EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   Evo air bag recall important tip (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/722626-evo-air-bag-recall-important-tip.html)

ZanarkO Dec 11, 2015 10:11 AM

Evo air bag recall important tip

IF YOUR CAR HAS A RECALL FOR AIRBAGS OR ECU AND YOU ARE TUNED, TELL THE DEALER TO NOT TOUCH YOUR ECU OR FLASH A SINGLE THING! MULTIPLE PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN THEIR EVO IX AIRBAGS REPLACED AND THERE SEEMS TO BE AN ECU REFLASH RECALL AS WELL AND THESE GUYS ARE LOSING THERE TUNES.

Maybe sticky considering the airbags NEED to be replaced.

Speedlimit Dec 11, 2015 11:39 AM

Thank you for posting and I'll stick your thread.

Bob

evo8426 Dec 11, 2015 11:49 AM

Not sure why it is a sticky thread. I have yet to hear of this actually occurring, nothing posted locally and if I'm not mistaken nothing has been even posted on this site.

Don't be surprised if you take your car in for recalls and tell them to take care of it as they will do everything that isn't notated in the system as being completed. So basically, request for the airbag recall only.

DarthBerto Mar 7, 2017 08:03 PM

Thank you! I got that letter a bit over a year ago!

RHD Feb 12, 2018 09:35 AM

Is it really necessary to have the Airbag changed or can I just leave it alone? don't want the dealer or techs messing with the car and taking a joyride.

Biggiesacks Feb 12, 2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by RHD (Post 11803430)
Is it really necessary to have the Airbag changed or can I just leave it alone? don't want the dealer or techs messing with the car and taking a joyride.

I think thats a personal call. I didn't have mine changed, but I did disable it. If you choose not to do the recall I would suggest you consider doing the same. Airbags are already pretty dangerous, controlled explosion pointing at your face and all, and people have died because of this defect.

MinusPrevious Feb 12, 2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11803436)
I think thats a personal call. I didn't have mine changed, but I did disable it. If you choose not to do the recall I would suggest you consider doing the same. Airbags are already pretty dangerous, controlled explosion pointing at your face and all, and people have died because of this defect.

In the same boat. AB is disabled.

kpt6 Feb 12, 2018 03:13 PM

Did you guys who disabled it find a way in the ECU or airbag ECU to disable the light, or did you just remove the bulb?

Biggiesacks Feb 12, 2018 03:19 PM

the bulb is probably the easiest way that i know of.

Jonno99 Feb 12, 2018 03:44 PM

Took me a year to think about it and this is what I did

1. Taped up my port and left a note hanging off it, this is a custom tune do not reflash my ECU
2. Took photos of all the scratches inside and out on the morning that I took it in.
3. Arrived at the stealer, parked it in front of the service desk, walked around it with the service manager and noted all the scratches inside and out, told him I had pics of each one. He wrote them down on the maint sheet.
4. I had a clearly typed out A4 message and copy, of what I expected of them and to let me know if they need to drive it beforehand, had my mobile number on the paper and they needed to SMS me. If there were any scuffs or scratches on the dash they had to let me know for further action, I would be checking anyway. I also noted there was no warning lights up on the dash and it was tuned and ran well. I gave a copy of this to the service manager and left one taped to the dash. I also had sheets across the seats to keep it clean.
5. I told them I was going to wait for it as I had no other transport, they previously said it would take 2 hours on the phone so that's what I expected.
6. Before they drove it off to the maint yard I told the young guys there who also loved Evo's that this was my project car and it took me years to get it looking like new.

The end result was it was back in front of the yard, within an hour, they hadn't driven it as I think they were to scared to...lol I asked about the dash and the removal of it, they said they got to it without pulling the dash, something about one of the guys has small hands, I checked the maint sheet that I got a copy of and it stated clearly that recall had been completed and airbag replaced. As long as I had that I was good to go.

There was no issues at all after that and that was 6 months ago. There was another recall they did and that was the headlight switch arm. I didn't care about that one as it didn't involve pulling the dash and they did that at the same time.

RHD Feb 13, 2018 06:45 AM

Thanks for the info guys...going to drop by the stealer lol and talk to them. Have a great day everyone.

islaw Mar 9, 2018 06:06 PM

Thanks

Thank you too. I wasn't sure how to do the recall for my ecu.

BillAce Jun 22, 2018 07:38 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...d9c3e08791.jpg

Just brought my car for airbag and k member. Took things apart myself for peace of mind .Hope all goes well. There is a ton of aftermarket wiring

MinusPrevious Jun 22, 2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by BillAce (Post 11827600)

Just brought my car for airbag and k member. Took things apart myself for peace of mind .Hope all goes well. There is a ton of aftermarket wiring

Well done Bill. That pics says only one thing: I am making this job as easy as possible as I dont implicitly trust YOU!!! :crap: (would have done the same myself)

Biggiesacks Jun 22, 2018 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by BillAce (Post 11827600)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...d9c3e08791.jpg

Good Luck, at least you know they can't flash your ecu :lol: