EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Future Lancer / Evo Models (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/future-lancer-evo-models-113/)
-   -   Will outlander sport get RA trim? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/future-lancer-evo-models/523679-will-outlander-sport-get-ra-trim.html)

madfast Nov 7, 2010 09:50 AM

Will outlander sport get RA trim?

Hey has anybody here, who works at a dealership or whatever, heard of a Ralliart trim coming out for the new Outlander Sport?

i want something that has more cargo and ground clearance and if a RA Outtie Sport comes out im all over it. heck i think i may even buy one if it gets the 2.4L engine. But the waiting for rumors/news/spy photos is killing me...

anyone with any kind of actual news???

EvoOtto Nov 29, 2010 04:13 PM

I have no official info about a ralliart version of an Outlander Sport but chances are it will never happen. The sport was designed for fuel efficiency. Don't get me wrong I would love to see something like that happen.

Airtrek Sport {thumbup}

madfast Nov 30, 2010 10:40 AM

Yeah i have my doubts as well, however there is a lot of speculation from the press that it will happen, so they must have SOME indication that it will happen, no?

but there are also no spy photos. before the RA was shown to the press, we saw spy photos of lancers with intercoolers. before the Outlander sport was shown we saw spy photos of a new mitsu-grilled compact crossover... so does the lack of spy photos mean its not happening? or just that it hasnt been caught in the wild yet?

im eagerly waiting. i want a RA trimmed Outlander sport soon. or i will have to perhaps get a Sportage SX with DI Turbo and active suspension. dont lose a customer mitsu.... dont forget what made you guys popular in the past...

RiG Nov 30, 2010 11:02 AM

Id love to see the outlander sport in RA trim with the turbo RA motor, a 5 speed and AWD. When I went to MOD this year, they asked what we thought of the new outlander sport, I told them to turbo it and Id buy one. He said "maybe....."

madfast Nov 30, 2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RiG (Post 8876295)
Id love to see the outlander sport in RA trim with the turbo RA motor, a 5 speed and AWD. When I went to MOD this year, they asked what we thought of the new outlander sport, I told them to turbo it and Id buy one. He said "maybe....."

cool. i've been looking into the car ever since it was announced. if i had the opportunity to talk to a mitsu rep like that i'd definitely speak my mind. they seriously need a turbo AWD version of this thing. like i said before, kia is coming out with a 270+ hp sportage sx. if mitsu wants to compete they're gonna have to step up. im not even asking for anything new. just use the stuff you already have. using the RA engine and the Outlander GT AWD system makes perfect sense. offer a choice of 5sp manual or SST and it'd be perfect.

CEY05EVO Nov 30, 2010 06:58 PM

That would be sweet to have next to the Evo in the Garage

RiG Dec 1, 2010 07:03 AM

I agree. They have all the parts, just put them on this SUV! Id also like to see them put the RA motor in the Eclipse as a FWD to compete with the SRT4 and Focus ST (2011) but they wont do that either :(

NFSLancerRA Dec 1, 2010 09:39 AM

I still don't quite understand why the Outlander Sport comes with the most un-sporty transmission that Mitsubishi makes. That CVT thing sucks.

Also, when did the 6B31 (3.0L V6) come out? It seems that Mitsubishi has fitted the regular Outlander with this motor instead of the 3.8L (6g75?) that comes in the Eclipse...which is odd, because the older motor makes more power. I thought that that was the name of the game in an AWD SUV.

madfast Dec 1, 2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA (Post 8878916)
I still don't quite understand why the Outlander Sport comes with the most un-sporty transmission that Mitsubishi makes. That CVT thing sucks.

fuel economy? anyways, yeah i get that mpg's matter, a lot to a lot of people. but unless it gets AMAZING mpg, its NOT such a great selling point if the rest of the car isnt up to task.

fostytou Dec 1, 2010 10:30 AM

Also, when did the 6B31 (3.0L V6) come out? It seems that Mitsubishi has fitted the regular Outlander with this motor instead of the 3.8L (6g75?) that comes in the Eclipse...which is odd, because the older motor makes more power. I thought that that was the name of the game in an AWD SUV.

Torque with a low RPM powerband is the name of the game in SUVs. I realize this motor still has less torque, but I'm guessing since it is smaller than the larger Montero they assume it needs less power and more fuel efficiency.

The Outlander isn't really designed to be a big boy hauler, its designed to be a car with alot of space. Its more of a crossover than an actual SUV.

....and then theres CAFE

NFSLancerRA Dec 1, 2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8879015)
fuel economy? anyways, yeah i get that mpg's matter, a lot to a lot of people. but unless it gets AMAZING mpg, its NOT such a great selling point if the rest of the car isnt up to task.

At home, my family keeps a 2007ish Honda Pilot to pull our boat with. Even that has a 3.8L V6, and it gets phenomenal gas-mileage for an SUV. However, it is still on the small side for the job that it is asked to perform. I would love to stick with Mitsubishi in the future, even though the service sucks, but I can't justify opting for an even smaller engine. They are getting out-gunned by Honda, the king of fuel economy. Something is wrong with this picture. They spent more money to develop an engine that is in exactly one car, and the motor doesn't fit with the overall design. That motor would be great in the Eclipse, which is a pig. However, I can't see it in the Outlander.

NFSLancerRA Dec 1, 2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 8879056)
Torque with a low RPM powerband is the name of the game in SUVs. I realize this motor still has less torque, but I'm guessing since it is smaller than the larger Montero they assume it needs less power and more fuel efficiency.

That is a "safe" move. It is a dumb one, at that. Wouldn't it have made more sense to essentially lift the turbocharged motor from the Ralliart if that was the concern? I make more power than that, and my fuel economy is through the roof.

madfast Dec 1, 2010 10:42 AM

no way just let the eclipse and galant die already. if they wont give those 2 cars a REAL redesign then forget it. if im not mistaken, the only real reason those cars are still around is because they are built in the US and they have a contract with the union/factory or something like that...

mitsu's focus is on small cars. but if their vision of a small car is the US version of the i-MiEV then im out. im cashing in my chips and looking elsewhere. hyundai/kia seems to be where its at nowadays. if it wasnt for a few things they dont have right now, i'd have jumped ship already.

madfast Dec 1, 2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by fostytou (Post 8879056)
....and then theres CAFE

i dont know the specifics of the CAFE laws, but couldnt mitsu balance the existence of a sports car, like the evo, in their lineup with an economy car like the i-miev, or colt?

and that's the key. mitsu doesnt WANT to "balance" their lineup. instead they want to sell the entire lineup as econocars? and go up against REAL econocars like hyundai/kia, honda, toyota, vw, etc? PUH-LEEZ!!!

i say sell mostly econocars, but make a few trims/cars (evo or RA trims) that can knock your socks off and make people want a mitsu branded car. would most of us know the Colt existed if it werent for the youtube videos, etc/ of the awesome colt ralliart version r? im not saying sell ONLY a RA version, but at least make one so people can desire it and buy the regular one...

the Outlander sport just came out not too long ago and there is absolutely NO fanfare whatsoever from the automotive press. make a RA version or ::gasp:: evo version of one and i guarantee you the queue for a long term tester at the magazines/websites will be miles long...

NFSLancerRA Dec 1, 2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8879116)
the Outlander sport just came out not too long ago and there is absolutely NO fanfare whatsoever from the automotive press. make a RA version or ::gasp:: evo version of one and i guarantee you the queue for a long term tester at the magazines/websites will be miles long...

I would trade in my Ralliart for a performance version of the Outlander Sport. I think that that is a cool idea, and I think that it could compete with higher-priced SUVs that claim greater off-road utility. This is what Mitsubishi has done well over the past 15 years. They made a rally-car that could compete with anyone. Why does it not stand to reason that they could use that same heritage and technology to create a smaller SUV with a kick-ass sport package?

I think that this is why Mitsubishi is struggling. They are trying to create a car that is both sporty and fuel efficient. They suck at that.

madfast Dec 2, 2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA (Post 8879774)
I would trade in my Ralliart for a performance version of the Outlander Sport. I think that that is a cool idea, and I think that it could compete with higher-priced SUVs that claim greater off-road utility. This is what Mitsubishi has done well over the past 15 years. They made a rally-car that could compete with anyone. Why does it not stand to reason that they could use that same heritage and technology to create a smaller SUV with a kick-ass sport package?

I think that this is why Mitsubishi is struggling. They are trying to create a car that is both sporty and fuel efficient. They suck at that.

and therein lies the problem. as of right now, those 2 are basically mutually exclusive imo. so i say just split it down the middle. the regular trims for economy, and sell it with that angle like they are already doing. RA trim for sport, and sell it like the lancer evo/RA. all the press coverage will be for the sporty version, just like the Evo, and that will help sell the economy verison, again just like the evo. without the evo, mitsu would never, EVER get mentioned in the automotive press... even the regular outlander is a GREAT package, yet NOBODY gives a crap... it's a good car, but it doesnt evoke an emotional response like sportscars do...

all i want is a cayenne turbo with 1/2 the performance for 1/4 of the price. a RA version of the outlander sport could be very close to this. subaru also doesnt give us the sporty versions of the forrester that they have in japan. only kia will give us a sportage sx. my problem with that car is that i dont like the styling and it will most likely go over $30k and i dont want to spend that much.

Edwin J Jan 14, 2011 04:46 PM

i really think they would do 1 but it wont sell imo

madfast Jan 15, 2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Edwin J (Post 8990240)
i really think they would do 1 but it wont sell imo

i disagree. the only thing people complain about is the lack of power and the engine noise because of the cvt.

add the 4b11t and 5mt/SST and you have a great, great package. if they can sell it with a msrp of $26-28k, it would be a winner for sure.

now that's not to say it will be an instant sales success. that would be up to mitsu to actually market it. first they need to MAKE a great product, then actually MARKET it...

in the US at least, they have failed miserably on both accounts and look where they are because of it....

elmerfud54 Jan 16, 2011 01:24 AM

yea their marketing sucks, the only reason i knew they were even coming out with a ralliart again was because my brothers worked for a mitsu dealership in 08. other than that i had never seen any advertisement for it....now that i think about it i rarely see the evo either on tv

Texas325 Jan 16, 2011 07:03 PM

I doubt that they will be a RA outlander sport. Probably something similar but with the 4B12 engine.

reboundicon Jan 16, 2011 07:47 PM

With the way Mitsubishi is going, this will never happen. They are gearing their cars towards a family market and trying to copy the rest of the manufacturers by going greener. Also these would never sell, because of Mitsubishi's poor marketing team.

madfast Jan 17, 2011 12:25 PM

well, they made an Outlander GT with "S-AWC" so i wouldnt count it out just yet... we all know the 4B11 bolts right up. and every review has complained with the lack of power and/or the oxymoronic name. i'd say mitsu is well on their way with SOMETHING. not necessarily a full blown turbo RA version but something...

reboundicon Jan 17, 2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8996286)
well, they made an Outlander GT with "S-AWC" so i wouldnt count it out just yet... we all know the 4B11 bolts right up. and every review has complained with the lack of power and/or the oxymoronic name. i'd say mitsu is well on their way with SOMETHING. not necessarily a full blown turbo RA version but something...

I would love if they did something like this as well, but it just seems like the economy and market are going in the other direction if you look at the rest of the big auto manufacturers. I guess if mitsu decided to release something like this though, they would get the attention of the market who are dying for a car like this to be released.

Gregus Jan 18, 2011 04:55 AM

My wife has an Outlander Sport (Called RVR here in Canada). The sales manager at the dealer told me that a Ralliart version is coming.. no other details than that though!

madfast Jan 18, 2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by reboundicon (Post 8996888)
I would love if they did something like this as well, but it just seems like the economy and market are going in the other direction if you look at the rest of the big auto manufacturers. I guess if mitsu decided to release something like this though, they would get the attention of the market who are dying for a car like this to be released.

while i would love a full blown RA sport version, i doubt that it will happen the way i want it to happen. however, they NEED to have a sportier version, whatever it may be. 148 hp is PATHETIC and will put off MANY potential buyers, myself included. really, the only thing it has going for itself is the aggressive styling and the relatively low price, and that only gets you so far...

other manufacturers have more powerful offerings and are usually larger vehicles. so for them, downsizing is a good move. for mitsu, they should keep their cars small and add some more power. you DONT have to give up much, if any, in terms of fuel economy if you put in the money/engineering to do it right. for example, mitsu was one of the first to use direct injection, yet they dont have ANY models in the US that has that technology. hyundai? most of their engines are DI. what.... a.... shame....

SudzRA Jan 18, 2011 10:54 AM

I work for a Mitsu dealer in Canada. When we went for training on the RVR (Outlander Sport) we all asked about the lack of power and if a Ralliart version is in the works, to compete directly with the Nissan Juke. He said he would not confirm or deny. That's as far as it went for us. I haven't heard any other news on the subject, but an RA version would definately silence the critics.

reboundicon Jan 18, 2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8998803)
while i would love a full blown RA sport version, i doubt that it will happen the way i want it to happen. however, they NEED to have a sportier version, whatever it may be. 148 hp is PATHETIC and will put off MANY potential buyers, myself included. really, the only thing it has going for itself is the aggressive styling and the relatively low price, and that only gets you so far...

other manufacturers have more powerful offerings and are usually larger vehicles. so for them, downsizing is a good move. for mitsu, they should keep their cars small and add some more power. you DONT have to give up much, if any, in terms of fuel economy if you put in the money/engineering to do it right. for example, mitsu was one of the first to use direct injection, yet they dont have ANY models in the US that has that technology. hyundai? most of their engines are DI. what.... a.... shame....

Agreed, Mitsubishi needs to do this if they want to stay competitive. A lot of Hyundai's are turning heads these days. They put guys like Honda, Toyota and even Mitsubishi to shame with their current and future offerings.

GPTourer Jan 22, 2011 09:42 AM

The name of the game with a tiny crossover like the Outlander Sport is to give people the upright seating of an SUV and the fuel economy of a small car. Sticking a boat anchor of an iron block of the 6G75 into it would totally defeat that purpose.

At home, my family keeps a 2007ish Honda Pilot to pull our boat with. Even that has a 3.8L V6, and it gets phenomenal gas-mileage for an SUV.
According to fueleconomy.gov the '07 4WD Pilot gets 15mpg city 20mpg hwy compared to the 4WD OSport's 24 and 29. I don't think that is phenomanal gas mileage. I think it is a huge difference between two vehicles that aren't in the same class. I wouldn't buy an OSport to pull a boat, nor would I expect a Pilot to get the same mileage as a small SUV either. Plus there's the difference in price.

However, it is still on the small side for the job that it is asked to perform.
When I sold Hondas I always thought people gave them too much juice. The gas mileage you call phenomenal is actually pretty sad when I could get a fullsized Tahoe or Chevy pickup with a v8 and get about the same mileage and pull whatever boat you have better. Plus it is a fullsized Tahoe or Chevy. The Pilot and Ridgeline were never impressive to me at all. 2007 Tahoe 4wd is 14/19 on the same site, BTW.

GNR Jan 22, 2011 11:41 AM

I think alot of ppls here is missing the Point...RVR was developed for people who wanted something bigger than the lancer or sportback, but wanted AWD and a small suv.. If they wanted more power and something bigger they would purchase a Outlander 2.4 or go up to 3.0 one instead. Check the price on mitsubishi website.. RVR VS Outlander is $4000-$5000 difference depends on the model. In canada you can purchase an lancer sportback ralliart for $33000 CDN, while the fully RVR GT price is 28900. Also the outlander XLS/GT is $33,900.. So how much Would they sell a RVR Ralliart one for, while you can purchase an sportback RALLIART WITH sst and S-AWC...

GNR Jan 22, 2011 11:43 AM

RVR main purpose was for Fuel Economy!!!!!!!

madfast Jan 22, 2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by GNR (Post 9010726)
I think alot of ppls here is missing the Point...RVR was developed for people who wanted something bigger than the lancer or sportback, but wanted AWD and a small suv.. If they wanted more power and something bigger they would purchase a Outlander 2.4 or go up to 3.0 one instead. Check the price on mitsubishi website.. RVR VS Outlander is $4000-$5000 difference depends on the model. In canada you can purchase an lancer sportback ralliart for $33000 CDN, while the fully RVR GT price is 28900. Also the outlander XLS/GT is $33,900.. So how much Would they sell a RVR Ralliart one for, while you can purchase an sportback RALLIART WITH sst and S-AWC...

all else being similar, more power never sold less cars...

why cant you have the size of the outlander sport with the "power" of the regular outlander?

if the outlander sport is the crossover equivalent to the lancer, then where is my crossover version of the RA/evo? you cant say get an outlander, because its in a different size class... you cant say get a RA sportback because its not a suv with a suv driving position...

imo its a missed opportunity... what other crossover/suv would be comparable to an Outlander sport with RA engine/drivetrain?

cmon mitsu, make it happen...

Shahul X Feb 1, 2011 09:21 AM

I'll actually be looking at one of these this week... Honestly I like mitsu over Kia or Hyundai... And I think it looks good over the others and I have a sports car already... $25k for a car with keyless, hid, switchable 4wd, fuse, navi, backup camera, Bluetooth, panoramic roof, USB, paddle shifters, 29-31 hwy mpg, a decent chassis, nice color guages, room for my kid and dog, etc etc... Is a good deal... The lease deal is great as well which is what I'm doing.... Can I get a rouge or crv or rav4? Sure ... But what's the fun of being cookie cutter?

If I wanted a Ralliart I'd buy the sportback

blue4uevo8 Feb 4, 2011 06:51 AM

My wife and I drove the sport, she loved the size and looks but couldn't get over the lack of power. She's coming from a VW R32 (2008) and finds it hard to have less power. She also looked at the RA sportback but isn't really crazy about the look of the car.

madfast Feb 4, 2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by blue4uevo8 (Post 9047566)
My wife and I drove the sport, she loved the size and looks but couldn't get over the lack of power. She's coming from a VW R32 (2008) and finds it hard to have less power. She also looked at the RA sportback but isn't really crazy about the look of the car.

this really seems to be the common theme among ALL reviews ive read. both formal (magazines, websites, etc.) and informal (forum posts, internet blogs, etc)...

you really cant compare a RA sportback to the Outtie sport simply because people like SUVs for their ground clearance and the driving position/view it gives you. also the sportback is kinda ugly in the back. from the funky rear lights to the hunchback, it doesnt appeal to most people.

the outtie sport on the other hand is very good looking from all angles. aggressive, muscular, but not over the top. very attractive and basically one of its top selling points. but its all a sham as it is one of the weakest cars in the segment.

the car needs at LEAST the 2.4L engine from the GTS/outlander just to be on even ground. and of course the RA's turbo engine would do wonders for its image...

the car is selling well, but i cant help but think how a little more power would help it out even more...

Boston_eagle Feb 4, 2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 9047928)
the outtie sport on the other hand is very good looking from all angles. aggressive, muscular, but not over the top. very attractive and basically one of its top selling points. but its all a sham as it is one of the weakest cars in the segment.

the car is selling well, but i cant help but think how a little more power would help it out even more...

Well said, but more power takes away one of its points: MPG. My wife has a 37 mile each way commute and wanted a capable and top 4wd system, loads of tech, and mpg. Our Outlander Sport SE AWD has 29 MPG, navi, heated seats, rockford fosgate, panoramic moonroof. If we want performance we can take out my evo:lol: but it is literally everything else she needs and all the tech she wants. A quality car, seats are legit, and we got ours fully loaded for less than a base cr-v with only heated seats. We like ours, and if you guys have any questions feel free to pm me!{thumbup}:mitsu:

Besides as others have said, in Mitsu's mind this car is (to quote their own marketing) "different for a reason". If someone walks into a showroom looking for turbo and a hatch, they will be lead to the ralliart sportback.

If they want all out performance that matches or beats some supercars, then an evo it is.
If you want a 4wd with performance, Outlander GT or XLS.

If a bigger crossover with better mpg, Outlander 2.4.

If a crossover with 4wd looking for outstanding MPG and a ton of tech, Outlander sport is the choice. The engineers that made the made the EVO what it is did their work on this car:

-lower drag coefficient than a civic and corvette
-400 lbs lighter than a base 2.4 outlander
-HIDs also project on the sides and light up 80 degrees, more than a Lexus LS (and they work well in snow and at night!)
-regenerative brakes for an extra mpg or two.

Small touches like that lead us to this car!

madfast Feb 4, 2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boston_eagle (Post 9048068)
Well said, but more power takes away one of its points: MPG.

Besides as others have said, in Mitsu's mind this car is (to quote their own marketing) "different for a reason". If someone walks into a showroom looking for turbo and a hatch, they will be lead to the ralliart sportback.

If they want all out performance that matches or beats some supercars, then an evo it is.
If you want a 4wd with performance, Outlander GT or XLS.

If a bigger crossover with better mpg, Outlander 2.4.

If a crossover with 4wd looking for outstanding MPG and a ton of tech, Outlander sport is the choice.

power and mpg doesnt need to be mutually exclusive. you can detune a powerful engine but you cant make a weak engine stronger. for example you can have an "eco mode" that bypasses the turbo completely around town and when you want to have fun in the twisties go into "normal mode". want full boost? go into "sport mode", etc.

also lets not forget gearing plays a big role in hwy mpg. give it a 6 speed with tall 5th and 6th gears, etc. all im saying is that there are ways to improve mpg without having to have a weak engine.

and like i always say. the RA Outtie sport is like the goldilocks of compact crossovers. the RA sportback is too low to the ground. the outlander is too big. the RA outtie would be juuuust right :)

another way to look at it is, look at the nissan juke. right now it has class leading "fun" with its turbo engine and tq vectoring awd. but its small and looks weird. the sportage SX is going to have a 270 hp turbo 4, possibly with active suspension. but that car is gonna be $35k+... if they made the RA outtie? it would AGAIN be juuust right in terms of size, performance, and price. its a no brainer in my book. with such a weak engine juke buyers wouldnt even consider it. mini countryman buyers wouldnt look. sportage sx buyers, tiguan buyers, etc.

with such a glaringly obvious "flaw" only the gas sippers would want one. i say make it turbo, and detune it enough to have pretty good performance and still return pretty good mpg. it can be done. its just up to mitsu to take the leap of faith to do it and market the hell outta it... WRC and Paris-Dakar wins have gone to waste since they dont market that angle at ALL in the states... sure most americans dont even know where dakar is, but when you run old film of your rally car? it excites you.

madfast Feb 4, 2011 10:42 AM

on another note, mitsu just announced that the outtie sport with be made in america starting in 2012...

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...f-de8c4d4b5856

imo, the chances of another engine option probably just went up. as they phase out the eclipse and galant models, they will use that plant for global export of the outtie sport as well. the chances of a japanese built 4B11T making its way into the outtie sport? most likely none...

Boston_eagle Feb 4, 2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 9048258)
power and mpg doesnt need to be mutually exclusive. you can detune a powerful engine but you cant make a weak engine stronger. for example you can have an "eco mode" that bypasses the turbo completely around town and when you want to have fun in the twisties go into "normal mode". want full boost? go into "sport mode", etc.

Actually the 4b11 is used in the outlander sport, and a reinfoced but detuned version form the evo is used in the ralliart for 237 hp and the full 4b11 is used for our 291hp in the evo. And in the evo you have normal and sport (and in the MR, super sport mode).

So Mitsu knows all about the detuning. But it knows that higher costs would ruin this car.

The Outlander sport is not about straightline performance and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Period.

I like the car. My wife and I bought one. But the reality is they already have models for peroformance (Ralliart and EVO trims) and performance with some utility (Ralliart sportback).

Again Mitsu's tagline of "different for a reason" rings true on this model:
-It is a solid crossover that offers 4wd, tech, and utility with the best warranty and cheaper (lower price) than anything in its class. To add different modes or a turbo would increase the cost to near/exceeding the ralliart trims, thus begging the question (why not get a ralliart?) Besides, the Outlander sport already comes with an "ECO" mode when you drive.

As to getting three modes with a mix of power and mpg, you can; it is the Nissan Juke. It has all three modes you describe.

But it is smaller inside, its hatch is small, its 4wd/awd system is not as good as the outlander sport, and it requires premium fuel in order to get 30 mpg.

But you can't fully 'bypass the turbo' it will still be used, but run at lower boost or different/(read: not as aggressive) shift points.

All great offers; I am just glad to see Mitsu develop and bring to market a solid performer that brings and does so much for so little. Glad to hear it is doing well in sales too.

They may add a ralliart version of the car, but I don't know if they will as for the reasons above, especially cost.

However for the car it is, I bet if the Outlander Sport was badged as a Toyota, car review sites would be {pcfreak} over it, but it has to (and is forging) its own identity. Go Mitsu!:mitsu:{thumbup}

madfast Feb 4, 2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Boston_eagle (Post 9048341)
Actually the 4b11 is used in the outlander sport, and a reinfoced but detuned version form the evo is used in the ralliart for 237 hp and the full 4b11 is used for our 291hp in the evo. And in the evo you have normal and sport (and in the MR, super sport mode).

So Mitsu knows all about the detuning. But it knows that higher costs would ruin this car.

The Outlander sport is not about straightline performance and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Period.

I like the car. My wife and I bought one. But the reality is they already have models for peroformance (Ralliart and EVO trims) and performance with some utility (Ralliart sportback).

Again Mitsu's tagline of "different for a reason" rings true on this model:
-It is a solid crossover that offers 4wd, tech, and utility with the best warranty and cheaper (lower price) than anything in its class. To add different modes or a turbo would increase the cost to the ralliart trims, thus begging the question (why not get a ralliart?) Besides, the Outlander sport already comes with an "ECO" mode when you drive.

As to getting three modes with a mix of power and mpg, you can; it is the Nissan Juke. It has all three modes you describe.

But it is smaller inside, its hatch is small, its 4wd/awd system is not as good as the outlander sport, and it requires premium fuel in order to get 30 mpg.

But you can't fully 'bypass the turbo' it will still be used, but run at lower boost or different/(read: not as aggressive) shift points.

All great offers; I am just glad to see Mitsu develop and bring to market a solid performer that brings and does so much for so little. Glad to hear it is doing well in sales too.

I bet if it was badged as a Toyota car review sites would be {pcfreak} over it, but it has to (and is forging) its own identity. Go Mitsu!:mitsu:{thumbup}

i honestly dont think the higher cost of a performance model would kill it. instead it would make people more excited about it. and lets not act as if mitsu would need to design an all new engine, tranny, etc. its right there in the RA. the chassis is based on the lancer, so its not starting from scratch...

i have shopped both the outtie sport and juke. there is no way in hell the juke awd with tq vectoring is worse than the outtie sport. no way in hell. i would be driving a juke right now if it wasnt so small. i can take the funky looks but its just too small for me.

the outtie sport has an eco lamp, it doesnt have an eco mode. im talking about something that changes the ecu mapping so that you can run the car in a detuned state for mpg when you want, and unleash its full power when you dont... that is but one way i am suggesting that you can maybe get better mpg from a powerful engine. power and mpg doesnt have to be mutually exclusive. but it does take work. work mitsu doesnt care to do...

last but not least, nobody is saying we want to drag the outtie sport. what we want is to press the pedal down and have the thing move out of its own way. there is nothing FUN about an appliance, like you are making it sound. FUN can go a long way in terms of selling the car and improving your image... more power is FUN...

Boston_eagle Feb 4, 2011 12:43 PM

hopeful, but agree to disagree

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 9048420)
i honestly dont think the higher cost of a performance model would kill it. instead it would make people more excited about it.

last but not least, nobody is saying we want to drag the outtie sport. what we want is to press the pedal down and have the thing move out of its own way. there is nothing FUN about an appliance, like you are making it sound. FUN can go a long way in terms of selling the car and improving your image... more power is FUN...

Toyota sold over 300,000 Corollas in 2009. 300,000. Excitement has different meaning to different buyers. You and I and many others reading this are here, bound by our mutual enjoyment of excitement for us: High hp, state of the art transmissions, amazing AWD grip and handling, etc.

To others, what is exciting is reliable transportation, performance in terms of MPG, simple and easy to use interfaces, a large cargo area for people/goods/roadtrip (not named explorer, suburban, etc). and some coll tech for one's ride. Sport tuned suspension and high hp did not lead 300,000 to buy Corollas. Warranty, mpg, ipod connections are other appealing factors that were exciting to SOME. While exciting can be subjective, it lead to 300,000 sales.

Mitsubishi already has performance models, and their flagship (EVO) is their best known car. In order to grow market share, they need something to sell in ADDITION to their performance lineup.

Hello Outlander Sport.

I will end by saying would it be cool if they made a ralliart trim? sure. Will they? possible, but not probable, as they would be over saturating their own market share, which is already around 1% of all new car sales, especially since they are looking to expand market share while retaining their strongest known characteristic: Performance.

Cheers!:beer::mitsu:{thumbup}

libz Feb 4, 2011 02:32 PM

ugly imo and i wouldnt :X get an x5 instead :p

GPTourer Feb 5, 2011 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 9048420)
i honestly dont think the higher cost of a performance model would kill it. ..

I understand your point of view and appreciate your enthusiasm, but don't you find it ironic that you are arguing with a guy who actually bought one? We're basically discussing theoretical future sales against an actual sold unit when the market right now is telling us that inexpensive vehicles with good mpg is what is selling not higher horspower, higher cost and less fuel economy.

The bottom line is the people with the money in hand are excited about cars like the Outlander Sport. Mitsubishi needs to work on making their brand a palatable choice for more buyers - not worry about developing a faster OSport to impress the auto journos.

madfast Feb 5, 2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by GPTourer (Post 9050348)
I understand your point of view and appreciate your enthusiasm, but don't you find it ironic that you are arguing with a guy who actually bought one? We're basically discussing theoretical future sales against an actual sold unit when the market right now is telling us that inexpensive vehicles with good mpg is what is selling not higher horspower, higher cost and less fuel economy.

The bottom line is the people with the money in hand are excited about cars like the Outlander Sport. Mitsubishi needs to work on making their brand a palatable choice for more buyers - not worry about developing a faster OSport to impress the auto journos.

no not really ironic at all. the fact that the man owns an evo, explains why he bought the car.

if a regular joe on the street were to choose between the outtie sport, cr-v or rav4, he would most likely go with what he knows, the cr-v or rav4. so what mitsu has to do is cater to US, the enthusiast, and not try to appeal to the cr-v and rav4 buyers...

i honestly still believe in the "halo car" and in this day and age, the age of social media and the internets, i honestly do believe that the "halo car" is at its most effective right now!

look at what the GT-R has done for nissan! it has elevated its brand on a global level. they recently took over honda as japan's 2nd biggest auto maker. is it a coincidence that honda killed off the NSX and S2000 and now they're going down? while nissan made the GT-R a global car and is now on its way up?

mitsu HAS a halo car, the evo, and yet they do NOTHING with it. they should pimp the hell out of their 4B11T in various states of tune and there you go, no need for a V6. in the same breath you can say oh crap this car is now "rally inspired" be cause it has a detuned evo engine. they should offer AWD as an option on all of their cars. pimp the "AWC" and "S-AWC" branding (they have in the outlander gt) to make more connections to the evo and its rally heritage. etc etc etc... now im not saying kill off the economic car. im saying offer the high end racing car to keep the brand in the spotlight, on magazine covers, on car blogs, on facebook wall posts, in tweets, etc. they are fading into obscurity because nobody tweets about their appliances, but they do tweet about their sportscars...

how does mitsu make their brand more palatable when they have NO media coverage? how do they get media coverage, by making people moving appliances? mitsu isnt toyota. they cant pull it off. mitsu should use its best asset: the evo. and the more "evoness" a mitsu product has, the better it will look to the people. the corporate evo face isnt enough when it has no substance behind it. use the AWD tech like subaru has in its entire lineup. use turbos and DI like everyone else on the planet.

going back to the outlander sport this is an example of what im talking about:

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...n-juke-sl-awd/

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...tlander-sport/

anyone who reads those blogs above will come away hyped about the juke, and their trepidations on the outtie sport confirmed. its that simple. make a good all around car with a dash of excitement and the car sells itself... make a car with a glaringly obvious "flaw" and people will be quick to call it out...

when talking about print magazines, the juke has already beat a mini countryman in a comparo. the outtie sport? no coverage at all in a feature article. whats worse than losing a comparo? not even being worthy enough to be talked about.

and that's not the first time. there was a sporty hatchback comparo a while ago where the RA sportback was included, ranked, and in the pictures, but not a single word was written about it except a small blurb in the end. like... WOW.... this is what we're dealing with. mitsu doesnt give the press any reason to talk about them besides the evo...

GPTourer Feb 5, 2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 9050643)
no not really ironic at all. the fact that the man owns an evo, explains why he bought the car.

No it doesn't. All it explains is he believes Mitsu makes a decent car and they are at least on the radar for his wife to consider. It is his wife that is driving it. If she didn't like it they most likely wouldn't own it. My wife likes the Lancer Sportback and we will also go look at a Outlander Sport. She trusts my judgment in that Mitsubishi makes a good car, but it isn't the only brand of vehicle she likes and what she is considering. In the end, it is her choice and I want her to pick the one the one she wants that will make her happy.

3/4's of the Mitsubishi and Nissan dealers in the country don't even have a Evo or GT-R in their showrooms. Average Jane going into look at an Altima today doesn't not give darn about the GT-R's existence nor is it a factor in encouraging her to buy it over a Galant. The fact that there might not even be a Mitsu dealer in her town, nor has she seen any commercials for it nor do any of her friends have one are more major factors in determining if she seeks one out - not because they make a weird little car with a big wing that costs a lot of money for reasons she doesn't understand why.

madfast Feb 5, 2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by GPTourer (Post 9050897)
No it doesn't. All it explains is he believes Mitsu makes a decent car and they are at least on the radar for his wife to consider. It is his wife that is driving it. If she didn't like it they most likely wouldn't own it. My wife likes the Lancer Sportback and we will also go look at a Outlander Sport. She trusts my judgment in that Mitsubishi makes a good car, but it isn't the only brand of vehicle she likes and what she is considering. In the end, it is her choice and I want her to pick the one the one she wants that will make her happy.

3/4's of the Mitsubishi and Nissan dealers in the country don't even have a Evo or GT-R in their showrooms. Average Jane going into look at an Altima today doesn't not give darn about the GT-R's existence nor is it a factor in encouraging her to buy it over a Galant. The fact that there might not even be a Mitsu dealer in her town, nor has she seen any commercials for it nor do any of her friends have one are more major factors in determining if she seeks one out - not because they make a weird little car with a big wing that costs a lot of money for reasons she doesn't understand why.

if you didnt exist, would your wife walk into a mitsu dealership and look at the outlander sport on her own accord? or would she walk into a toyota dealership like the rest of the masses?

would boston's wife had done the same without his input?

So while Jane may not give a crap about the evo or GT-R, her wife Joe may. and his input will influence her purchase. in fact there was a study sometime ago that showed the man has the most influence when buying a car. it all goes hand in hand. nissan makes the GT-R, the automotive press can't stop talking about it, nissan gets its name out there, and then joe reads about it online or in a magazine and his impression of the entire brand is improved just by that one car. and specifically, nissan isnt hedging all their bets on one car. they also have the leaf to appeal to the green crowd...

Noize Feb 6, 2011 05:24 PM

I think Evo guys would lean on their wives to buy if they did a limited run of Ralliart Outlanders. With the SST and the RA motor, what a fun little SUV it could be!

My wife currently has a CRV. I like the small size since we only have two kids, but I despise the fact it only has 156HP and it can't get out of its own way. Traveling around holidays in it is dismal. With a 4B11T in a RA, I could flash it, and it'd be a fun little SUV for any Evo guy for certain! :D

elmerfud54 Feb 6, 2011 05:36 PM

check this out http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/f...evolander.html

my wife wants it haha

warstang27 Feb 6, 2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 8877097)
like i said before, kia is coming out with a 270+ hp sportage sx. if mitsu wants to compete they're gonna have to step up. im not even asking for anything new. just use the stuff you already have. using the RA engine and the Outlander GT AWD system makes perfect sense. offer a choice of 5sp manual or SST and it'd be perfect.

or you could just buy the kia sportage, it'll sport a reworked 4B11 like the gen coupe and sonata {thumbup}:mitsu:

GPTourer Feb 7, 2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 9050951)
if you didnt exist, would your wife walk into a mitsu dealership and look at the outlander sport on her own accord? or would she walk into a toyota dealership like the rest of the masses?

No she wouldn't. And it doesn't matter that I have an Evo. If I was still driving my Galant or just my Eclipse she would consider an Outlander Sport because I would tell her that Mitsubishi makes a good car. Simply knowing someone or being married to a person that likes Mitsubishis is MORE important.

I sold cars to other family members and their friends through word of mouth, because I am a good salesperson first, and because Mitsubishi makes a great vehicle - long before the Evo reached these shores. Mitsubishi's best year in this country was 2002 before the Evo got here.

in fact there was a study sometime ago that showed the man has the most influence when buying a car.
Every study I have seen in the 11 years I've been in this business has told me that the woman has the most influence. Unless we are talking about single guys, in which case, they are a minority of car buyers - and they aren't looking at small crossovers.