Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Buy an Evo they said

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cficare68
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/429818-diy-transmission-re-build-tips-14.html

Shimming helps take some of the slack out of the gear set. Here's a DIY article on transmission rebuilds that has quite a bit of helpful information on it. Exedy twin disc HD definitely will help out quite a bit. In my opinion best clutch you can buy for these cars unless you're building something that's higher horsepower. Every exedy twin HD car I've driven feels like it's got a stock clutch with just a little heavier pressure plate on it.
thank you for that link , I should be getting the engine any day now , pretty excited haha , I hope the exedy twin isn't to awefully loud , another thing I wanted to ask fellow members on the forum is about lifters , a lot of people tell me to reuse mine but the engine had high mileage to begin with anyone have any input ? I know new there very expensive and Iv also herd that gsc's brake ? Could be false info but any advise on that would also be great
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonndepp

thank you for that link , I should be getting the engine any day now , pretty excited haha , I hope the exedy twin isn't to awefully loud , another thing I wanted to ask fellow members on the forum is about lifters , a lot of people tell me to reuse mine but the engine had high mileage to begin with anyone have any input ? I know new there very expensive and Iv also herd that gsc's brake ? Could be false info but any advise on that would also be great
You will notice a little chatter when you press the pedal in from the disc vibrating on the floater plate but other than that its not noisy at all. Personally I love the twin hd, By far the most street friendly twin disc i have ever drive. I have the exedy triple in my car at the moment and for a triple disc clutch its honestly not bad at all either. I have read a lot of negative review on the GSC no tick lifters. Few people said that they are taller than the OEM ones and actually cause valves to stay open and not seal properly. I actually bought a set and sent them back because i didn't want to chance it with all the negative reviews I read. The OEM lifter are probably the best lifters you can use. If they are bleed properly you shouldn't have any issues at all. But they are rather spendy for a new set if you don't wanna reuse them. I actually run ITM revise lifters in my car. I have done so for 5 years now and they have been awesome lifters. They aren't overly expensive. you can get a new set of them for around $115 off ebay. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-REVISED...wAAOSwk-1aRxLj). There is a link to them if you'd like to check them out.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 09:50 PM

You will notice a little chatter when you press the pedal in from the disc vibrating on the floater plate but other than that its not noisy at all. Personally I love the twin hd, By far the most street friendly twin disc i have ever drive. I have the exedy triple in my car at the moment and for a triple disc clutch its honestly not bad at all either. I have read a lot of negative review on the GSC no tick lifters. Few people said that they are taller than the OEM ones and actually cause valves to stay open and not seal properly. I actually bought a set and sent them back because i didn't want to chance it with all the negative reviews I read. The OEM lifter are probably the best lifters you can use. If they are bleed properly you shouldn't have any issues at all. But they are rather spendy for a new set if you don't wanna reuse them. I actually run ITM revise lifters in my car. I have done so for 5 years now and they have been awesome lifters. They aren't overly expensive. you can get a new set of them for around $115 off ebay. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/ITM-REVISED...wAAOSwk-1aRxLj). There is a link to them if you'd like to check them out.
you have had good luck with those lifters? my clutch came in man is it a beauty . Hopefully the engine gets here Monday so I can start putting things back together and get this car started
Old Jun 30, 2018, 09:51 PM

Old Jul 10, 2018, 06:47 AM

Iv been so busy Iv forgot to give updates , motors back and looks great just received headgasket and l19's so I'm going to start assembly this week some time , I also bit the bullet on a 6466 turbo kit hopefully everything works out great . It's just coming down to witch cams I'm going to use and injectors
Old Jul 10, 2018, 07:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Iv been so busy Iv forgot to give updates , motors back and looks great just received headgasket and l19's so I'm going to start assembly this week some time , I also bit the bullet on a 6466 turbo kit hopefully everything works out great . It's just coming down to witch cams I'm going to use and injectors
Good deal. Thanks for the update. If you want, you can document your build here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...d-threads-344/

As far as cams, most of us are going w/the GSC line

Old Jul 10, 2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Good deal. Thanks for the update. If you want, you can document your build here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...d-threads-344/

perfect any way I can copy and paste this thread on there ? Or just have to start a new one , and as far as gsc I'm really stuck on s2 or s3's
Old Jul 10, 2018, 07:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts

perfect any way I can copy and paste this thread on there ? Or just have to start a new one , and as far as gsc I'm really stuck on s2 or s3's
Best way is to start a new thread. Include as many pics as possible

Im on the S2's but Im a bit under using them as I only have a small FP turbo. That 6466 turbo is quite the beast. The S3's are for big power, big turbo motors. The idle is to dye for die for. Love it!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

I'm a Kelford man myself. I currently run the 276 High Lift Cams in my car. I am a 2.4 however. They work great for strong mid range. Being a 2.0 with the 6466 I'd say go GSC S3, Kelford 280, STM 650s, or Buschur 280 cams. You'll loose a little on the spool but it will make up for it up top.

Ran same ITM lifters for 5 years now and they've never missed a beat. Even bought a set for my Auto DSM I am building.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 09:16 AM

I'm a Kelford man myself. I currently run the 276 High Lift Cams in my car. I am a 2.4 however. They work great for strong mid range. Being a 2.0 with the 6466 I'd say go GSC S3, Kelford 280, STM 650s, or Buschur 280 cams. You'll loose a little on the spool but it will make up for it up top.

Ran same ITM lifters for 5 years now and they've never missed a beat. Even bought a set for my Auto DSM I am building.
i keep hearing a lot of people having issues with the s3 where it's keeping the valves open and not fully closing
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

i keep hearing a lot of people having issues with the s3 where it's keeping the valves open and not fully closing
Those people probably run the GSC no tick lifters. Stick with OEM lifters regardless of horsepower, but bleed them properly. Do not install them full of diesel when cleaning them, but rather empty. After having both the Exedy twin and triple I can say with most certainty that the Exedy twin is the more reliable clutch in the long term. The triple is a great clutch for track and drag, but not for the streets. It's not because it's hard to drive on, it's not. It is because the spline hub in it's center is a natural wear part for that clutch per Exedy's design. There is a thread about that somewhere around here. Anyway, if you get tired of the floater plate noise, you can always switch to the ACT 6 puck sprung. It holds tons of torque and I now daily drive on it with no noise. The lockout issues can be fixed by adjusting the clutch pedal correctly. The exedy twin/triple will be a better launching clutch overall.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
Those people probably run the GSC no tick lifters. Stick with OEM lifters regardless of horsepower, but bleed them properly. Do not install them full of diesel when cleaning them, but rather empty. After having both the Exedy twin and triple I can say with most certainty that the Exedy twin is the more reliable clutch in the long term. The triple is a great clutch for track and drag, but not for the streets. It's not because it's hard to drive on, it's not. It is because the spline hub in it's center is a natural wear part for that clutch per Exedy's design. There is a thread about that somewhere around here. Anyway, if you get tired of the floater plate noise, you can always switch to the ACT 6 puck sprung. It holds tons of torque and I now daily drive on it with no noise. The lockout issues can be fixed by adjusting the clutch pedal correctly. The exedy twin/triple will be a better launching clutch overall.
Yep I have heard that issue with the no tick lifters as well but not with the S3. I bought the no tick lifters and sent them back after doing further research into them. My tuner personally ran the S3s in his 7 second auto dsm for a season. He liked them but liked the overall performance of kelford cams better and switched back to kelfords and went with the 288 and has stuck with them ever since. I love my exedy triple. At first it wasn't very street friendly but then I found out my slave cylinder was bad. After I put a new one it I was amazed at the difference. Stupid easy to drive and handles whatever I can throw at it with ease.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:08 AM

Sorry iv been so mia guys iv been so busy at my shop iv finally made some progress

Old May 15, 2019, 09:03 AM

I’m really excited to get the car going , to think October will be owning this car for two years and it was literally driven for less then a week , I can’t wait to hear it running

Old May 15, 2019, 12:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Thank you for the pics! Should be fun to crank that motor the first time!

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy an Evo they said