Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying my first Evo! Which Gen?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying my first Evo! Which Gen?

Hi! I'm new in this community, I'm about to import an evo, which generation do you think I should buy? I won't be doing too much modding, probably just intercooler and exhaust for now, I want to daily it. Which Generation of Evo would be a good First Evo?
I have driven a manual, my first car was a miata, I've always been interested in getting an Evo!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sciepher1188
Hi! I'm new in this community, I'm about to import an evo, which generation do you think I should buy? I won't be doing too much modding, probably just intercooler and exhaust for now, I want to daily it. Which Generation of Evo would be a good First Evo?
I have driven a manual, my first car was a miata, I've always been interested in getting an Evo!
Daily driver and not too much modding? Evo X for sure. I have a Evo 8 and I have found better quality in the interior on Fisher Price toys, I. am. not. joking. The 4G63 is definitely showing its age especially now. Evo X is much more refined and while the interior is still crap, its leagues ahead of the 8 or 9's.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I don't like how the Evo X looks, it's heavier and it has ACD and AYC.

In my opinion the best is the Evo 8 models that are 5 speed, have Anti lock brakes, NO ACD transfercase and have power windows. (so no RS or MR unless MR was converted to non ACD and 5 speed) .

i have owned both Evo 8 and 9 . The 9 seats are much better but it has ACD. Eventually the ACD pump can or will fail , especially if you drive in snow/salted streets. You don't really need or feel difference for daily driver or most of the racing done.

Yes, the interior is cheap. But you can always modify that. Get double din display radio, AC relocation , wrap interior plastic, etc...

I highly recommend getting an Evo from non Salted roads states . Although you will be daily drive it and I'm not sure if your location uses road salt but starting with non rusted underbody is always better! Body work and rust repair is extremely labor intensive and most expensive .

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Mar 5, 2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 05:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My decision came down based on me sitting in both. I suggest the same. To me the X interior was more quieter. The Evo-8 is more Raw - Race car feeling.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX

In my opinion the best is the Evo 8 models that are 5 speed, have Anti lock brakes, NO ACD transfercase and have power windows. (so no RS or MR unless MR was converted to non ACD and 5 speed) .

i have owned both Evo 8 and 9 . The 9 seats are much better but it has ACD. Eventually the ACD pump can or will fail , especially if you drive in snow/salted streets. You don't really need or feel difference for daily driver or most of the racing done.

Yes, the interior is cheap. But you can always modify that. Get double din display radio, AC relocation , wrap interior plastic, etc...

I highly recommend getting an Evo from non Salted roads states . Although you will be daily drive it and I'm not sure if your location uses road salt but starting with non rusted underbody is always better! Body work and rust repair is extremely labor intensive and most expensive .

yeah I dont mind too much of the interior, since I can always looks onto aftermarket parts. The only thing im concern is how reliable is it. Im willing to learn to maintain and fix an Evo, I really like the evo5-8, preferrably 5-6. But in terms of reliabililty, I can't afford an X, which Gen is the most reliable?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 04:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello & welcome aboard. Great to have you join us on the boards

Heres a good thread that you may find helpful
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html

Joe
Old Mar 5, 2018, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
From what I know the Evo 8-9 are very reliable cars. Like all cars less is more. I would edge over to the 8 being more reliable as it has one less part, such as no ACD pump to break .

This Evo 8 has 430,000 miles and still going strong.

View this post on Instagram
Old Mar 6, 2018, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
How many times was that engine rebuilt? That can't have 400k+ miles on it...wow!

From what I know the Evo 8-9 are very reliable cars. Like all cars less is more. I would edge over to the 8 being more reliable as it has one less part, such as no ACD pump to break .

This Evo 8 has 430,000 miles and still going strong.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be_O3ddD2mQ/?hl=en
Old Mar 7, 2018, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
preach

Originally Posted by youra6
Daily driver and not too much modding? Evo X for sure. I have a Evo 8 and I have found better quality in the interior on Fisher Price toys, I. am. not. joking. The 4G63 is definitely showing its age especially now. Evo X is much more refined and while the interior is still crap, its leagues ahead of the 8 or 9's.

Your one of the few that makes sense get a double din and some different seat and the interior is refreshed.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say if you want a more comfortable and updated ride, go with the evo x. That’s what I did despite wanting an evo 9
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:40 PM

Something stock lol