Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newb coming from subarus... maybe.. probably

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newb coming from subarus... maybe.. probably

Hello everyone!

I'm contemplating picking up an evo. When i was about 14 I always wanted a blue by you evo 8 but it never happened. I ended up with subarus. I've had two 2002 wrx's and an 06 sti. Though i've always kinda wanted an evo so i'm currently looking at 2006s because I don't want a car with LSDs and they are the only year my bank will let me finance ha. Does anyone else have experience coming over from subarus? Specifically the 06/07 sti? I threw in some photos incase anyone was curious. If subarus are not allowed I can remove them! ha

The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Dec 5, 2018)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hey Ben, Welcome aboard

You and i are similar. I was so seriously looking at a 2003 Bugeye but wound up meeting a Gent who was an Evo mechanic. He explained all the differences & long story short, been a EvO9RS owner for 10 years

Love that pic. If you have any questions, let me know

Joe
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:35 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
What do you mean by:

Originally Posted by mynamesbennn
I don't want a car with LSDs
???

Welcome! I had an '06 Evo IX MR then went to an '05 WRX. I was so disappointed, I sold it in 6mos and bought another '06 Evo IX MR. I overpaid, but it was worth it

In the end, it's up to you, of course, since your preferences may differ from ours. I.E. I liked how the WRX was a comfy ride. I also liked how the doors had no frames around the windows, so when you roll them down, it's just door (silly, but I really like that). Otherwise, I wasn't much of a fan: The noise the car made was tolerable after ELH were installed, but I still wasn't a fan (I don't like "ineffecient" sounds of Subarus, Harley's, etc), it didn't make much power (not the end of the world), and I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I needed more out of a car. In it's defense: It did pretty well around Laguna Seca on an actual street tire. Other than being really slow up the hill from turn 5, it was pleasant to drive and really predictable.
Then:

Now:

That WRX didn't stand a chance, considering what I needed it to do.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 04:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Jason, you have good taste & a great eye for what looks right. Your Suby looked great / nice stance for sure
Old Dec 5, 2018, 05:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Jason, you have good taste & a great eye for what looks right. Your Suby looked great / nice stance for sure
Thanks! It looked better with the Sti fog lamp covers and Limited spoiler..but sold the car before I took pictures.
That was the first and only time I've ever daily driven baller wheels (Rays)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Hey Ben, Welcome aboard

You and i are similar. I was so seriously looking at a 2003 Bugeye but wound up meeting a Gent who was an Evo mechanic. He explained all the differences & long story short, been a EvO9RS owner for 10 years

Love that pic. If you have any questions, let me know

Joe
Awesome! I honestly love how the bugeyes look just hated the no LSDs and horrid steering ratio. Sure they could be fixed but I sold it for the sti and the sti for a house ha but it's time to get something I'll enjoy again!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
What do you mean by:

???

Welcome! I had an '06 Evo IX MR then went to an '05 WRX. I was so disappointed, I sold it in 6mos and bought another '06 Evo IX MR. I overpaid, but it was worth it

In the end, it's up to you, of course, since your preferences may differ from ours. I.E. I liked how the WRX was a comfy ride. I also liked how the doors had no frames around the windows, so when you roll them down, it's just door (silly, but I really like that). Otherwise, I wasn't much of a fan: The noise the car made was tolerable after ELH were installed, but I still wasn't a fan (I don't like "ineffecient" sounds of Subarus, Harley's, etc), it didn't make much power (not the end of the world), and I just didn't feel comfortable with it. I needed more out of a car. In it's defense: It did pretty well around Laguna Seca on an actual street tire. Other than being really slow up the hill from turn 5, it was pleasant to drive and really predictable.
Then:

Now:

That WRX didn't stand a chance, considering what I needed it to do.
Both super clean! Also I meant I want to have LSDs front and rear preferably!

I've audi heard subarus ride smoother but I don't mind done bumps as long as it turns fast I'm happy haha

Old Dec 6, 2018, 08:38 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by mynamesbennn

Both super clean! Also I meant I want to have LSDs front and rear preferably!

I've audi heard subarus ride smoother but I don't mind done bumps as long as it turns fast I'm happy haha

Absolutely. The Subaru was comfortable and did okay, but nowhere near as responsive as the Evo. It was definitely more of a road car. To be Expected, though, considering they aren't in the same "weight class". The Sti also isn't, from what I've heard, but I don't know personally.
And yeah: the Evo IX has an LSD front diff, so you are on the right track.