Just from that photo you can see the: open air filter, intake piping, catch can set-up, blow off valve.

Very likely that engine could have been built or is on a very high level tune on the stock block

Welcome
For real? Why would you think that it has been built or on a high tune? Those mods seem pretty basic.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Milkshakes00
For real? Why would you think that it has been built or on a high tune? Those mods seem pretty basic.
Standard bolt-ons.

Nice quality pieces though, they didn't cheap out.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Standard bolt-ons.

Nice quality pieces though, they didn't cheap out.
Excites me that they didn't cheap out, makes me hope they didn't beat on her for the 30,000 that is there.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 07:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Could be just bolt-ons only but the catch-can & the blow off valve & those 2 black boxes would make me question what all has been done. If youre looking for a modded X, this may be it. (im all for it as my 9 is modded)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Could be just bolt-ons only but the catch-can & the blow off valve & those 2 black boxes would make me question what all has been done. If youre looking for a modded X, this may be it. (im all for it as my 9 is modded)
I wasn't particularly looking for a modded Evo, but this one seems pretty damn clean. I just hope the 30,000 was properly driven. I get going a little hard, but I'm hoping they avoided launching too much. Clutch is one of the first things I want to test. Fifth gear WOT from 40-50 should be a good indicator, yeah?

Any idea what those black boxes could be? I noticed those too.

Edit: Maybe those two boxes are going to the a-pillar which has two gauges on it? Can't make out what the gauges are measuring (I assume A/F and Boost) though.

Last edited by Milkshakes00; Feb 23, 2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I wasn't particularly looking for a modded Evo, but this one seems pretty damn clean. I just hope the 30,000 was properly driven. I get going a little hard, but I'm hoping they avoided launching too much. Clutch is one of the first things I want to test. Fifth gear WOT from 40-50 should be a good indicator, yeah?

Edit: Maybe those two boxes are going to the a-pillar which has two gauges on it? Can't make out what the gauges are measuring (I assume A/F and Boost) though.
Look like HID ballasts to me...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

DO NOT GO IN 5TH GEAR AND WOT, That load can be catastrophic especially if its on higher boost
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
DO NOT GO IN 5TH GEAR AND WOT, That load can be catastrophic especially if its on higher boost
Alright, fair enough. I guess I'll just have to give it a feel and see if the clutch is slipping at all.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Alright, fair enough. I guess I'll just have to give it a feel and see if the clutch is slipping at all.
Put it in 5th while stopped, put the parking brake on, attempt to clutch out.

If car dies damn near immediately, it's most likely good. Any delay and it's slipping.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
Look like HID ballasts to me...
Definitely what those are. What's odd is they are on the one side. Usually they are placed closer to the headlights and out of sight.