Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Wondering if evo 9 is a good fit for me?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wondering if evo 9 is a good fit for me?

Hey guys, I’m currently looking at trading in my STi, was interested in something more raw. I drive my car very little so I don’t really need all that many luxuries. The evo 9 seems like a good option, but there were a few specific questions I had in comparing to the STi.
1. Does it understeer from the factory and can you dial in oversteer with modifications better/easier than the STi?
2. Is the shifter very precise in the 5 speed models or vague? My STi even with the STi short shifter is quite vague compared to a Miata or S2000. I don’t mind notchiness but a lot of play isn’t fun.
3. How is the steering feel overall compared to the 2015+ STi? Is it quicker, more or less feel, lighter/heavier, etc.
4. Is the road noise that unbearable?
If there are any other differing characteristics that you would like to add that would be great. I have read the STi feels mushy in comparison, not sure if that only applies only to the GDB or also the VA, either way I’d love to hear all your thoughts. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Oct 12, 2018)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 05:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by subarul
Hey guys, I’m currently looking at trading in my STi, was interested in something more raw. I drive my car very little so I don’t really need all that many luxuries. The evo 9 seems like a good option, but there were a few specific questions I had in comparing to the STi.
1. Does it understeer from the factory and can you dial in oversteer with modifications better/easier than the STi?
2. Is the shifter very precise in the 5 speed models or vague? My STi even with the STi short shifter is quite vague compared to a Miata or S2000. I don’t mind notchiness but a lot of play isn’t fun.
3. How is the steering feel overall compared to the 2015+ STi? Is it quicker, more or less feel, lighter/heavier, etc.
4. Is the road noise that unbearable?
If there are any other differing characteristics that you would like to add that would be great. I have read the STi feels mushy in comparison, not sure if that only applies only to the GDB or also the VA, either way I’d love to hear all your thoughts. Thanks.
Hey, Hello & welcome
Have owned my EvO9RS for 10 years so will try and answer your questions
  1. Yes, the EvO is prone to understeer due to the factory settings & the overall heavy front end. Yeah, most us run a heavier rear sway bar & leave the front sway bar stock. The rear bar certainly helps w/a more neutral feel. If you get more serious, we re-stack or change out the rear diff plates which really helps w/some throttle oversteer
  2. I have a 5 speed and dont find the shifter / tranny vauge. It is notchy but works well. We have some strong trans builders if interested in building a more robust trans. Ive got 60K on my stock trans & have tracked it. The only upgrade, ive done, is an ACT clutch.
  3. The steering is very positive & precise. The turning radius is truck like LOL and U-turns are a bit tough, at times
  4. I have an RS which is built less any sound deadening. NVH is certainly subjective, but the EvO chassis is well built & the unibody was reinforced & extra spot welds put in place. My EvO is my weekender only & I enjoy the full open exhaust & all the mechanical sounds
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
All great info shared from MinusPrevious. I too am an RS owner and mine is closer to stock as for power mods. I don't find many cars that can hang with the Evo. As an active autox my car sees little to no street miles on it. If you want a comfy silent ride be sure to seek out the trim models that offer the luxury features ( MR, SE, etc ). Where the Evo shines is what you CAN DO TO IT! Like the Subi owners you have all walks of life and people building in different directions. The Evo can be built to your needs, that's what is great about it. Also power mods seem limitless with these cars. This past weekend was one of the Dyno tune days and a close friend with an RS with minor investment in the motor and a flex fuel tune put down over 400 whp and 400 wh tq.. It has me thinking of doing the same. If you want raw like you say the Evo is that car. All I can say is happy hunting, they are getting harder and harder to find.
MinusPrevious (Oct 12, 2018)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
^^^Well Said my RS Bro

The RS is a true Raw Ride
Wanted EVO IX (Oct 12, 2018)