Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Help buying Evo 8

Old Oct 8, 2018, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help buying Evo 8

Hey guys, brand new to the forums here. I’m in the market for a evo atm and I’m looking at what’s seems to me a clean example of my dream car. The car seems like it has been taken care of. Very little mods, agency power exhaust, wheels, a turbo timer, boost gauge. Oil temp and af gauge. The car looks like it has been taken care of but what worries me is the turbo timer and the gauges. It makes me think it has been tampered with and parts might have been taken off to restore a stock look. Just wondering what up guys think In terms of sketchiness on the evo.

Old Oct 8, 2018, 02:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Alright. Welcome aboard

The pics look OK. How many miles?

For sure the EvO has been tuned w/the AF gauge. Curious what turbo is installed. Look at the turbo area, including the radiator fins to see if the turbo has been replaced

No big deal, but the front coilovers & camber plate are not set correctly. Front alignment & camber needs checking. If the front end was aligned, they did it all from the bottom & should have corrected & matched up at the top camber plate (as noted no big deal)

Got to see the undercarriage to make sure its not a snow car (check for corrosion damage)

Throttle cable is not in its fwd mount (no big deal) @2006EvoIXer

Joe
Old Oct 8, 2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Alright. Welcome aboard

The pics look OK. How many miles?

For sure the EvO has been tuned w/the AF gauge. Curious what turbo is installed. Look at the turbo area, including the radiator fins to see if the turbo has been replaced

No big deal, but the front coilovers & camber plate are not set correctly. Front alignment & camber needs checking. If the front end was aligned, they did it all from the bottom & should have corrected & matched up at the top camber plate (as noted no big deal)

Got to see the undercarriage to make sure its not a snow car (check for corrosion damage)

Throttle cable is not in its fwd mount (no big deal) @2006EvoIXer
@DontStopMe
Joe

appreciate the reply, the car has 53,000 miles. I don’t have the eye to notice stuff like that. I don’t know as much as I should about evos. I cannot actually look at the car myself because it it for sale in my hometown. (I’m in the military)My friend is planning to go look at it tmrw. I’m going to make sure it gets to a shop before buying. But just from your input alone I feel as if I can’t trust this dealer. I feel this car has definitely been molested engine wise. Not really sure where to go from here
Old Oct 8, 2018, 02:57 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
53K is very low miles so its likely this was not used as a DD. My notes are just minor issues. Hopefully it hasnt had too much engine mods & maybe realtively stock. There was nothing else I could see in the bay that concerns me (stock intake, exhaust mani & diverter valve)

Wonder if the car has its maintenance records?

Ask to have this car put on the lift & have your friend inspect it

@kpt6

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Oct 8, 2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
53K is very low miles so its likely this was not used as a DD. My notes are just minor issues. Hopefully it hasnt had too much engine mods & maybe realtively stock. There was nothing else I could see in the bay that concerns me (stock intake, exhaust mani & diverter valve)

Wonder if the car has its maintenance records?

Ask to have this car put on the lift & have your friend inspect it

@kpt6@Solenoid
i will make make sure it gets up on a lift aswell as a test drive and a real cold start ! Other then that my main concerns would be the 60k maintenance and the clutch/drivetrain issues. I just want to make sure I’m coming into this community with something reliable especially after spending that kind of money! I appreciate your input ! here are a couple more pictures if your interested.

Wonder

Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
You should take a look at my black evo 9 restoration project. Interior will be like new (seats are all in amazing condition). Exterior will need some work (spoiler and paint chips and dings).
Chassis has around 78k miles and I'm putting in brand new evo 9 short block from dealer with upgraded head (pocket port). Valvetrain will all be oem. It will be mostly restored to stock with little upgrades (FMIC, licp, uicp, maybe fuel pump). Turbo will be freshly rebuilt and will have O2 housing and TBE.

​Where abouts are you? Oceanside?​​​​​​
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
You should take a look at my black evo 9 restoration project. Interior will be like new (seats are all in amazing condition). Exterior will need some work (spoiler and paint chips and dings).
Chassis has around 78k miles and I'm putting in brand new evo 9 short block from dealer with upgraded head (pocket port). Valvetrain will all be oem. It will be mostly restored to stock with little upgrades (FMIC, licp, uicp, maybe fuel pump). Turbo will be freshly rebuilt and will have O2 housing and TBE.

​Where abouts are you? Oceanside?​​​​​​
camp pendleton. I am looking to finance the car I do not have a lot of cash on hand
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a reason why you want a 6 speed? It's a nicer transmission but it is weaker than the 5 speed version.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Is there a reason why you want a 6 speed? It's a nicer transmission but it is weaker than the 5 speed version.
no this just happens to be the perfect evo for me. Within my price range, all the mods I would be doing anyways. Wheels that I really like and the lowest miles for the best price. Im very content with how this car looks and what’s been done to it. But I did take a step back and thought. Okay here’s what I like. What’s something I’m not gonna like? I started thinking about what could be wrong with this car instead of just falling in love with it and hoping for the best
Old Oct 8, 2018, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

You will always find something wrong. Lol
That's just how it is with evos. Like Joe said, check around car for hidden rust and verify that all parts have same VIN sticker (hood, bumpers, doors, trunk, engine, transmission rear differential, etc). If any are missing or don't match, then it was replaced. With coil overs take a look to see if it was installed right. Watch out for bandaid fixes and look for misaligned panels. Get a compression test to be safe.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Oct 8, 2018)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
It appears to have been driven in salt, when looking at the engine bay. I wouldn't want to buy one driven in salt unless I planned to do that with the car myself.

Headlights also don't have fogs, so those are regular halogen headlights then. That particular car should have HID's and fog lights. HID headlights w/fogs on these cars are expensive used, and super pricey new. Also, it's possible that the car was in an accident in the front, considering those were replaced.

That's about all I'm seeing/finding regarding the car. Given the gauges and the coilovers though, this car more than likely had other mods on it too, like an intake, FMIC, etc. It would make more sense to me that it had more mods and was returned to the condition it is in now, than that the current mods on it were all the mods that the car has ever had.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Oct 8, 2018)
Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really really really have your friend check the undercarriage and suspension for rust coming from that area. Would be nice to know where the car was from originally or if it's been from the Great Lakes area it's whole life.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by kpt6
It appears to have been driven in salt, when looking at the engine bay. I wouldn't want to buy one driven in salt unless I planned to do that with the car myself.

Headlights also don't have fogs, so those are regular halogen headlights then. That particular car should have HID's and fog lights. HID headlights w/fogs on these cars are expensive used, and super pricey new. Also, it's possible that the car was in an accident in the front, considering those were replaced.

That's about all I'm seeing/finding regarding the car. Given the gauges and the coilovers though, this car more than likely had other mods on it too, like an intake, FMIC, etc. It would make more sense to me that it had more mods and was returned to the condition it is in now, than that the current mods on it were all the mods that the car has ever had.
yeah that’s what I was worried about as well. I’m just so set on this car it’s hard to let go. The vin shows no accidents. At this point I’m on the edge with the car but we will have to see. I have some money put to the side for anything that could go wrong but not enough to fix multiple major issues. What do you think ? In general couldn’t it still be worth it ? I really appreciate everyone’s input on this either way
Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
What about this particular car has you so set on it?

A Carfax showing no accidents doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been in any. Another thing that actually could support a front end collision theory is that it could have lost the aftermarket FMIC in the accident (if it had an aftermarket FMIC), and a stock one replaced it. It's possible. I don't know if it's been in an accident or not, but you can ask for pics of the close-up VIN stickers on the hood and bumper and you can see if they've been replaced that way.

As far as whether or not things might go wrong, it is tough to say. No one here knows how well this car was taken care of by prior owners. It's a crapshoot with these cars. Personally, I view this car as being likely more problematic in the future vs. an ultra-clean Evo. This car isn't all that clean IMO.

And being "worth it" is subjective. The car has been FS for almost two months according to cargurus. If it was so "worth it", it would've sold long ago before you even had a chance. Also keep in mind shipping will add to the cost of this car. You're probably looking at $1200-$1500 or more on top of the price of the car, to ship it to you from IL to CA via open transport.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by kpt6
What about this particular car has you so set on it?

A Carfax showing no accidents doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been in any. Another thing that actually could support a front end collision theory is that it could have lost the aftermarket FMIC in the accident (if it had an aftermarket FMIC), and a stock one replaced it. It's possible. I don't know if it's been in an accident or not, but you can ask for pics of the close-up VIN stickers on the hood and bumper and you can see if they've been replaced that way.

As far as whether or not things might go wrong, it is tough to say. No one here knows how well this car was taken care of by prior owners. It's a crapshoot with these cars. Personally, I view this car as being likely more problematic in the future vs. an ultra-clean Evo. This car isn't all that clean IMO.

And being "worth it" is subjective. The car has been FS for almost two months according to cargurus. If it was so "worth it", it would've sold long ago before you even had a chance. Also keep in mind shipping will add to the cost of this car. You're probably looking at $1200-$1500 or more on top of the price of the car, to ship it to you from IL to CA via open transport.
why I particularly like this evo is because it’s the color I want, these exact wheels are the ones I would put on a a different evo if I were to get one. Already has a exhaust , boost gauges coils. Basically everything I would do to it before I leave overseas. I just want to enjoy a stocking evo before I’m gone for a while and my plan would be to start tuning and adding parts whe I get back.There aren’t any other evos for sale within my area or my friends for this price with this low of miles. It just seems like the best one at this time. you probably disagree but I’m looking to finance this car. Not buy it straight up.

Search this Thread