Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's anything like the Concept RA that Mitsu developed a few years back then it could be an interesting car..
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Panda_stunter
Why do people say that Mitsubishi isn't listening to consumers? Consumers want high fuel economy, that's why there's a mpg war between manufacturers.

It was stated already, evo is a niche market. And niche market does not populate the overall consumer market, but just a fraction of it. So why would Mitsubishi listen to, for arguments sake, 25% of their consumers when 75% wants fuel economy? If they can put fuel economy up on the evo, they can garner more people into buying the 40k evo, than the 20k lancer.

As for the diesel hybrid, I can't say for sure since it is not even in the projects phase yet. It's still in the brainstorming phase. My guess, electric would drive low-end for torque, and it switches to diesel on higher rpm. Not like the Prius, which is, I believe, gas on lower end and electric on higher rpm range. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this....never owned a Prius.

One thing for sure, when Mitsubishi announced they're shelving the 4g63, I was appalled since it's what makes the evo an evo. The 4b11 changing out the tried and true 4g63 was unreal. But look at me now, I have an X. And though the specific characteristics aren't the same, the 4b11 makes the power an evo guy can rely on.

And like the namesake says, it's an evolution. The generations always keeps on getting better and better with each generation. Though the definition of "better" is debatable since everyones opinion differ from one to the next.

As for me, I'll wait it out, if the XI isn't what I want, then I would just keep the X I have now. Nobody said u have to buy every generation of the evo.....unless ur a car collector.
well that 75% probably never heard of the evo and was never going to buy it in the first place so should give us 25% the evo that we want not some hybrid bull**** i could care less what they do with the rest of their car line but let the evo be give the 75% a hybrid not the evo
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
who said it will be diesel? nobody, is a stoopid asumpition
it will be 1.6 turbo with latest mivec(like vtec/valvetronic+vgt turbo - easy 280-300HP) and a little electric motor for start stop and a a little help during accel ,it will folow the line adopted by subaru which is developing a 300hp -1.6 turbo with cosworth. and also some 200kg lighter- like in evo 4-5-6 days. wait and see

Last edited by claudiumxg; Oct 22, 2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:24 AM
Cat

Osamu Masuko, Mitsubishi's president, says Evo XI will be a diesel-electric hybrid. I'd call him a pretty reliable source.

"Hybrid" doesn't have to equal "Lame." Look at the Mugen Honda CR-Z. God knows why Honda is still dithering about releasing it for general production. It'd put the Si on the beach for good and I'd buy one if they released them in the U.S., it's fast and it gets decent gas mileage even with Corvette-level performance. And for all you folks worried about aftermarket vendors, HKS is developing a supercharger kit for the CR-Z, which is most definitely a hybrid.

And "Diesel" also does not have to equal "Lame." I have with my own eyes witnessed a slightly modified Dodge Ram 250 with the Cummins motor smoke a built C5 Corvette Z06 like a cheap, stinky cigar at a dragstrip. One of the previous posters in this thread points out that Audi is making Diesel racecars that are holding their own.

When the IX gave way to the X, people predicted the end of the Evo. I missed the IX due to finances at the time and for years stayed away from the X, thinking it wasn't a "real" Evo. Then I drove an MR. And drove it home the same day.

I'm watching Honda for the Mugen CR-Z and now, definitely watching Mitsubishi as they develop the XI. For me, Mitsubishi is a known quantity. They make good cars. In 2014 we are planning to buy a new car, and to hear that Evo XI will be an option is good news for us.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cat
Osamu Masuko, Mitsubishi's president, says Evo XI will be a diesel-electric hybrid. I'd call him a pretty reliable source.

"Hybrid" doesn't have to equal "Lame." Look at the Mugen Honda CR-Z. God knows why Honda is still dithering about releasing it for general production. It'd put the Si on the beach for good and I'd buy one if they released them in the U.S., it's fast and it gets decent gas mileage even with Corvette-level performance. And for all you folks worried about aftermarket vendors, HKS is developing a supercharger kit for the CR-Z, which is most definitely a hybrid.

And "Diesel" also does not have to equal "Lame." I have with my own eyes witnessed a slightly modified Dodge Ram 250 with the Cummins motor smoke a built C5 Corvette Z06 like a cheap, stinky cigar at a dragstrip. One of the previous posters in this thread points out that Audi is making Diesel racecars that are holding their own.

When the IX gave way to the X, people predicted the end of the Evo. I missed the IX due to finances at the time and for years stayed away from the X, thinking it wasn't a "real" Evo. Then I drove an MR. And drove it home the same day.

I'm watching Honda for the Mugen CR-Z and now, definitely watching Mitsubishi as they develop the XI. For me, Mitsubishi is a known quantity. They make good cars. In 2014 we are planning to buy a new car, and to hear that Evo XI will be an option is good news for us.
he did not say it will be a diesel, he only said it will be hibrid- only autocar belives it will be a diesel:
Mitsubishi president Osamu Masuko has confirmed to British motoring magazine Autocar that the next Mitsubishi Evo XI is due in three years and will feature a hybrid drivetrain.
"We will start work on the project next year, and it will be ready within three," Masuko told Autocar. "I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power."
Autocar says that the Mitsubishi Evo will be a diesel-hybrid, although, Masuko did not confirm that detail."
evo is a niche car - it will return to it's origins weather it will be caled lancer, evo or whatever, it is a image for the brand, not volume- with x they tried volume
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:57 AM
Cat

Originally Posted by claudiumxg
he did not say it will be a diesel, he only said it will be hibrid- only autocar belives it will be a diesel:
Woops. Missed that part.

Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing either. I point to the Mugen CR-Z, as a "what could be." Perhaps a 1.8 liter forged-piston, sodium-filled-valve, DOHC, turbocharged 4J10 derivative as the partner to the electric motors? Or even the current 2.0 liter 4B11T? That would be even better, for a lot of people.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Panda_stunter
My guess, electric would drive low-end for torque, and it switches to diesel on higher rpm. Not like the Prius, which is, I believe, gas on lower end and electric on higher rpm range. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this....never owned a Prius.
The electric motor runs low-end power on a Prius as well. Electric motors have 100% torque available starting right after 0 rpm. That's why a stock Prius has as much torque as a stock EVO. The problem is, that torque is only available for a short time before you burn out the electric motor.

Also, an electric motor's rpm is a function of the voltage, and since Toyota nerfed the Prius's battery pack, its top speed in electric mode is only maybe 35-40 mph. The motor itself will support speeds up to 55-60 mph, if the battery pack were capable of feeding it the proper voltages.

And, again, let us not forget that knows how to make a performance vehicle when they want to. They aren't going to release an EVO-Prius hybrid. Prius is the doing of Toyota, a car company that released a sporty, youth-oriented coupe and made it fwd. They are also the company that thought that chopping two doors off of a Camry would make a sports coupe.

I still think the EVO, for performance reasons, should be an all-electric, but there are too many reasons against it at this point. It would be cost prohibitive (probably $80-90k); still stigmatized by the EVO's normal audience; and would be almost completely dead in the American market, since a 100% EV is not viable for most Americans. But, then again, even the 4g63 EVO isn't viable for most Americans.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

So basically Mitsubishi is joining the club of useless hybrid cars, it'll get good gas mileage, be overpriced, and it'll look like a prius. (Eg. Honda insight, Chevy volt) they both resemble the prius. Lol.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:20 AM

what the F***.. who the hell wants a diesel evo...mitsubishi has failed
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

*Goes and reserves 2012 Evo*

I don't doubt Mitsu can make a great performance Evo hybrid, question is at what cost? What if the new motor is only an automatic (new SST model )? What if it looks horrible? How easily will it be tuned? All important questions to consider.

Me personally, if I wanted an all in one car, I wouldn't be looking into Mitsubishi. I'd probably be looking more into a BMW or maybe Audi. That being said, I think I'll just stick with getting a '12 because I KNOW what those are like. IF (and only if) something amazing happens with the XI, then I'll consider it. But for now, I'd rather get a X, and if I need better MPG, get some used car that can be used. Just my .02
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why the **** does it matter what fuel the car uses? Bio diesel is pretty damn close to E85, I think there is to much emphasis on what is powering the car and not where the performance will be. If they made a damn Evo that ran on garbage and could time travel why is that a bad thing? lol
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Well unlike most of the nay-sayers here, I have confidence in Mitsubishi engineering. IMO, we haven't been failed by in the Evo world at all yet. They are constantly delivering, and I have no reason to doubt them.

One thing I'm excited is, if true, they are starting NOW vs three years ago with three years ago technology. Hybrid technology has improved quite a bit over the years. Learn from other manufacturer mistakes, engineer new ones, and put out a little modern evo beast. I love performance and technology, and to me this is a step in the right direction.

Staying locked up in the past is just going to sell a few more cars to older enthusiasts without bringing in more consumers. Try and be positive and have an open mind. This new car just might blow you away. If it doesn't, THEN start *****ing.

Last edited by migs647; Oct 22, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:58 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckless969
Why the **** does it matter what fuel the car uses? Bio diesel is pretty damn close to E85, I think there is to much emphasis on what is powering the car and not where the performance will be. If they made a damn Evo that ran on garbage and could time travel why is that a bad thing? lol
I agree completely. As long as it has performance, I'm all ears.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

I bet the price will be $40k starting and will weight at least 4,000 lbs.

If its fast that'll be great but its hard to get such a pig to go fast around corners. The GT-R is a great example of a 3,800 lb car that handles amazingly though so maybe they can use some of that technology.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
well unlike most of the nay-sayers here, i have confidence in mitsubishi engineering. Imo, we haven't been failed by In the evo world at all yet. They are constantly delivering, and i have no reason to doubt them.
+1,000

Last edited by migs647; Oct 22, 2011 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.