Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo VII GT-A ECU

Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoEclipse01
The only thing different between the two gearboxes are the gears themselves. This has no effect on the ECU.

NONE of the parameters you listed as different have ANYTHING to do with the ECU maps (excep the MAF size, which can be changed).

To Monsta- We're trying to use a 2002/03 ROM. The 2005 has a different memory size (Evo IX base), as you stated, and will not flash our car. The transmission parameters of the 3G won't work for you, as we have a 4 speed Sporty, not a 5 speed...

Where can I host the ROM/Definition to let you d/l it?

Also, can you post a GT-A ROM for me to toy with?
He said they are the same .. I said they are not .. that's all I'm saying ..

the difference in the ECU is in SOME of the pinouts .. not all of it .. There's 3 pinouts that's speed referenced which is not in the Airtrek ECU ..The engine pinouts are the same.. so you probably can start the car and such ..

You're welcome to try .. I'm just telling you there's differences and be careful with the pinouts if you really want to go ahead .. I've burnt 1 .. he has not .. so you're 50/50
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
He said they are the same .. I said they are not .. that's all I'm saying ..

the difference in the ECU is in SOME of the pinouts .. not all of it .. There's 3 pinouts that's speed referenced which is not in the Airtrek ECU ..The engine pinouts are the same.. so you probably can start the car and such ..

You're welcome to try .. I'm just telling you there's differences and be careful with the pinouts if you really want to go ahead .. I've burnt 1 .. he has not .. so you're 50/50

You have an Evo VII GT-A, right? Not an Evo VII Manual?

If it's a GT-A, please post up some your pinnouts, as this would be EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Both the Airtrek and the GT-A ROMs do the same thing when flashed to our cars. I'm not worried about the differences between the two, I'm worried about differences "ECU-WISE" between them and the Evo VIII/IX.

The VIII ROM will flash, and runs the engine perfect, but won't drive the transmission. The IX ROM (and '05 Airtrek ROM) won't flash because of lack of storage space on our 262KB ECUs.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, as you both are helping, but you're giving me every bit of information except the information that I need.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big difference ecu wise between the Evos ecu and the GTA/Airtrek. The lack of auto control is a major
If your trying to run the 4 speed your out of luck. Is wish is was simple to allow fo it the the sher number of maps plus the fact that I dont think there is a global adjustment for 4spd/5spd selection.

Part of your problem with trying to run with our roms is the roms are designed to run with a particular pinout- WHICH is what you are trying to figure out.
Ill post my one when I get home next week.

A GTA rom that I have http://www.evilshare.com/63ca2144-71...b-00a0c993e9d6
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Gear box is NOT the same .. same part number .. yes .. I had both too .. strip it apart .. and you'll know ..

Pistons are NOT the same .. though size wise it is .. dunno if you're referring to that ..

Block is NOT the same .. though it has the same number .. check the coolant passages ..

Head is NOT the same .. most of the differences are internal and all of it are coolant passages .. the cams/valvesprings retainers are different ..

MAF is NOT the same .. and it's not interchangeable ..

Semantics wise .. you're right .. it's easier to state what's different than what's not .. but its all these weird differences that adds up ..

BTW .. I also noticed there are TWO versions of GT-A .. a JDM/EDM and an export Aussie version .. hmm ..

Good luck on your GT3540 .. your gearbox is not going to hold .. it's going to be the 1st to go .. heck mine can't even hold a smallish GT30 ..
Sorry this is

I think as my car was very very late in the production run and its is the face lift version- there maybe some changes made.

Im looking at the gearbox now and its identical, gear ratio wise, the whole lot. It even has the same Part Number in CAPS

The pistons in my engine have a different part number in CAPS to a manual E7 but inspection showed that they were identical, including the numbering on the pistons, ring gap etc.
I did hear of the Singapore guys were changing their pistons etc and had taken mine out to do the swap, but there was no need.

I dont know what block you have, but mine is an E7 one, it has the oil sprayers for under the pistons and im currently running a E7 head after some head bolt stretching problems (yes the coolant passeges matched)
Crank,conrod partnumbers are the same as a Manual E7 in CAPS

Oops yes the mafs are different- Ive been running an E7 one for ages now from when I changed intake pipe and MAF when I did the front mount. Ive got it in front of me and a spare E7 one as well- the housings are different because of the different intake pipes, but the internal dimensions are the same.

You have to remember that the actual bits in the gearbox which clamp down to hold the power (end clutches, bands etc) are the same as in the gearboxes that the DSM guys are running 9s with. Once you increase line pressure and change the duty rates for the damping solenoids the gearbox can EASILY hold 600 hp at the wheels.
The only issue is the shift shock it very light loads at low speed, like changing into 3rd at 40kph. The shifting speed can be increased MASSIVELY from stock, but also with the loss of comfort.

If anything does break/fail in the gearbox we will find out what happened and see if we can make that bit stronger in the next box. How many manual gearboxes did Shep go through before he found the right way to do it? Also I know of a GTA in japan tht HKS Kansai did which is pulling @ 600hp at the wheels with a modified standard box.

Im running 390HP at the wheels currently and yes before the adjustments it struggled to hold the power- but now- yea baby it holds

My only problem with the gearbox and running the 10 is that im not changing the Torque convertor to a 4000rpm one, so there is not going to be much boost at take off. If it becomes the thing which is stopping me from making the time, Ill chuck some nitrous at DSM style to get the good 60ft.

The whole thing with my car is Im pushing the limits with as much stock stuff in the engine and gearbox as possible- knowing full well that things could break- but thats what moneys for

Ive got a spare E8 block and head and will build a fully forged stroker when this engine decides its had enough.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by monsta
Big difference ecu wise between the Evos ecu and the GTA/Airtrek. The lack of auto control is a major
If your trying to run the 4 speed your out of luck. Is wish is was simple to allow fo it the the sher number of maps plus the fact that I dont think there is a global adjustment for 4spd/5spd selection.

Part of your problem with trying to run with our roms is the roms are designed to run with a particular pinout- WHICH is what you are trying to figure out.
Ill post my one when I get home next week.

A GTA rom that I have http://www.evilshare.com/63ca2144-71...b-00a0c993e9d6
3 Things...

1) The car shifts from 1st to 2nd with this ROM, and it shifts from 2nd to 3rd (at a stop), it's not a matter of the ECU not communicating with the Transmission, it's a matter of the ROM NOT STAYING ON. The Evo VIII ROM won't run the transmission, we know that...but what we're trying to find out why THAT ROM stays running and the Airtrek/GT-A ROMs cut off (like an immobilizer).

2) I need a pinnout of the 2003 GT-A/Airtrek in order to compare it to the Evo VIII/IX ECU pinnouts so that I can see them in comparison in order to find out if the pins for the key engine dynamics are still the same. If it's a matter of adding pins, than that's fine, but if the Evo ECU and the GT-A ECU are the same (minus the Tranny control), than there shouldn't be a problem running the ROMs.

3) Thanx for the ROM. Do you have the definition? If I need to define it myself, what's the Case Label and Calibration ID for it? Under an Evo 7 base, right?

Last edited by Benz04GSR; Jun 22, 2007 at 05:29 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry this is

I think as my car was very very late in the production run and its is the face lift version- there maybe some changes made.

Im looking at the gearbox now and its identical, gear ratio wise, the whole lot. It even has the same Part Number in CAPS

The pistons in my engine have a different part number in CAPS to a manual E7 but inspection showed that they were identical, including the numbering on the pistons, ring gap etc.
I did hear of the Singapore guys were changing their pistons etc and had taken mine out to do the swap, but there was no need.

I dont know what block you have, but mine is an E7 one, it has the oil sprayers for under the pistons and im currently running a E7 head after some head bolt stretching problems (yes the coolant passeges matched)
Crank,conrod partnumbers are the same as a Manual E7 in CAPS

Oops yes the mafs are different- Ive been running an E7 one for ages now from when I changed intake pipe and MAF when I did the front mount. Ive got it in front of me and a spare E7 one as well- the housings are different because of the different intake pipes, but the internal dimensions are the same.

You have to remember that the actual bits in the gearbox which clamp down to hold the power (end clutches, bands etc) are the same as in the gearboxes that the DSM guys are running 9s with. Once you increase line pressure and change the duty rates for the damping solenoids the gearbox can EASILY hold 600 hp at the wheels.
The only issue is the shift shock it very light loads at low speed, like changing into 3rd at 40kph. The shifting speed can be increased MASSIVELY from stock, but also with the loss of comfort.

If anything does break/fail in the gearbox we will find out what happened and see if we can make that bit stronger in the next box. How many manual gearboxes did Shep go through before he found the right way to do it? Also I know of a GTA in japan tht HKS Kansai did which is pulling @ 600hp at the wheels with a modified standard box.

Im running 390HP at the wheels currently and yes before the adjustments it struggled to hold the power- but now- yea baby it holds

My only problem with the gearbox and running the 10 is that im not changing the Torque convertor to a 4000rpm one, so there is not going to be much boost at take off. If it becomes the thing which is stopping me from making the time, Ill chuck some nitrous at DSM style to get the good 60ft.

The whole thing with my car is Im pushing the limits with as much stock stuff in the engine and gearbox as possible- knowing full well that things could break- but thats what moneys for

Ive got a spare E8 block and head and will build a fully forged stroker when this engine decides its had enough.
*******, MAN! What do you do for a living?! I wish I could afford HALF that ****, and I'd be set!

Noice Set-up though... got pics? (If so link to another post)
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Started Def on this http://www.evilshare.com/332a79ac-72...b-00a0c993e9d6

Will have some time over the next week to finish it.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoEclipse01
*******, MAN! What do you do for a living?! I wish I could afford HALF that ****, and I'd be set!

Noice Set-up though... got pics? (If so link to another post)
Thanks

I do R&D for a major appliance manufactor.

Will do pics asap
Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:43 PM

Did you see this.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=xml
Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

NoIcE, I'll work with it soon.

Thanx, guys!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:05 AM
Account Disabled

So is there a way to figure out which pinouts being swithced would cause the voltage spike that happens while running the aitrek rom...
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Just found out something recently ..

Whatever you load to the ECU does not affect the transmission because the transmission program is not dumped..

01EclipseGS .. pm me your email .. I'll try to scan the tech manual for you.. it's in japanese though

Another thing .. is the car running on sequential gearbox or the standard PRND32 ?? .. the spike is from the subroutine calling for shifting ..
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry this is

Yes .. the later production Airtreks uses leftover E7 bin parts ..

I'm actually more interested in the above that you mentioned .. if that's what you need to clamp the clutches.. how DO you increase line pressure and duty rates ?

Does that mean I can buy the endclutches from the F4a gearbox and it will fit ??
Old Jul 8, 2007, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

You have to drain ATF fluild and undo the black valve cover. Once you do that it will look like the picture. The adjusting knob is hard to miss.

The end clutches are similar to the F4. I got my end clutches redone with kevlar.
They werent worn at all and proberly didnt need to be changed.

Once the line pressure is increased, you should have much quicker shifts and that feeling of slippage in higher gears goes away.

That feeling is mostly to do with the damper clutch settings. The duty cycles were programmed for stock power/turbo, so when this changes the response feels different.
Mostly the damper clucthes were used to adjust comfort and speed of shift changes and transition from converter to lockup. Ive found that increasing the line pressure restores the feel and increases the activation speeds.

We will find out alot more about the ultimate power handling ability of the gearbox when we start hitting over 30 psi on the GT35R.

Considering that the actual power holding parts of the gearbox is near identical to the auto DSM guys- I think it will hold up fine. Considering the DSM guys are running 9s with only uprated valve bodies(for higher line pressure and gear changing speed) and 4K torque convertors I hope that we will be fine.

I will turn to Nitrous before increasing the stall- because the car is a road car which could go fast in a drag.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Just found out something recently ..

Whatever you load to the ECU does not affect the transmission because the transmission program is not dumped..

01EclipseGS .. pm me your email .. I'll try to scan the tech manual for you.. it's in japanese though

Another thing .. is the car running on sequential gearbox or the standard PRND32 ?? .. the spike is from the subroutine calling for shifting ..
it would call for shifting even while staying in Park?
its PRND... and then pushing to the right for the sporty mode which is 4spd...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo VII GT-A ECU