Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Mitsu May Rely on Renault-Nissan for New Lancer Design

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsu May Rely on Renault-Nissan for New Lancer Design

They're hooking up with Renault to sell a Korean made mid sized sedan and if it goes well the alliance may turn into a source for the new Lancer.

"If the Renault tie-up proceeds smoothly, it is possible Mitsubishi may not independently develop a next generation for its C-segment Lancer, spokesman Shigeru Jibiki said. But those plans are still under consideration, he said. "We want to focus on our strengths and focus our investments there," Jibiki said. "Our focus is more on SUVs and not sedans.""

Guess none of this is much of a surprise, but it would be interesting to see what sort of high performance versions (if any) could come out of a car they don't design or build themselves.

Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've said it earlier, thats totally possibility, kinda shame that Mitsubishi will have its primary model made by someone else.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps it's not a bad idea to partner with Renault. The Mégane Renaultsport 265 - shape of things to come?

Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how about a nissan versa? not even a sentra?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:47 AM

I like that netjoy!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I hope to god it doesn't happen.

Look at the new Jeep, THANKS EUROPEANS!
8-spd FWD... Jeep...
NO!

The EVO will be RUINED if this happens. That's just my opinion.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:50 PM

They should use a shortened DBA-R35 platform with a KERS hybrid system, and a turbo 4. This would officially make the Evo the GT-Rs step brother.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xking
They should use a shortened DBA-R35 platform with a KERS hybrid system, and a turbo 4. This would officially make the Evo the GT-Rs step brother.
That could be done easily, if Mitsubishi is ready to do that. But they announced platform cutoffs to 7, I'd be seriously glad if they continue to use GS platform for the Lancer and use that RN garbage to make C class hatch on it.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PZ.eu
That could be done easily, if Mitsubishi is ready to do that. But they announced platform cutoffs to 7, I'd be seriously glad if they continue to use GS platform for the Lancer and use that RN garbage to make C class hatch on it.
That would be a cool, cost effective way to do it also. I really don't care for a hatch. But if Mitsu is focusing on SUVs, I could see them killing the 'Lancer', and continuing the 'Evo'. A legit $40K AWD sportscar that didn't start out as a $14K compact (not that I'm complaining).
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xking
That would be a cool, cost effective way to do it also. I really don't care for a hatch. But if Mitsu is focusing on SUVs, I could see them killing the 'Lancer', and continuing the 'Evo'. A legit $40K AWD sportscar that didn't start out as a $14K compact (not that I'm complaining).
as long as there is any evo in pure ICE form and desirably in hybrid also. I am supporting even if its on Ssangyong.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

I really hope this does not happen. Renault cars are not very reliable, they are considered s**t in Europe, cheap like Kia if not worse. I expect a Japanese brand to build Japanese cars not Korean. I dont know what is wrong with Mitsu even with their new redesigns like the outlander... the old one looks much much better. Im really hoping they dont bring that Renault SM3 Laguna to be the new Lancer.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nankov
I really hope this does not happen. Renault cars are not very reliable, they are considered s**t in Europe, cheap like Kia if not worse. I expect a Japanese brand to build Japanese cars not Korean. I dont know what is wrong with Mitsu even with their new redesigns like the outlander... the old one looks much much better. Im really hoping they dont bring that Renault SM3 Laguna to be the new Lancer.
Nobody wants it, I am hoping they use some other name on it, especially the crappy quality it comes with Renault, I really also wish that Mitsubishi will change powertrain* on SM5's for US market in order to have as much as homogenized engine train(4J11, 4J12 and 6B31 would be fine.), but then again I somehow want Vq35 in it. *(Dakota comes in mind with Chrysler drivetrain , as a failure sign)ps. if they seriously want another Busan SK model, they should ask for Eclipse rebadge of Laguna Coupe.
But if we look good stuff, all models(Lancer, EU Almera, Megane, Fluence) are soon to be changed, they are equally aged, and Mitsubishi didn't say anything about Lancer or it being Renault, so it could possibly be joint venture for a platform, the same way GEMA engine was a joint venture with everybody having something unique to it.