Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

2005 MR or 2005 STI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 MR or 2005 STI

I am begining to get inpatient and because of this I am considering an 2005 STI over an MR. I can drive an STI off the lot tommorrow and I cannot even order an MR yet. There is not even any good info on when it will be available. Has everyone seen the autoweek article "Subaru WRX STI Pushes Past Mitsu's EVO MR For Rally Supremecy" . It seems like the 2005 STI has some big improvements. Thought would be appreciated.http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...69677&record=1
Old Jul 18, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DON'T DO IT the MR will smoke that thing on a track especially that it has the new ACD+front helical limited slip and possibly AYC as well as the new blisteins shocks fro increased response It also comes with more power since the turbo is slightly larger than previous model.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 07:31 AM

umm there talkin about the Japanese Version not the US one. And if you have ever seen the Top Gear Video the MR smokes the WR1 special edition STI by like 4 seconds on the track
Old Jul 18, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

this is a big plus if the MR doesnt havent it. Because if the US STI has it and MR doesnt big advantage. No clue how MITSU is doing anything. Their sales are down 48%.

But the most important addition is a yaw-rate sensor that works in conjunction with the active center differential and the new helical front differential to provide increased cornering grip and reduced understeer.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 07:41 AM

WR1 isn't hardcore like Spec C nor is it the new improved (05) STi. MR and Spec C usually run neck to neck (Jspecs).
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

i would at least wait for the MR. then if you don't like the MR, maybe STi. Don't be impatient. Things go wrong when you are impatient. Wait and then make up your mind. Keep in mind that there is no new information (US version) about the subarau sti (only japan version in autoweek article). Mitsubishi has not released all the information regarding the Evo's (all trim models, the 8, RS, and MR). I have been waiting also for the past 2 years for new features to be available. I like the Sti, but I think i will fall in love with the MR. The key is too wait and see.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by godai
WR1 isn't hardcore like Spec C nor is it the new improved (05) STi. MR and Spec C usually run neck to neck (Jspecs).
Nurburgring times for
MR (not sure if GSR or RS): 8:13
Spec C: 8:06
NSX: 7:56
M3: around 8:20
M3 CSL: just under 8:00

Note al of them are either JDM or Euro spec.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 08:15 AM

The new Spec C did Nurburgring in 7:59s, the video is on the jdm web site. Also USDM 05 STi is out and includes most of the new JDM improvements.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

the spec C is a stripped, race tuned version of the STi, you shouldn't be able to compare it with a stock MR, and by the very fact that you can, is testiment to the MR. Wait until the MR VFQ400 comes out in the UK, and watch every subaru disappear . Hell, even an MR320 will smoke STi's, Spec C's and Type 25's.

Subaru will always come 2nd best to mitsubishi, fact! Subaru tend to build more everyday friendly cars, whereas mits don't care, they just go faster
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:26 AM

Each has its pros and cons. To say one smokes the other is just childish.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

hence me saying that the Subaru is more friendly to use everyday...softer ride, cheaper insurance, better MPG...wheras the EVO is most definitely set up for going faster, even though the MR has awesome bilsteins, which feel softer, yet perform like nothing else.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:39 AM

You make it sound like STi can't perform at all.. I wonder how fast the newest MR can lap Nurburgring in.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think stock USDM STI vs. MR I'd pick the MR - it's likely to be faster and more hard core.

BTW, a fair comparison to the the spec C would be an MR-RS with an FQ-330 upgrade.

The USDM STI is actually quite close to the spec C. The pain about the USDM STI is that it has a turbo that is limiting power output, it has different heads than a spec C, different steering ratio, different springs, different suspension bushings, as well as some more details - that's a lot of money to change if you are looking to get that hard edge feel. However it certainly has torque up the wazoo.

The spec C in its various iterations certainly has been impressive at the Nurburgring. If anything, the slight nose heaviness of the Subaru may be an advantage there as Evos have sometimes been known the to leave the road with the tail end first there.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:32 AM

If they put in a better turbo in the USDM STi then it wouldn't be a 300hp car.. it would be 350hp+ (Type25). I think thats a bit overkill jump from a WRX. I also think the suspension differences between USDM and Spec C aren't too much. It's a lot easier upgrading those things than say from a USDM Evo to JDM/Euro spec.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:44 AM

I'll be putting down a deposit soon for the new MR. I'm coming from a WRX, and I've gone through the STi vs. EVO debate 100 times. Both are performance cars, both are just about equal, but IMO the EVO beats out the STi in the looks department.

Quick Reply: 2005 MR or 2005 STI