Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I know you didn't say that they were going to use diesel engines. Remember too that it is hard to extrapolate information gleaned from Audi and Peugeot, first with their 5.5 liter V12's and now with their V6's and apply that to the supposed 1.6 liter diesel that Mitsubishi intends on using. On the one hand, there is massive torque and even horsepower for a diesel, while on the other hand, the Mitsubishi diesel will work more like a battery assist, much like the Volt. The one thing that would guarantee success for the next Evo would be to reduce the size and mass of the car. Reduce avoirdupois where the current car is heavy. Imagine an Evo that weighed about 3,000 pounds with the hybrid. That would make a solid platform. However, if the next Evo grows in size and weight, then the diesel hybrid combination would probably make for much more leisurely acceleration.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im very anxious to see the outcome of this, but as of now, im not quite sure how i feel about a diesel hybrid sports car. I could see the hybrid part but diesel???
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tnhunter2
im very anxious to see the outcome of this, but as of now, im not quite sure how i feel about a diesel hybrid sports car. I could see the hybrid part but diesel???
Funny...I can see the diesel part but not the hybrid. You can get some serious torque out of a diesel and even some decent HP numbers and europe has some properly fun diesel cars available...while the CRZ is the poster child for "sporty" hybrids.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
^ Reduce avoirdupois where the current car is heavy. Imagine an Evo that weighed about 3,000 pounds with the hybrid. That would make a solid platform. However, if the next Evo grows in size and weight, then the diesel hybrid combination would probably make for much more leisurely acceleration.
Wow - learned a new word today!
Old May 1, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

avoirdupois
From the French "avoir du poid", meaning to have some weight.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WoRkZ
From the French "avoir du poid", meaning to have some weight.
I need to find a good venue to use it. I don't think it will be at the next Evo meet I go to, I am afraid I will get weird looks and then get beat up for using complicated words!
Old May 1, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Midsu is going down the drain one year at a time! haha
Old May 1, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

hybrids, the begining of the end
Old May 1, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
Midsu is going down the drain one year at a time! haha
Except this last year they posted a 50% sales increase compared to 2010 <_<
Old May 1, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

if its turns out to be a regenerative system like in the hybrid porsche GT3 driving the front wheels with electric motors and the diesel running the rears it will be awesome.

one of the negatives at this point with regenerative systems for a production vehicles would probably be the noise of the 35000 rpm flywheel.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by artinist
if its turns out to be a regenerative system like in the hybrid porsche GT3 driving the front wheels with electric motors and the diesel running the rears it will be awesome.

one of the negatives at this point with regenerative systems for a production vehicles would probably be the noise of the 35000 rpm flywheel.
well if its any indication that the next evo will not be the only car moving in the hybrid direction. this is nothing like the setup in the prius. plenty of opportunity for performance upgrades in the aftermarket. see the similarities with the latest rumor regarding the supra. a lot like I stated a few days ago:

"It is believed it will adapt an all-wheel-drive system and will generate about 400 HP. This will be possible thanks to a 3.5 liter V6 engine driving the rear wheels combined with in-wheel electric motors for the front ones.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar129021.html
Old May 4, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rick1024
Ye of little faith.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rick1024
Not necessarily. Look at the Porsche 918. It's a 580HP supercar that can do 70+MPG. A pretty successful hybrid if you ask me.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Not necessarily. Look at the Porsche 918. It's a 580HP supercar that can do 70+MPG. A pretty successful hybrid if you ask me.
I wonder with this new tech, how much more they will go up in price. And if they don't lets hope they don't cut corners like they did with the boring interior of the 9g's. (which I don't think is too bad at all)
Old May 8, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
The 918 is supposed to cost around $750,000, so I am not sure that is applicable to the next Evo. It will take years to reduce the cost, reduce the weight of the batteries and increase the performance of more sundry vehicles that most people can afford. In time, it will trickle down, but I would say that is at least 10 years down the road. Also, running purely electric means that range needs to be substantially extended, even the 918. When manufacturers can get at least 200 miles out of a charge, it will make more sense than it does now.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.