Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New member!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member!

Hey guys my name is Greg, I’m from ny and live on Long Island. Never have I ever thought about doing this but I’ve decided to come to the “dark side”. I own a 03 wrx, was going to do a full build on the car but got into a minor accident and it just made me think. I want a fresher start, need a car that Ik can make some good power and not break the bank too much, so I’ve decided that I want either an evo 8 or 9. I guess I can confidently say that I need some help trying to find s decent evo within my budget. My budget is $15-17k. If anyone can provide me with some assistance it would be greatly appreciated. I actually have my eye on one in particular but it’s from a dealership, we can discuss that later.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 04:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey welcome Greg. We respect the Suby platform or at least i do!

The 4G63 is just a bit more robust, in its design, as you likely know (certainly wouldnt believe that after the event at "The Speed Ring" this weekend (Suby posted the quickest time ever w/our EvO having a mechanical The Suby had a mechanical as well & did not finish)

If you find a car & want our opinion, thrown down the FS link & we will take a look at it. But obviously seeing it first hand & even doing a pre-buy inspection is needed to really get a feel for it

Welcome, Joe

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Sep 23, 2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey welcome Greg. We respect the Suby platform or at least i do!

The 4G63 is just a bit more robust, in its design, as you likely know (certainly wouldnt believe that after the event at "The Speed Ring" this weekend (Suby posted the quickest time ever w/our EvO having a mechanical The Suby had a mechanical as well & did not finish)

If you find a car & want our opinion, thrown down the FS link & we will take a look at it. But obviously seeing it first hand & even doing a pre-buy inspection is needed to really get a feel for it

Welcome, Joe
yeah the 4g63 seems to be a very very stout engine. I’ll attach the link to the car here and a video of a cold start I asked the dealer to send me as well. Please let me know what you think, I need as much help as possible lol.
https://www.jcautosalesny.com/invent...tails/32171777
Old Sep 26, 2018, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gregp7571

yeah the 4g63 seems to be a very very stout engine. I’ll attach the link to the car here and a video of a cold start I asked the dealer to send me as well. Please let me know what you think, I need as much help as possible lol.
https://www.jcautosalesny.com/invent...tails/32171777
here’s the link to the cold start
Old Sep 26, 2018, 09:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, would have been nice to see the engine bay. The engine bay pics tells stories as well. Almost sounds like Cams were installed.

Wonder if the stock alum engine hood is avail? Carbon hoods are mostly a temporary part & deteriorate quickly in the UV. Aftermarket muffler is obvious but unknown how much of the system was done (down pipe, CAT delete pipe?).

Wonder what the engine history is (cams, turbo, tune, compression & leak down test, boost leak test etc)

Leather interior (not my fav but looks like its in OK shape)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Sep 26, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:53 AM

Well, would have been nice to see the engine bay. The engine bay pics tells stories as well. Almost sounds like Cams were installed.

Wonder if the stock alum engine hood is avail? Carbon hoods are mostly a temporary part & deteriorate quickly in the UV. Aftermarket muffler is obvious but unknown how much of the system was done (down pipe, CAT delete pipe?).

Wonder what the engine history is (cams, turbo, tune, compression & leak down test, boost leak test etc)

Leather interior (not my fav but looks like its in OK shape)
I thought it sounded like a test pipe or cat delete was done to the car. As far as cams go I didn’t think it had cams but I could be wrong. I’m goung to check out the car this Saturday and I for sure will be running a compression test on the motor. It just seems like such an easy thing to do since the plus are literally right there lol, unlike on a Subaru. The dealer said the car is stock, I mean maybe it is other than the exhaust but I really can’t tell unless I get a look of what’s under the hood. I’ll ask him to send a pic of the engine bay
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Good call on your part. Looks like you know what to look for.

Cams, depending on spec, are hard to hear, so it could have stock cams. Clean pics of the engine bay, at a few diff angles, can really tell a lot

Keep up posted, please
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:53 PM

Good call on your part. Looks like you know what to look for.

Cams, depending on spec, are hard to hear, so it could have stock cams. Clean pics of the engine bay, at a few diff angles, can really tell a lot

Keep up posted, please
im sure a lot of you watch czero on YouTube so a lot of my knowledge stems from his video on what to look for when buying a “stock” evo. Yes Ik he said not to buy from a dealership but this seems like a pretty fair deal. I also have pics of the carfax I’ll add in here. I bought the carfax, the dealer didn’t provide them.

Just got the pic of the engine bay, only one I got!

Old Sep 26, 2018, 01:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ok that helps

Wonder if the 60K service was done ?? (Timing belt etc). Stock heat shield is missing from the manifold.
Stock intercooler piping in place. Couldnt see the air box, if that was stock?

This EvO had the engine xmbr recall due to its location (NY) & the air bag recall was done. Some of us have not done that yet (including me)

You can tell the car was driven all season w/corrosion on the AC lines & other parts of the engine. An under carriage inspection needs to be done, checking for rust / corrosion damage

Yeah, I watched some of his Vids. He's a good EvO dude & is a member here as well.

If you do negotiate with this dealer, I hope you can work them on price & point out some of these issues we are finding (corrosion damage/missing stock hood, missing heat shield etc, etc). They likely bought the EvO at a substantial discount ($12-$13K maybe / just and educated guess)

Keep me posted, please

Joe
Old Sep 26, 2018, 01:36 PM

Ok that helps

Wonder if the 60K service was done ?? (Timing belt etc). Stock heat shield is missing from the manifold.
Stock intercooler piping in place. Couldnt see the air box, if that was stock?

This EvO had the engine xmbr recall due to its location (NY) & the air bag recall was done. Some of us have not done that yet (including me)

You can tell the car was driven all season w/corrosion on the AC lines & other parts of the engine. An under carriage inspection needs to be done, checking for rust / corrosion damage

Yeah, I watched some of his Vids. He's a good EvO dude & is a member here as well.

If you do negotiate with this dealer, I hope you can work them on price & point out some of these issues we are finding (corrosion damage/missing stock hood, missing heat shield etc, etc). They likely bought the EvO at a substantial discount ($12-$13K maybe / just and educated guess)

Keep me posted, please

Joe
yeah I’m gonna try to negotiate with the guy if the motor and trans checks out to be okay. I’m not sure if the timing belt and pump were replaced yet, that’s one of the things I’m most curious about too. If it needed to be replaced do you think they’d replace it before I buy it? Isn’t there a warranty they follow? And the car had an undercoat applied at 109k and it looks like it was done at another dealer too. Should I be worried about that? I was planning on getting the car up on a lift when I go to check it out on Saturday to get a look for any rust or loose/corroded bolts
Old Sep 26, 2018, 01:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, these snow belt cars need to be looked at!!

Its good to see this car was active w/the dealer & some level of maintenance appears to have been followed.

Make sure you see no corrosion perforations in the suspension attachment points. Good to see undercoating was done (that helps)

The timing belt is a must to replace and 60K is the time required in the service manual (as you know the water pump must go as well).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 04:50 PM

Yeah, these snow belt cars need to be looked at!!

Its good to see this car was active w/the dealer & some level of maintenance appears to have been followed.

Make sure you see no corrosion perforations in the suspension attachment points. Good to see undercoating was done (that helps)

The timing belt is a must to replace and 60K is the time required in the service manual (as you know the water pump must go as well).
yeah so I checked out the car earlier today and i ended up walking away from it. The amount of the rust the car had was unbelievable. There was rust on the inside of the driver side door, rust by the strut towers and the vins numbers on some of the body panels didn’t all match up. The rust wasn’t even just surface rust, it was rot/corrosion. I walked away from the car and didn’t bother to compression test it or anything for that reason.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 04:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I was gonna say that looked like some serious corrosion.
Good call.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I was gonna say that looked like some serious corrosion.
Good call.
yeah they knew what they were trying to do... Is it that hard to find an evo that doesn’t have rust like that? I live in Ny so I can only imagine
Old Sep 29, 2018, 05:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You did the right thing. You may need to put forth an out of state search

Or, there is always that particular owner in NY that never drove the EvO during the winter (hard to find, but those unicorns are out there)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Sep 29, 2018 at 06:03 PM.