Notices
ExtremeTurboSystems.com – WA Custom Intercoolers, Intercooler Kits, Turbo Kits and Performance Parts. [Visit Site]

ETS Wide-Tank Intercoolers - 3", 3.5", 4" and 5"!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
ETS Wide-Tank Intercoolers - 3", 3.5", 4" and 5"!!

Since these have never had their own thread and when we released them didn't realize how popular they would become, I think it's high time to put some more information together dedicated to this version of our EVO intercooler

Pricing is the same as our standard intercooler lineup and can be found on our site here - http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/M...duct_info.html

These can of course be paired with short route or stock battery piping kits for a complete intercooler system.

A picture for reference between the standard and our wide-tank EVO IC

Anodizing is of course available with wide-tank and standard EVO intercoolers!

Installed on a IX bumper

Installed on an VIII bumper

Tom

Last edited by ETS Michael; Mar 4, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the different between the wide and standard tank? why do you recommend the wider one for the 9's instead of the 8's.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want to see a 9 installed on an 8
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

I believe the last picture is a 9 installed on an 8.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tien
whats the different between the wide and standard tank? why do you recommend the wider one for the 9's instead of the 8's.
the 9 has a smaller opening in the bumper then the 8
Old Mar 4, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would think the standard intercooler is better because the wide take uses a shorter intercooler core. wouldent the standard intercooler cool more and be rated at more HP because of the bigger core?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
i would think the standard intercooler is better because the wide take uses a shorter intercooler core. wouldent the standard intercooler cool more and be rated at more HP because of the bigger core?

The reason ETS uses the wide tank intercooler is because on the IX's there is not as much of an opening in the front bumper.. Ultimately, this means that ETS can take advantage of using a Wider tank design to ensure better cooling, while still maintaining a large enough core. On an evo 8 .. the front bumper has such a bigger opening, which means that you can use a larger core with smaller end tanks for cooling..

So when it comes down to it. They equal out with each other because one (VIII) lacks the wider end tanks and the other one (IX) lacks the length . It make sense.. ETS will soon have their dyno so I'm sure they would be more than happy to test the 2 on both bumpers to see what the max HP each is capable of and what the precise efficiency of each is.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tien
The only difference is that the standard intercooler uses a 2" wider core than the wide-tank, which uses the extra 2" of width available behind the bumper for endtank width. The EVO VIII bumper cover is extremely wide and can get airflow to the full width of our standard intercooler and take advantage of the wider core. The EVO IX bumper is the same width as the wide-tank intercooler's core thus taking full advantage of all of the surface area in the bumper opening and using the remaining space behind the beam for added endtank width and taper for maximum airflow distribution along the height of the core

Both designs fit behind both bumpers so if you have a preference otherwise then fitment will still be perfect

Tom
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

I have a IX if it was up to you which would you get?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

On a IX bumper I'd run the wide-tank intercooler. I have a C-West so I run the standard 3.5". We've got ONE 3.5" wide-tank intercooler core left until all wide-tank intercooler sizes will be on backorder for about 3-4 weeks, so let me know if you'd like your name on that one

Tom