Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Yet another new Evo owner

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
Yet another new Evo owner

Hello all. I recently got a very clean, unmolested, pretty much stock, silver 06 MR with only 55k on it. Not my first awd car and not my first 4 cyl turbo but my first Evo. I got it to replace my current track car.

Plans for this car are to make it a very good autocross car as well as a decent big track car. With a turbo car, max power doesnt put down the best lap times, a good powerband does. My goal, quicker spooling then stock but only 350 whp on horrible CA 91 gas. Should be possible.

My current track car is a bit different. An old 70 Bug shell sitting on a tube frame and powered by a mid engine supercharged Chevy Ecotec making a bit over 400hp. Ya its fast and fun.

And the Evo

First thing I am doing, full fluid change. Who knows when it was changed last.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 05:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Well, Hey, We are proud to have you join our community. Also a So. Cal EvO owner (BTW, My EvORS is a track day ready car)

If youre going to do a track day build, or even a refresh, we have project car forum. Be great to have track your progress in this thread
See here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...d-threads-344/

Again, great to have you & look fwd to seeing you active on the EvOM boards

Joe
Old Sep 7, 2018, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Joe! What part of Cali are you in? I am in San Bernardino. Would love to check out your car if you are close.

I will be sure to start a build thread after I gather up all my parts. Again, it wont be making crazy power but will be a beast on the track!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 05:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Thanks for the warm welcome Joe! What part of Cali are you in? I am in San Bernardino. Would love to check out your car if you are close.

I will be sure to start a build thread after I gather up all my parts. Again, it wont be making crazy power but will be a beast on the track!
Im near Chino Hills. We can hook up at Fontana on one of their next track days. I go there often & thats where I used to run my track days

BTW, forgot to mention how cool that VW is & you will make a great EvO owner w/your experience

Joe
Old Sep 7, 2018, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Im near Chino Hills. We can hook up at Fontana on one of their next track days. I go there often & thats where I used to run my track days

BTW, forgot to mention how cool that VW is & you will make a great EvO owner w/your experience

Joe
I'm surprised I haven't seen you there! I have been running there for over 2 years now in the Bug. Sometime with my old Nismo RS Juke too. I'm doing the complete NMCA autocross series when it starts next year. Would be cool to see more then 1 Evo there!

Here are some videos of the Bug for your enjoyment! Glad you like it and thanks for the good words!

Old Sep 7, 2018, 06:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Excellent Vids. Yeah, it moves out quick!!. Havent run my EvO at Fontana for over 2 years, but i ran the Roval & not AutoX
Old Sep 7, 2018, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! I want to run the Roval one of these days. Got lots to do before that can happen though. Hopefully I see you at the track sometime!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 08:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Welcome! I'm also in CA. CARB rebels unite.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Kaj! I'll be headed your way next year for a Laguna Seca track day. I went last year but did not get to drive the track. I was in my Jeep so I dont think it would have been that fun anyways haha. I'll let you guys know when it gets closer to time to see of anyone wants to join
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Maybe an Evo motor in the bug next
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by jonno99
maybe an evo motor in the bug next
ej207
Old Sep 9, 2018, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Maybe an Evo motor in the bug next
Originally Posted by kaj
ej207
Sorry guys but that's a no and a no. Evo engine is too heavy. Subaru is just a no in all ways. Never really been a fan of them.

I really like my current destroked 2.4L (now 2.3L). It has a perfect powerband from 2k all the way to 8k rpm. I thank the roots style blower for that. No boost lag is amazing. Plus with the big cams, it has a nice kick in power at 4500 rpm.

Anyone ever take the turbo off and do a blower on an Evo?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 06:05 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
Sorry guys but that's a no and a no. Evo engine is too heavy. Subaru is just a no in all ways. Never really been a fan of them.

I really like my current destroked 2.4L (now 2.3L). It has a perfect powerband from 2k all the way to 8k rpm. I thank the roots style blower for that. No boost lag is amazing. Plus with the big cams, it has a nice kick in power at 4500 rpm.

Anyone ever take the turbo off and do a blower on an Evo?
Meh. Not really a fan of decreasing efficiency and adding heat.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Kaj - Ya I know what you mean. But at the same time, its hard to beat no lag and instant bottom end power. Could be a trade off I am willing to make. With the right blower setup, its pretty easy to keep the IATs down. I typically see around 30-40° over ambient on the Bug when running it hard. Its only doing 9 psi though. But again, overall, turbo is the way to go for power and efficiency.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 06:53 PM
kaj

The boost needed from a blower to make an Evo fast = lots of hot air. I can't really see that being an option. Even Norris (IIRC) kept the turbo.