Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evoscan 2.5 on Evo 5, need help.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evoscan 2.5 on Evo 5, need help.

Hey guys,

I can't seem to get Evoscan 2.5 to log my Evo5.

I have gotten Mitsulogger to work using Tactrix 1.3U cable, only my Innovate LM1 wouldn't log properly.

Evoscan says "link engaged" and immediately after that it will say "link disengaged", thus creating an empty log file, it will keep doing this and creating empty log files until you press "stop datalogger".

Above is a screenshot, on the right you can see what I'm talking about where it says "No response from vehicle ECU".

I'm pretty sure I have the com ports set up correctly. Why is it that when I go to choose a com port, it only has com port 1 ticked, and I cannot choose any other com port?

Any help or advice on how to set up evoscan to get it working will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your problem is still need to install the ELM327 USB FTDI drivers (for the Tactrix USB cable). The Tactrix USB cable will appear as a virtual COM port, so the COM port number is normally COM5 - COM8. You can find the ELM327 USB drivers on the Evoscan home page (http://limitless.co.nz/), towards the bottom. After you have installed the USB COM port driver for the Tactrix cable, plug your Tactrix cable in, go to your Control Panel, and COM ports to see which Virtual COM port the OS has assigned to the Tactrix cable, and then configure Evoscan to use that virtual COM port.

Note: the Tactrix USB COM port driver requires MS .NET Framework v2.0 or later (already installed by default with Windows Vista), so if you are using WinXP you will need to downlaod that from the MS site and install that too.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:36 PM

Wow,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I'll try that and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:10 PM

The cable drivers were already installed with EcuFlash.

EcuFlash has worked already (I got the Rom image from the ECU)

and, Mitsulogger works and logs as normal, with the only exception being that it does not read my LM1 properly (which works because Logworks pick it up fine).

I am at a loss for what is actually causing the error and the drop off when the link is in fact engaged.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I am trying to remember exactly what I did since I did this fairly recently. My setup didn't seem to work straight off the bat either, and I needed to fiddle around with it a bit before it started working. I might have had to (re-)install the USB drivers, even though I had previously installed EcuFlash, but I am not sure, I was doing a bunch of other things as well to try and get it working at the time, like installing .NET, rebooting, playing with the ignition key etc.

One thing to try: Open Control Panel, Com Ports. Make sure the virtual COM Port (usually COM5-COM8), appears and disappears when you plug and unplug the Tactrix USB cable. Also note that often the COM# (COM5-COM8) will usually change depending on which USB port on your PC you plug the Tactrix cable into (though it usually stays the stays the same if you plug the Tactrix cable into the same USB port each time). Make sure that Evoscan is configured to use the correct COM port, by setting Evoscan to use the COM port reported in use by Control Panel.

Also, do you have Vista or MS .NET Framework 2.0 or later installed?

One other thing, the Connection Successful may just mean that Evoscan connected to the Tactrix cable, and not actually through the cable to the vehicle itself. Also, I think you may need the car to be on, or at least the ignition key switched to ACC for the ECU to be accessible via the OBD port.

Last edited by SoCal Rally; Apr 12, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:19 PM

I already tried reinstalling the USB drivers. Mitsulogger still works as normal.

I have the latest .net framework, i think 3.5, using windows xp sp3.

The comport on evoscan is set to 1 by default and i cannot change it. it's just not selecting another comport, so i changed the comport of the cable itself to comport 1. still nothing.

I tried unplugging and replugging the cable, with the car started, also with it on ON position.

For tactrix cable am I supposed to use EcuFlash drivers or Evoscan drivers?

This is getting frustrating
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

I'm using WinXP SP3 too, and it works for me. And yeah, .NET Framework 3.5 is the latest version, which is what I have installed and works for me.

The Tactrix cable contains a chip made by a manufacturer called FTDI that makes the USB cable behave like a virtual COM port (i.e. the Tactrix cable is not just a cable, there is a circuitry inside the OBD port dongle end). So for the Tactrix cable to work it needs the driver for the chip made by FTDI. Supposedly, when you install EcuFlash it automatically installs the FTDI driver for you ... or you can install the driver manually using the link near the bottom of the limitless.co.nz like I mentioned before.

Try this:
- Plug your Tactrix cable into a USB port (you don't need to plug the OBD end of the cable into the car for this test)
- Open EvoScan
- Click the 'Wideband (WBD)' menu bar in the top row towards the right
- Scroll down to 'Open Windows Device Manager to check Ports (COM)'
- Inside the Device Manager window that opens, scroll down, and click the '+' sign next to Ports (COM & LPT)
- You should see 'OpenPort 1.3 Universal (as Serial Port) (COMX)', where X is the virtual com port number that the Tactrix cable is emulating (mine appears as COM6)

If you don't see 'OpenPort 1.3 Universal (as Serial Port) (COMX)' inside the Ports group in Device Manager, WinXP isn't recognizing the Tactrix cable. In which case, you'll need to make sure the .NET Framework is installed correctly and/or try reinstalling the FTDI driver for the Tactrix cable.

If you do see 'OpenPort 1.3 Universal (as Serial Port) (COMX)' inside the Ports group in Device Manager, make a note of which virtual COM port it has assigned to the Tactrix cable, and go back to EvoScan and make sure Wideband (WDB) --> Select Wideband Serial ComPort matches the number that Device Manager assigned to the Tactrix cable.

P.S. COM1 sounds like an actual physical COM port (you know like on the back of a PC or Laptop) that you can connect an actual 9-pin/25-pin serial cable to, so if EvoScan isn't giving you any other COM options other than COM1, then chances are that the FTDI driver for the Tactrix USB cable and/or .NET Framework isn't installed correctly so EvoScan can't see the Virtual Com Port assigned to the Tactrix cable by WinXP.

Last edited by SoCal Rally; Apr 13, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:08 AM

I never thought of that.

I'll try it first thing in the morning.

I thought the comport in wideband dropdown menu was to select the wideband device, but you are saying that is for the tactrix cable? We'll see what happens I guess.

I just upgraded to evoscan v2.6 beta11. We'll see if this makes any difference as well.

Pics of my car in case you were interested.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by luvnish
I thought the comport in wideband dropdown menu was to select the wideband device, but you are saying that is for the tactrix cable? We'll see what happens I guess.
Sorry, I misled you on that part, it was late at night and I was doing it from memory. The 'Select Wideband Serial ComPort' in the Wideband (WDB) drop down menu is indeed for the Wideband cable i.e. not for the Tactrix cable. Sorry about that.

I do still suggest using the 'Open Windows Device Manager to check Com Ports (COM)' item from that drop down menu (or use Control Panel --> System --> Hardware Tab --> Device Manager --> Ports) to make sure than WinXP can recognize your Tactrix cable when it is connected.

To set up the Tactrix cable inside EvoScan, from the 'Logging' drop down menu next to 'File' on the top left hand side, hover over the 'Select USB Device' menu item and make sure 'OpenPort 1.3 Universal' is listed and checked. Note: it seems you have to plug in the Tactrix cable before starting EvoScan for this to work (the 'Select USB Device' menu item doesn't seem to update itself to reveal the 'OpenPort 1.3 Universal' i.e. Tactrix cable as selectable if you only plug the Tactrix cable in after EvoScan has been started.

Since I don't have any physical serial ports on my netbook, EvoScan won't let me select COM ports other than 'COM1' either. I am sure this doesn't make any difference since as EvoScan is showing I am using the Tactrix Cable when I click Select USB Device.

EDIT: I just took another look at your screenshot up at the top, I noticed in the 'Device Setup' box up at top that it shows the other options greyed out, and 'EVOSCAN USB CABLE' selected, so it looks like EvoScan can recognize your Tactrix cable just fine.

TRY THIS: In the middle near the top, for 'Select ECU', even though your car may have an OBDII port, try switching the 'Select ECU' item back to 'EFI'. My netbook has 'EFI' selected and EvoScan was working fine for me on an Evo IX.

Last edited by SoCal Rally; Apr 13, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:43 PM

It works!!!

I did a clean install on a Vista Laptop, and it worked.

I used the drivers from EcuFlash 1.29a, installed evoscan 2.5, upgraded it to 2.6 beta11, installed usb-serial cable driver for LM1 logging, and it all worked like a charm.

I plan to do a clean install on my laptop to get rid of all the different drivers and residual files on it, and then emulate the process I used to get it working on the Vista laptop.

To me it seemed like a driver problem, or a driver conflicting problem.

It works perfectly on my brother's vista laptop but that's a 15.4" laptop and its huge, I need my 10" Eee to work

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes with my XP laptop.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, glad you got it working. I have EvoScan working on an EeePC (Asus 1000HE 10" netbook running WinXP SP3), and it works like a charm, so there's definitely hope for you too.

P.S. Make sure you install .NET Framework 2.0 or later on the Eee though, since that's one key difference between the two, as .NET Framework comes pre-installed on Vista machines by default. Also, make sure it's the full install of the .NET Framework (about 237 MB for 3.5 SP1), and not just a patch upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:19 PM

I think it may not be working because the .net I got must have been just the patch upgrade, the file was not over 200mb for sure.

I did some logs with the vista laptop though.

AFR very very lean, KnockSum very very high , in the teens at the 6000rpm range, AFR's in the 12's and 13's throughout the 3rd gear pull.

I don't know if this could be related to a fueling problem or something but the car is running stock boost, TBE, and intake. I'm thinking failing fuel pump, dirty injectors, clogged fuel filter, incorrectly gapped plugs, or plugs with too high of a heatrange?

What do you think?

PM me your email address so I can send the logs to you.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:03 PM

http://www.2shared.com/file/5340867/...13_185306.html

http://www.2shared.com/file/5340880/...13_185944.html

I uploaded the logs so you can look at them here.