EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   What made you want to purchase your Evo? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/747806-what-made-you-want-purchase-your-evo.html)

yozo Apr 5, 2018 04:07 PM

What made you want to purchase your Evo?

Hello everyone, apologize for an off topic question (why I threw it under general), but I am doing an ethnographic study and wanted to know why you personally, purchased an evo/ what made you want to join the car scene? What did you see in the Evolution that made you say "I need this" and what got you into modified cars?

I know I purchased mine because I love the style of it. They are also pretty rare in my area. I'll go at least a week or more without seeing one but I'll see STIs every day. I got into modifying cars because I'd always be playing Need For Speed when I was super young hahah. I felt as if the Evo was a rare, beautiful car that can be made to go faster than some high end sports car and still have money left over. The love for building something unique and special to me, and the thrill I get driving it.

Thanks everyone :)

huzzle101 Apr 5, 2018 06:53 PM

Why not. Well i grew up loving Evos, back home from the evolution 1 up to the 9 i saw them on the roads all the time, i loved how they looked, the 4 for some reason was my favourite, i loved the lines, loved the sound of the engine. It has always been my dream car, all my friends wanted M3, or skyline(i still love these too) some wanted Type Rs, i owned an EP3 type R and loved it but the evolution was always out of my reach until i came up here. Finally got one recently and love it.

evo9_mike Apr 5, 2018 07:50 PM

Heading into college I wasn't really into the car scene. Didn't really know much about them. I was a fan of all the old muscle cars but my roommate and a few others in school brought me into the import scene. One buddy had a celica and then a supra. Roommate had a civic and then a BMW. I sold my Pontiac grand prix I had since high school and got a non turbo Talon. This led to a 90 GSX, then 91 TSI and soon as I graduated and landed a good paying job, made the leap to my 06 MR.

All the cars leading up to the evo had me wrenching, researching builds and everything else it is that we do to our cars. I choose an Evo over the heavily popular WRX/STI that are in every other drive way in my area. I like owning something different than what everyone else has or everyone else likes.

barneyb Apr 5, 2018 08:15 PM

I had owned a couple of great handling cars and was spoiled. But, rear drive cars were a handful in winter. If you want to improve your driving skills, drive something through a short ice age that has no business seeing winter. So, I bought a 1992 DSM AWD trubo. The handling was a step down but once winter met AWD I was a convert.

That my DSM was reliable transportation I credit mostly to continuous maintenance and repair. So, when the Evo made it to US shores I figured it was just another DSM and since I was used to working on my DSM, I was interested. When I found the Evo possessed both handling and AWD, that sealed the deal. Fourteen years and 4 months later, I still like it.

Petter Apr 6, 2018 03:32 AM

I had no experience with any sort of sports car. I always wanted one, from i was a kid my biggest dream was an r34 gt-r. However, i came to an age where i had read and watched clips and movies and everything. I was also in the market to buy a sports car, in addition to my winter beater. I was roaming the European market for weeks and months, i almost bought a r33 gt-r, but i ended up buying my evo a month later. my reason was simply this. I wanted a JDM performance car. I wanted either an evo or a skyline. And i ended up with my Evo. Haven't regretted it for one second. :)

Jonno99 Apr 6, 2018 03:56 AM

Its the best poor mans sports car money can buy

EVOFans Apr 6, 2018 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99 (Post 11814373)
Its the best poor mans sports car money can buy

Technically it is a sports sedan hahaha

yozo Apr 6, 2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11814350)
I had owned a couple of great handling cars and was spoiled. But, rear drive cars were a handful in winter. If you want to improve your driving skills, drive something through a short ice age that has no business seeing winter. So, I bought a 1992 DSM AWD trubo. The handling was a step down but once winter met AWD I was a convert.

That my DSM was reliable transportation I credit mostly to continuous maintenance and repair. So, when the Evo made it to US shores I figured it was just another DSM and since I was used to working on my DSM, I was interested. When I found the Evo possessed both handling and AWD, that sealed the deal. Fourteen years and 4 months later, I still like it.

Right I love the GSX and still trying to find one as a daily. AWD is another thing I forgot to mention in wanting the evo. The winters in PA can be ridiculous and I drive to the mountains to snowboard a lot so I think the Evo is a very reliable car. Been daily driving it since 2014 (hate myself for that though haha)

LetsGetThisDone Apr 6, 2018 10:10 AM

It was between the Evo, a new 2014 Mustang GT performance pack, and a used 2012 STI when I was looking at cars in November 2013. When I drove the Evo, it was a no brainer.

colt.adam45 Apr 14, 2018 03:25 PM

I have been obsessed ever since i saw the Evo X, love at first sight. for years i wanted a 1970 Dodge Challenger, i was looking for used ones, trying to save up money, but when the Evo X came out, i lost interest in muscle and started researching tuners. the amount of personality this community puts into their cars is too attractive for me. I had to be a part of it.

RS200 Apr 14, 2018 08:27 PM

I always loved the early Evos after reading an article about one, I think in Sport Compact Car magazine around 2006. Very cool, small, unique, quick. I saw mine in 2008, tattered and abused, with so many cool parts. I felt so bad for the car, and I had to have it. Bought it at a salvage auction and I've never looked back.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/attachment...o2-jpg.262585/

jheff Apr 14, 2018 10:04 PM

It is my childhood dream car. And after driving a friends, I couldn't see myself in any other car.

As for the car scene question, I guess I never had a choice, my family has been racing boats, motorcycles, cars and planes for generations. What got me into the tuning scene was definitely watching races on TV and eventually the internet as I got older, that and the influence of my brother. That and it was something new, I worked at muscle and motorcycle shops in my youth and AWD was something that I found extremely interesting.

For what made me want an evolution, I cant say for sure. I still remember the first time I saw one in person, so I guess it was an immediate attraction.

I still get **** at the old shops I worked at for having a 4 cyl car. :lol:

BluEVOIX Apr 15, 2018 06:49 PM

• Love the way the Evo 8 looks. I like how the side fenders bulge out and makes the car look wider. Love the front and rear end (rear with JDM Bumper). Pretty much the whole design of the car.
  • After experiencing the super sensitive steering response that makes it feel like a go-kart, driving other cars just doesnt feel the same. Some come close with the sport steering settings but its not the same.
  • Large interior space and rear leg room (similar year WRX/STI’s were much smaller)
  • AWD ! No more worrying about grip (for the most power levels)
  • As mentioned earlier its a "Poor Mans Supercar” . Can be modified to make a lot of power and handle it to.
  • Other than power, it has really well handling and braking.
Interior is cheap . Correction, interior is super cheap but slowly Ill be upgrading that and doing a few things to make it look and feel a little nicer. But I do like the gauge cluster a lot.

Im sure Im missing a lot of things that didnt come to my mind but above is a good few that came to me in a short time.

moparfan Apr 16, 2018 08:53 PM

I had one of the first Audi Quattro 4000CS with the locking center and rear diffs and I wanted to see what a couple of decades had brought to AWD.

The Audi was slow as hell but it did have a light feeling for as much of an understeering machine that it was.