Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

2006 Evo IX or 2019 STi ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Evo IX or 2019 STi ?

hey guys I’m looking to buy either one of these cars, but have some concerns buying an Evo 9 considering they’re 10+ yrs old and most of these cars are tuned and questionable about the abuse they have been given over the years. I have already test driven the 2019 sti a couple times and enjoyed the ride with the new internals vs the 2018 sti.

However, I have been waiting on an Evo ever since 2005 and now have the funds to buy either car but I’m nervous to purchase a used Evo and run into issues shortly after so I have a few questions for you more experienced users on this site.

1. What should I be looking out for when buying a tuned Evo 9 in terms of red flags to stay away from?

2. What type of questions should I be asking the seller when looking at tuned Evos to purchased?

3. What would be the ideal purchase when looking into older Evos to purchase?

4. What can I do maintenance wise to make sure I run into minimal issues in the future if I decide to purchased a tuned Evo?

I understand these Evos are half the price from the new 2019 sti ($40k), and this is a car I’ve always wanted but don’t want to dump $20k ish on an Evo and run into more and more issues over the next 3 years.

Here is two example Evo 9 I found on Craigslist. If there is other used car websites to look for Evo 9 I’d love to hear where to be looking since I couldn’t find many on Craigslist. I’m thinking about purchasing if someone could review this Evo and get back to me on it I’d appreciate it.

Example1: 2006 evo 9
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...695366674.html

Example2:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...668098886.html

Example3:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...698694478.html

Would love to hear everyone’s opinion on this purchase thanks for your time.

Last edited by whtpope; Sep 22, 2018 at 11:46 PM. Reason: 2 examples to compare
Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard

2 completely diff animals youre looking at. The EvO, being a total tuner car & over 12 years old & the other a new STI

I would recommend if youre looking at getting the CT9A EvO, expect to use only as a 2nd weekend car. Dont recommend these as daily's

Please read this thread which will give you some things to look for. Ultimately have a pre-inspection done by the 5150 shop in OC / Road Race in SFSprings or JRP in Bellflower
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html

That EvO listed has certainly been around the block, so to speak (over fenders & a lot of mods) but may be worth every bit of the 23K asking price

Any questions, let me know

Joe
Old Sep 22, 2018, 05:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
This is an Evo board, so we'll all pretty much say "Evo", but you probably knew that already
The Evo is a great car. I daily drove one for a number of years and had no problems. It's obviously not going to be as comfortable/quiet/refined as a new Subaru.

Do you want "racey car" feel or "nice daily driver" feel?

Things to look out for (we just happened to have a thread on this):
1. "Just needs a tune" = unknown issue with how the car runs.
2. "AC just needs a recharge" = AC needs compressor, condenser, and/or lines, HVAC assly, etc, etc.

Other than that, just due diligence, same as you would any other used car (CarFax, comp test, look underneath, etc).

Cars with built engines/big turbos/etc are sketchy. You never know what you are getting into.

Or, just stick with a new Subaru and have zero worries. It really comes down to how much time/effort you want to put into owning the car.

As for the car you posted: I know it seems insignificant, but the fact that the owner installed ProSport gauges makes me question other work done on the car. The reason I say that, is they are known to be eBay quality and not really work. If the owner was willing to cheap out on gauges, which are relatively cheap but are SUPER important things to have work correctly, then he may have done the same with other stuff. No properly-built car I've ever seen would have a ProSport gauge in it. I look at ALL details when looking at buying a car.. especially one that could have been used and abused and is expensive to fix.

Last edited by kaj; Sep 22, 2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 05:42 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
At this point in the lifespan of the car, if you aren't turning wrenches yourself then your gonna get really familiar with your local shop

Also not really mentioned much because rally car, but gas millage is terrible....for all but the most disciplined among us.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey, welcome aboard

2 completely diff animals youre looking at. The EvO, being a total tuner car & over 12 years old & the other a new STI

I would recommend if youre looking at getting the CT9A EvO, expect to use only as a 2nd weekend car. Dont recommend these as daily's

Please read this thread which will give you some things to look for. Ultimately have a pre-inspection done by the 5150 shop in OC / Road Race in SFSprings or JRP in Bellflower
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oking-evo.html

That EvO listed has certainly been around the block, so to speak (over fenders & a lot of mods) but may be worth every bit of the 23K asking price

Any questions, let me know

Joe
Hey Joe thanks for the feedback. I already have a daily car so this would be something I would take out of the garage to drive weekends or during non rush hour times to have some fun with. I am however not very mechanical but I’m willing to learn so I think having an Evo will get me more involved researching and so fourth but don’t plan on working on the Evo weekly so that’s why I turned to the forums to help decide on how to pick out an Evo that will be low maintenance and give me that thrill I’m looking for.

Also, is there any shops around the Fullerton/Brea area that is well known for servicing Evos? appreciate your help so far.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
This is an Evo board, so we'll all pretty much say "Evo", but you probably knew that already
The Evo is a great car. I daily drove one for a number of years and had no problems. It's obviously not going to be as comfortable/quiet/refined as a new Subaru.

Do you want "racey car" feel or "nice daily driver" feel?

Things to look out for (we just happened to have a thread on this):
1. "Just needs a tune" = unknown issue with how the car runs.
2. "AC just needs a recharge" = AC needs compressor, condenser, and/or lines, HVAC assly, etc, etc.

Other than that, just due diligence, same as you would any other used car (CarFax, comp test, look underneath, etc).

Cars with built engines/big turbos/etc are sketchy. You never know what you are getting into.

Or, just stick with a new Subaru and have zero worries. It really comes down to how much time/effort you want to put into owning the car.

As for the car you posted: I know it seems insignificant, but the fact that the owner installed ProSport gauges makes me question other work done on the car. The reason I say that, is they are known to be eBay quality and not really work. If the owner was willing to cheap out on gauges, which are relatively cheap but are SUPER important things to have work correctly, then he may have done the same with other stuff. No properly-built car I've ever seen would have a ProSport gauge in it. I look at ALL details when looking at buying a car.. especially one that could have been used and abused and is expensive to fix.
hey kaj thanks for your input. I’m looking for a more racey car feel and would like to try out the track once I get comfortable in the Evo in California and Las Vegas since I have a place there as well near by the speedway. Thanks for the heads up on the gauges I also post two other examples (see original post above) so maybe those might be better choices. I know about the big turbos being sketchy as with any tuner car is a gamble but knowing EXACTLY what issues could be pricey fixes is where I lack knowledge on. One of the examples provides a 10k warranty at the shop so that makes me feel better but is that a turning point for pulling the trigger on the purchase? Appreciate the feedback from you and the others on this post so far!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 05:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by whtpope

Hey Joe thanks for the feedback. I already have a daily car so this would be something I would take out of the garage to drive weekends or during non rush hour times to have some fun with. I am however not very mechanical but I’m willing to learn so I think having an Evo will get me more involved researching and so fourth but don’t plan on working on the Evo weekly so that’s why I turned to the forums to help decide on how to pick out an Evo that will be low maintenance and give me that thrill I’m looking for.

Also, is there any shops around the Fullerton/Brea area that is well known for servicing Evos? appreciate your help so far.
Well, this is perfect for ya! (the fact that it will be your 2nd car). Go for it!!!. I use Roadrace, but there have been some good reviews of 5150 in Santa Ana & now JRP Performance is making news out of Bellflower. I may choose JRP on my next engine mechanical job!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:33 AM
kaj

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Being a second car definitely makes ownership less stressful!
allows you you have a lot more fun ,also. 😁