Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New to the forum and considering an evo

Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum and considering an evo

First off I'd like to say that this forum is far, far more welcoming and than I found with the supra crowd, and reminds me of the foxbody forums I grew up on. So I'm looking foward to educating myself on these cars a bit more now that I finally got a ride in one this sunday at the dirt fish rally cross. Now because of my car history one of my major concerns is long term survivability of the evo 8-9. Which is a seperate thread I'd like to start, just not sure where?

As for my current stable its all blue oval, and well they are old. My daily driver / restomod is an 85 Mustang SVO 2.3T and the reason I'm considering the EVO 8. We have evidence that by 1989 the svo mustang could have been a 2.3T with DOHC and AWD. So to me the evo repersents a naturaul step up tech wise and its a damb good looking car! Anyways my other two vehicles are an 82 Mercury Capri RS 5.0L, and a 79 F150 survivor/parts hauler. (I have pictures if anyone's curious.) Anyways because of the svo I've always considered getting an evo 8 in white (most realistic) or a supra (not likely based on price and attitude of the community).
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hello & welcome

Ive owned an EvO9 RS for 10 years & still enjoying the hobby

You are definitely a car guy & would fit right in w/our gear head group of members

And yes, please post up some "Blue Oval" pics

If you have any specific questions, let me know

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 13, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 02:36 PM

Joe, as for posting pics do I need to use the attachment option on this site, or can I use my Flickr account?

The main question I would like to pose to the forum is: what kind of long term support for parts can we expect especially in say the next 10yrs? An example being with my svo some of the hardest parts to find now are the composite headlights (of all things,) front control arms, heads, throttle position sensors, and engine coolant line's. Some of it is understandable since those cars are all 32-34yrs old now and with a total production of just 9,6xx cars. So with the evo 8-9-s having a total production of just over 21k cars I would think there should be more surviors. But then again due to their popularity for racing, theft, and modding the attrition rate might be way higher.

I've always prefered the look of the evo 8 vs the 9's. But I've been doing some reading up on the differences after finding this thread, Evo production #'s breakdown. The open front diff thing and the AYC has thrown me for a a bit of a loop. How can an awd car have a open front diff? Does only one front wheel propel the car or is the open diff part of the box that sends power to the rear wheels?

Nelson
Old Jun 14, 2018, 06:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by PNWTurboNut
Joe, as for posting pics do I need to use the attachment option on this site, or can I use my Flickr account?

The main question I would like to pose to the forum is: what kind of long term support for parts can we expect especially in say the next 10yrs? An example being with my svo some of the hardest parts to find now are the composite headlights (of all things,) front control arms, heads, throttle position sensors, and engine coolant line's. Some of it is understandable since those cars are all 32-34yrs old now and with a total production of just 9,6xx cars. So with the evo 8-9-s having a total production of just over 21k cars I would think there should be more surviors. But then again due to their popularity for racing, theft, and modding the attrition rate might be way higher.

I've always prefered the look of the evo 8 vs the 9's. But I've been doing some reading up on the differences after finding this thread, Evo production #'s breakdown. The open front diff thing and the AYC has thrown me for a a bit of a loop. How can an awd car have a open front diff? Does only one front wheel propel the car or is the open diff part of the box that sends power to the rear wheels?

Nelson
Nelson, Not sure about the parts availability situation that far down the road. If there is a demand, I hope there will be a supply. EvOs have appreciated in value over the last ten years. I could sell my EvO for what I paid for it, even after adding 30K to the odometer

Not sure about the open diff issue. My RS has a limited slip. Just from experience, if youre not tracking the EvO, its unlikely you would notice a big diff on the street. Certainly if you had to rebuild the front diff, the LS would be a must do

Hoping this EvO would be your 2nd car and not a daily?

Regarding uploading pics, EVOM has their own hosing site. (Its a must, especially after the issues weve been through w/Photobucket). Here how below (super simple)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 07:19 PM

I daily the svo, so yes the evo would be the weekend driver and occasional auto cross toy. This may sound funny but I'd kinda like to keep car fairly close to stock. If anything I feel the bigger intercooler & pipes paired with a bigger down pipe would be about all the mods I would want. Well except if I'm reading the forum right a tune would need to happen to keep the car happy. There's just something about giving people rides in a car thats been well preserved so they can appreciate how far cars have come or fallen.

The photobucket thing really burned a ton of people and thankful I never used that site. So here are some pics of my goodies, keep in mind that my old man was a factory trained ford tech for this era so that was a big influence.

My 79 f150 5.0L, the middle car is the 82 Capri RS 5.0L 4spd (my 1st car and high school car,) and last the 85 SVO with the 2.3T.

Not bad for original paint

The truck is a 114k mile survivor

Im still stunned its in this good of shape for being 39yrs old.

Here ya can see the differences between the two. Alot of people don't realize they are built on the same platform

The svo interior after I had the leather seats recovered.

The GFB electronic boost controller has been a real blessing along with the GFB bypass valve.

I managed to keep the a/c and have my intercooler lol

The factory top mount intercooler in the svo wasn't cutting it anymore so I built this FMIC

Here is probably the only picture of the motor ford planned to build for the svo had it lived on past 1986.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 05:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Great pics there Nelson. Thanks for sharing. A lot of us here on EvOM appreciate other cars as well & we post up our stories here if you havent visited this section yet
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lo...lk-corner-357/

Yes, any engine mods done to the EvO requires a re-tune. Our advice is to do the bulk of your bolt-ons at one time & then tune

Keep us posted on your goal of getting an EvO. Its certainly a huge decision investing in such a project

Hey, heres a shot of my ride. Fresh pic just taken last week

Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 15, 2018 at 08:51 AM.