Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Changing color of gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing color of gauge cluster

I know i'm not the only one on the forum who's trying to change the gauges of an OZ to a different color other than stock red, and white when you take off the bulb covers.... if anyone knows of a direct bulb fit please post... or if anyone has any other ideas in mind or have tried please post... my recent idea was to take a thin neon that would fit behind the gauges themself... just an idea and something to experiment with...led doesn't disperse light so well, so unless someone knows of a good idea to make it other wise post! let's put our minds together people!

Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:16 AM

Hey the exact bulb fit is a t1.5 twist and lock led, look for the wide angle led's as you will get a more spread out pattern i believe www.superbrightleds.com has some of the t1.5. Also all of this information could have been found by running a search.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

k.. i've seen posts about the t1.5... so if this is the correct bulb... and i see them here on this website-
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....26535&next=50
i see that the actual bulb is a 74... the t1.5 is the actual base with a bulb... so is it just possible to buy 4x 74 and use the original blue base found behind our clusters?
my point in this thread is to make it official... i've been searching and reading all posts on this topic... i want newbies and veterans to know they can search and find this thread instead of what i have done for the last couple days... get a headache clicking and reading...
Old Sep 22, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

judging from the bulbs I bought from them, and the ones I took out of mine, it probably wouln't work to try and re-use the base on those. I'm not sure what's confusing about it. I found the list of bulb numbers, orderd one that was a direct replacement and was done with it.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you try the neon thing, i would suggest getting a cold cathode tube instead. a bit more durable and brighter. also wont produce excess heat. search PC mod sites. you can usually get a kit for ~$25. should take any 12v supply
Old Sep 24, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Acually this is the type of post I was looking for. I just ordered my bulbs. I'll post pics when I'm done
Old Sep 24, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

or u could get this
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

do you have to get different bulbs for that???? Cuz i already took out my stock red ones and put in the blue ones from superbrightleds.com and i looks like ****. I got the 1.5t wide angle or something. Dont waste your money i have to turn on my done light everyonce in a while to check my speed at night now.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

SIMSSEGA -- I took and glued little pieces of paper to the ends of the LED's to get the light to diffuse. Not as bright as the stock bulbs, but seeing that LED's (even wide angle ones) are very focused, it's pretty good. Don't have a camera that takes good pics of it though, just try.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Recon

or u could get this

Where did you get that, or how did you do that?? I must have it

- Jason
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The hard truth is, there is no wasy or good way to change the gauge cluster colors. I have searched and searched and spoken with many and have been asked by many if there is a way. I have tried painting the stock bulbs with a glass paint (picked up at an Arts and Craft store). It worked wonderfully to change the color to blue (what I wanted). However, the bulbs were a lot dinner than before and I could only really see the gauges if it was completely dark. So, I scrapped of the paint and went back to stock red for the time being. I have not given up however. I have some other ideas right now. I will have my gauges blue. One idea I have is to dip coat the bulbs. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Anyway, if anyone does find a bulb size/number for our stock bulbs, let me know. I can get the bases, but not the bulbs. Also, only the odometer bulb is the #74 in the T1.5 base. The other three (OZ Rally) bulbs are larger than 74, but smaller than 194.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

have you tried blue celophane?
Old Sep 25, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

What do you guys think of this ****?
Attached Thumbnails Changing color of gauge cluster-21084133755.jpg  
Old Sep 25, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

that looks pretty slick, not from a USlancer tho based on the km/hr
Old Sep 25, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Yep it is an OZ!!!!! I thinks hes in canada though.