EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules-61/)
-   -   New Member From Texas (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evom-new-member-faqs-evom-rules/753510-new-member-texas.html)

Inconsiderate Mar 12, 2019 03:06 PM

New Member From Texas

Hi All,

My name is David and I joined this forum to get some more knowledge on Evo 8/9/X. I plan on purchasing one (used Evo) in the near future for daily use and would like to get know more about the Evo community, especially the local community around the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. This would be my first Mitsubishi.

I am also open to suggestions and input for what would be a good reliable daily (Evo 8/9/x). Keep in mind I do plan on modifying the vehicle.

Thanks,
David

MinusPrevious Mar 12, 2019 04:31 PM

Hello David / Welcome aboard the boards

Im a 9 owner & my ride is my weekender only. Would not / could not run this EvO as my daily (thats just me). I need an auto trans for the DD

The X, for sure, has more creature comforts as the 9 is a bit more raw

Hope to see you become an owner but its a $big$ decision to commit to

If you have any questions, let me know

Joe :beer:

Inconsiderate Mar 12, 2019 04:43 PM

My current daily is a C7 Z06 and I do not enjoy driving her in the rain and all my other cars are collectibles. I'm looking for something that will be more comfortable, able to transport goods for my business, and can fit 4 people.

I don't think I can drive an auto ever. I love driving manuals even in traffic.

Is the Evo X pretty reliable even with modifications? I know a good tuner in my area which is Growler Motor Labs which used to be Cobb Tuning of Plano, Texas.

By raw do you mean less creature comforts or do you mean more sports like?

MinusPrevious Mar 12, 2019 04:50 PM

Haha, well that explains your situation a bit more (Z06). Love the Corvette (great sports car)

Yeah, the X is bigger & has more amenities than the EvO 8 or 9. In my case i have the track base car which is the RS (no sound deadening, no ABS, crank windows, alum roof & a few other deletions). Even the other 8/9 models are more raw than the X. The X has certainly made its way to the track but, by far, the CT9A chassis (8/9) is more widely used as track cars

The X motor is the 4B11T & is a very nice motor & a big departure from the EvO 8/9 motor (4G63). It certainly can handle some WHP on the stock block & would be a super fun DD

Inconsiderate Mar 12, 2019 05:18 PM

I love the Z06 but she likes going sideways when its wet out.

I like your setup on the 9. She looks awesome!

I was looking at the X's since the earlier ones are going down in price and the 8/9 have retained their value. So the price point for the Evo's around my area for the X's are almost the same as the 8/9. I did some research and I had in mind of trying to put down 400-500 whp DD out of the Evo's. I know the 4G63 are beastly and can handle the abuse with the 5spd. I am hoping 4B11T would be the same while still being reliable. It seems as though a few bolt ons, flex fuel kit, and upgraded turbo will put the 8/9/X into the 400-500 whp range with ease.

MinusPrevious Mar 12, 2019 05:22 PM

Yes, i like your idea there on the X. Youre spot on w/the used prices as well. The 8/9's are slowly becoming more rare

Do some research on the SST trans. Dont know all the details but there have been reported issues

Inconsiderate Mar 12, 2019 05:36 PM

Joe,

Thank you for the input and it has leaned me more towards the X as the potential DD. It seems like the Evo community is really friendly and open.

VerySlowEvo Mar 13, 2019 07:47 PM

Hey what's up man, I'm relatively new myself. I would highly consider getting a X if you truly want "creature comforts", but I personally got myself a EVO IX myself since it's daily-able in my opinion. Word of mouth isn't enough to consider what car to get. I think test driving both is the best here. Cheers!

Blue_Lion Mar 13, 2019 08:13 PM

I was looking for a IX myself, coming from a little 04 ralliart but it was hard to find one in great conditions. I didn’t want a modified one so it made the search near impossible. Plus the prices were pretty high. So I settled for a X. With 6k miles. For the same price a IX with xxx,xxx miles would be. No brainer. It is my DD, it’s reliable, and I couldn’t be any happier with it. Comfortable to cruise in and fun when you want to get on it. 4b11 has been proven to make high numbers on stock block as previously stated. So if you make 400ish to the wheels you’d have a pretty great DD. If I could I would still own a IX as my weekend car too though in conjunction with my X. (Just to show that there’s no bias haha). Drive both and decide what you want! Good luck!

Inconsiderate Mar 14, 2019 12:42 PM

I appreciate all the feedback.

Yes, the prices for mid to high mileage 8/9 are sitting around the same prices as an X in my area. I am curious if the X will hold its value as well as the 8/9 are doing in the future market.

I have driven an auto X but not the manual version, but have not driven an 8/9 yet.. Since I am in no hurry to make a purchase, I do plan on driving the manual version of the X and get a feel of all 3 types before making a final decision (I am going to assume the 8 will be the same as the 9).

Blue_Lion Mar 14, 2019 02:15 PM

The value for the eight is not quite up there with the IX. You can find decent eights for a pretty good price. The IX will hold its value the most though since those are the most saught after. As you already saw. The X will also because it was the last evo produced.
If you do decide on a X I would suggest looking for 2011+ models as Mitsubishi fixed some of the problems that plagued the older models. Another thing to note, if you end up getting a X MR (auto) and you come to mod it, it will make less numbers compared to a X GSR. I know this is a lengthy post but it’s good that you’re looking for the info and being patient. I think that’s the most important part!