EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Drillign the firewall! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/535164-drillign-firewall.html)

bnr34rb26dett Jan 19, 2011 05:30 PM

Drillign the firewall!

So i have couple cables that needs to run though the firewall.

1. I know of that hole on the passenger side of the car behind the strut. and its being used with 0 gauge battery wire running throuhg.

2. I also know of the driver side fender option. I just do not feel like extending all my cables.

so.
i need to drill a hole in the firewall for my gauges.
i was just wondering whats the best place to drill a hole safely and without flooding the car.

any pics/ comments/ suggestions would help
thanks

waynea Jan 19, 2011 06:21 PM

I recommend extending cables
I am almost certain that both the driver and passenger side have the option under the fender.
I am almost certain that there are two holes behind the passenger strut, one on the back, one on the side wall.

remove the front fenders, check around a bit

if not places like summit have grommets to seal the fire wall, but will not seal as well as stock
probably the best place is behind the strut tower, but you would probably have to remove the dash to drill the hole

j.liu Jan 19, 2011 08:16 PM

the higher the better lol

evo8426 Jan 19, 2011 09:04 PM

gauges are not worth hacking up your car. run them through existing holes instead

Tfresh Jan 19, 2011 09:28 PM

I always would try to use the stock grommets when possible

bnr34rb26dett Jan 20, 2011 06:40 AM

hmmm i might have to extend the cables and run them through the firewall.......

fastcolt Jan 20, 2011 06:49 AM

There's a huge rubber gromet on the passager side that the main wiring harness runs through. I put a slice (very carefully with a razor blade) in that and ran an 1/8 inch line for my meth. Should be able to run 0 gauge wire the same way.

D-Mon3y69 Jan 20, 2011 06:51 AM

Ya I went through the hole near where the passanger rider's feet for my gauges. Pretty much behind the glove box.

fastcolt Jan 20, 2011 08:15 AM

Yup, you can fit pretty much anything wire or line related through there.

Tims2006MR Jan 20, 2011 09:04 AM

their is a grommet under the center console of the passenger side i used to run all mine

bnr34rb26dett Jan 21, 2011 10:23 AM

thanks for the comments guys.
i see the rubber grommet you guys are takling about. did you guys drill a hole through it or something? i probably would need an inch diameter hole

Tims2006MR Jan 21, 2011 10:41 AM

no just put a slit in in and it will form around it put a X in it and keep it small

06MREvo Jan 21, 2011 10:46 AM

There is another grommet behind the left shock tower...If you pull the glove box out and shine a flash light in on the right side you can see it...I ran my oil pressure gauge wiring through there...Not on my car but other people's cars I've run boost gauge wiring and vacuum line through there also...You can easily run other gauge wiring through there also...looks clean too...

drocksmash Jan 21, 2011 11:38 AM

rat chewed through my firewall and nested in my cabin air filter....I destroyed the rat, but have yet to seal my firewall and have 0 issues. He chewed at the top of it on passenger side

bnr34rb26dett Jan 21, 2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by drocksmash (Post 9008306)
rat chewed through my firewall and nested in my cabin air filter....I destroyed the rat, but have yet to seal my firewall and have 0 issues. He chewed at the top of it on passenger side

lol what
do you have pictures? it should be interesting to see lol