Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Buy an Evo they said

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy an Evo they said

What's up guys my names Jonathan I'm from
New York and I'm new to the evo world , I just acquired a 2005 lightning yellow (I believe) Evo 8. Well I bought it in November , LONG STORY but I have plenty of time to explain lol , I come from a big drag racing family both my grandparents still drag race to this day my grandmother actually drives a 10second chevelle so of course growing up around domestic cars for some strang reason imports really intreged me . My first car was 92 civic si hatch back that I got when I was 16 I still own that car to this day fully built b18 itb built trans etc , so over the years Iv had my fair share of fun with fwd platforms. Up until recently Iv started to make good money as our business has grown as years go on so I finally was able to reward myself to a new car well if that's what you want to call it I was going to buy a c5 zo6 until one day a really great friend of mine who's also a member on this forum changed my life hahaha , I went for a ride in his evo 9 and from that day on it was OVER.... so I started shopping and found a car somewhat local in jersey it was really nice low mile red evo 9 rs , was supposedly stock , one day I was casually looking on Instagram and happen to notice the car on a dyno getting tuned from a pretty well known shop in New York , I also found the previous owner who told me the car was perfect but it needed a t case so that deal went sour .

SO now to begin with my car , well I became impatient and should of continued shopping Well not really but you will understand y in a minute . I found my evo extremely close to me next town over , the car had bolt ons, cams injectors bb fpred and the car was tuned . I also had a few friends that actually knew the car and seen it tell me go for it , that the car was really nice the car does have a lot of miles and is a north eastern car but it's pretty clean I guess . So I end up buying the car everything is great until the second day of owning it . I get in the car after work to let it warm up and it's smoking , mind you I haven't even beaten on this car or launched it or anything of that matter . So I started to bug out , called the previous owner and he didn't know y , so I call forced performance and they tell me to obviously check the oil and see what kind is in it , long story short the car had to much oil in it so it stoped smoking . so on a beautiful fall Sunday I go on a car cruise with a whole bunch of people and I'm cruising had some fun played around with an sti and everything was great ..... I'm cruising in the right lane going 75mph cruising and boom instant loss of power , I shut the car off instantly coast off the highway and park the car , started it and it sounded funny so I imidietly shut the car off I'm thinking maybe it fouled a plug who knows , I go to autozone and they actually had the correct plugs for the car I pull what was in there out and YEP one of the plugs was broken story of my life , so with that being said me and a friend looked inside the motor with a camera and noticed the piston was broken . Mind you I bought the car Friday and the following Sunday this happens OH and the car wasn't actually registered until Wednesday so yea that's how long I drove my evo lol , so now the car is getting a curt brown 2.0 and haven't decided on what turbo setup yet either going to go fp zero or possibly 64/66 I just want to have fun and enjoy a fast car I know things brake but my luck right ? I thought some of you would get a kick out of that , love that this forum is still up and running , id like to hear what some of you guys think.

cheers
Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:31 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Jonathan

Buy an Evo, they said. It will be fun, they said

That was a great explanation of how it all started & where youre at now

Great to hear youre moving fwd w/this issue & getting the motor re-built. Can we get a pic or two of what it looks like?

Certainly great to have you as a new member, especially a real gear head, like yourself

Lets see a few pics

Joe
Old Jun 21, 2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Jonathan

Buy an Evo, they said. It will be fun, they said

That was a great explanation of how it all started & where youre at now

Great to hear youre moving fwd w/this issue & getting the motor re-built. Can we get a pic or two of what it looks like?

Certainly great to have you as a new member, especially a real gear head, like yourself

Lets see a few pics

Joe
thank you joe I appreciate it , I'm also open to any advice guidance on witch direction I should go but let me put up some pictures !
Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:00 PM

Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks Jonathan

EvO looks great, especially that shot of the Enkei's

I guess those are cracks in the piston? Good thing it was caught before it damaged the block! (that happens more than you think)

Is that a pic of your engine being sent out?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 08:17 PM

Thanks Jonathan

EvO looks great, especially that shot of the Enkei's

I guess those are cracks in the piston? Good thing it was caught before it damaged the block! (that happens more than you think)

Is that a pic of your engine being sent out?
thanks ! I since have sold the rpf1's I really want to get a set of te37, advan rg2 or ray 57cr, I just don't know if I'm going to have to roll my quarters witch I don't want to do but I also want to stay 17 and possibly go with gtr face offset specs , but yes there's actually two peices of the piston missing , your going to call me crazy but I have a conspiracy theory that the piston broke before hand (big chunk) and it held compression they threw a new head on it and sent it and I think the guy who I got it from bought it cheap without knowing what was wrong and it ended up getting passed to me I'm guessing it just detonated and that small part broke off ? I'm not to sure because the head wasn't bad at all really had me baffled lol and that's correct that's a picture of the engine being sent
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Definitely a clean looking car for sure. Sorry to hear about the piston that sucks. I had mine down for a year and a half after the balance shaft belt snapped and then on my new motor it lasted 2000 miles before I cracked the rod journal on the crankshaft and took out my number 4 bearing. They can be a handful and a headache. But they are fun cars for sure. I would just say go with the 6466 over the fp zero. I had a 6466 on my car and it was a blast and spooled decently quick for the size of the turbo. I've never been a fan of the fp zero. Stock frame turbos seem to lose stream around 8k rpm. Plus a guy i know that had the zero sent it back to fp three to fix and issue with it smoking and they never could. Guess it just put a sour taste in my mouth about them. Anyways good luck with the build.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by cficare68
Definitely a clean looking car for sure. Sorry to hear about the piston that sucks. I had mine down for a year and a half after the balance shaft belt snapped and then on my new motor it lasted 2000 miles before I cracked the rod journal on the crankshaft and took out my number 4 bearing. They can be a handful and a headache. But they are fun cars for sure. I would just say go with the 6466 over the fp zero. I had a 6466 on my car and it was a blast and spooled decently quick for the size of the turbo. I've never been a fan of the fp zero. Stock frame turbos seem to lose stream around 8k rpm. Plus a guy i know that had the zero sent it back to fp three to fix and issue with it smoking and they never could. Guess it just put a sour taste in my mouth about them. Anyways good luck with the build.
thank you , sheesh you also have had some bad luck , that's good to hear about the 64/66 I think I'm going to go that route , my friend has a black on his car and it's actually a deadly car but I also don't want to deal with the issue of the zero leaking your not the first person to tell me that
Old Jun 22, 2018, 06:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Was having a hard time with that piston pic. Couldnt quite make out the issue in the upper 2 O'clock positon

There is also an issue at the 6 Oclock position as well.

Now, i can see the section missing at the 2 O'clock position (the cylinder wall reflection was messing w/me)

BTW, if you need help w/wheel fitment, hit us up over here. I work this forum quite a bit
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-go-here.html
Heres a stock piston view

Old Jun 22, 2018, 07:18 AM

Was having a hard time with that piston pic. Couldnt quite make out the issue in the upper 2 O'clock positon

There is also an issue at the 6 Oclock position as well.

Now, i can see the section missing at the 2 O'clock position (the cylinder wall reflection was messing w/me)

BTW, if you need help w/wheel fitment, hit us up over here. I work this forum quite a bit
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-go-here.html
Heres a stock piston view

the chunk on my piston was no lie an inch or bigger it's pretty crazy
Old Jun 22, 2018, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonndepp

thank you , sheesh you also have had some bad luck , that's good to hear about the 64/66 I think I'm going to go that route , my friend has a black on his car and it's actually a deadly car but I also don't want to deal with the issue of the zero leaking your not the first person to tell me that
Black is definitely a badass turbo for sure. But if you're gonna be building another 2.0 then get away from the stock frame turbos. Not saying they are bad. But they just don't flow in the higher rpms ranges as well as a t3 or t4 will.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 02:54 PM

Black is definitely a badass turbo for sure. But if you're gonna be building another 2.0 then get away from the stock frame turbos. Not saying they are bad. But they just don't flow in the higher rpms ranges as well as a t3 or t4 will.
yea I think I'm more or less going to go with the 64/66 now I just have to worry about stock t case and trans smh
Old Jun 23, 2018, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonndepp

yea I think I'm more or less going to go with the 64/66 now I just have to worry about stock t case and trans smh
If you shim the transmission you'll been surprised with what it can handle. The t-case will also hold quite well to as long as you are preloading the clutch when you are launching. You're gonna definitely want a twin or triple disc clutch though if you are preloading. The nice thing about 2.0 motors are they don't make as much torque on the low end so they aren't as harsh on the drivetrain like a 2.3 or a 2.4 would be per say. Mine tuner actually when 9.80s on a stock trans that he shimmed, stock non-acd tcase without an lsd, and plate swapped stock rear diff with a quartermaster twin disc clutch. His car made well over 700hp and he actually daily drove it as well.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 09:26 AM

If you shim the transmission you'll been surprised with what it can handle. The t-case will also hold quite well to as long as you are preloading the clutch when you are launching. You're gonna definitely want a twin or triple disc clutch though if you are preloading. The nice thing about 2.0 motors are they don't make as much torque on the low end so they aren't as harsh on the drivetrain like a 2.3 or a 2.4 would be per say. Mine tuner actually when 9.80s on a stock trans that he shimmed, stock non-acd tcase without an lsd, and plate swapped stock rear diff with a quartermaster twin disc clutch. His car made well over 700hp and he actually daily drove it as well.
could you elaborate on shimming the trans ? Or point me to a thread that has info on that I'm interested in that , on another note just ordered an exedy hd twin disc so hopefully that will help
Old Jun 25, 2018, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/429818-diy-transmission-re-build-tips-14.html

Shimming helps take some of the slack out of the gear set. Here's a DIY article on transmission rebuilds that has quite a bit of helpful information on it. Exedy twin disc HD definitely will help out quite a bit. In my opinion best clutch you can buy for these cars unless you're building something that's higher horsepower. Every exedy twin HD car I've driven feels like it's got a stock clutch with just a little heavier pressure plate on it.

Quick Reply: Buy an Evo they said