Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking to purchase my first Evo 9.

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to purchase my first Evo 9.

I'm looking at finally getting into a Evo, more specifically a 9. I first saw an Evo many, many years ago as I watched an old Jackie Chan movie, 'Who am I' (pretty entertaining movie by the way!), and since then, I've always been fascinated by this vehicle.

I almost picked up an Evo 9 MR 1.5 years ago, but just didn't work out. I've gone through a couple modern higher hp German cars since, but they haven't done much for me. I rather dislike how muted newer vehicles feel, and how bloated modern vehicles are. I miss the raw feel, and the smaller size, of the older vehicles.

So I've been looking to get into either a 04/05 STI, or an Evo 9. I love the look and sharper angles of the Evo 9 vs the STI. And the Evo somewhat reminds me of a E30 M3, except it has 2 more doors.

I've seen a few for sale on the forums here. I can't believe the prices on these are so high! Most list/sales prices are easily $8-10k over kbb, and kbb is over inflated usually imo. I assume it's because this is a niche enthusiast market?

So I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you guys here. For instance, here is one I came across:

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...-16820831.html

What are your thoughts on something like this? I'm going after sub-30/35k mile vehicles, preferably 1-2 owner history, as this will be a member of my garage queen fleet, with 1-2 track days a year. I'd prefer no mods, unless they're done well. But I don't know much about the Evo scene. I'm definitely looking through this forum, as there's a boatload of great info here!

Thank you guys!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi awgrocecygetter, at this link you can find a good guide to buy your Evo: http://www.lancerregister.com/art_evobuyersguide.php
Cheers,
Patric
The following users liked this post:
awgrocerygetter (Apr 17, 2018)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
35k? 1 to 2 owners? No mods?

good luck on finding a unicorn, but seriously just read our buying an evo thread and get out there and test drive a few and talk to owners and something will come up,
Old Apr 17, 2018, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by awgrocerygetter
So I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you guys here. For instance, here is one I came across:

http://www.cosmomotorsonline.com/det...-16820831.html

What are your thoughts on something like this? I'm going after sub-30/35k mile vehicles, preferably 1-2 owner history, as this will be a member of my garage queen fleet, with 1-2 track days a year. I'd prefer no mods, unless they're done well. But I don't know much about the Evo scene. I'm definitely looking through this forum, as there's a boatload of great info here!
that link you posted is the total opposite of what you posted about preferring no mods...it's a build motor, turbo, whole boatload of bolt-ons

And yes, expect to pay $28-30k for a sub-35k mile car with 1-2 owner history and little to no mods
Old Apr 17, 2018, 07:58 AM

Thank you for the link, Patric!

Appreciate the feedback. If the going rate is $28-30k, I'm ok with it. As long as that's what the market dictates. Just trying to get a feel of what the Evo market is like.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Alot of the sellers I've seen selling IX in stock form usually want mid 30's or more for them. Check out this listing https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...2nd-owner.html. I know it's a bit more than what you're looking for but finding a stock IX is incredibly hard especially one that hasn't been abused and put back to stock. Buying a built motor is pretty risky especially if there's no documentation on the build.
The following users liked this post:
awgrocerygetter (Apr 17, 2018)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jayevo23
Alot of the sellers I've seen selling IX in stock form usually want mid 30's or more for them. Check out this listing https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...2nd-owner.html. I know it's a bit more than what you're looking for but finding a stock IX is incredibly hard especially one that hasn't been abused and put back to stock. Buying a built motor is pretty risky especially if there's no documentation on the build.
Thank you for your feedback. You're absolutely correct as far as having documentation on a modified vehicle. The selling dealer could not really provide any answers to my questions, as far as build history, service records etc, so I'll pass. And I'd prefer a stock vehicle, or lightly modified (no engine work) vehicle.

But whats astonishing is that the Evo 9 with 45k miles can trade anywhere between $28-35k. I guess it's truly a seller's market due to a possible (or actual) supply vs demand issue?