Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Input Output Sensor MPD?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input Output Sensor MPD?

hello.

I have a problem with my Evo VII LHD. I installed the Apexi Power FC and run the engine. But constantly shines the checks engine lamp. In the input output check shines the sensor MPD, can to me for one say which this for a sensor is?

in the guidance nothing is located from the sensor MPD.

Cheers Dani
Old Dec 11, 2003, 09:01 AM

up
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:57 PM
EvoM Guru

If you have the boost control option enabled and you do not have the optional boost control selonoid plugged in, the check engine light will stay on all the time just as you described. To see if this is your problem, from the main menu go to ETC, function select, at the top of the menu there is a function called "Boost cntl". The enable/disable characters are in Japanese (I think), If you do not have the optional boost control kit the enable character should look somthing like this +=J , if you see somthing that looks like ,?j, use the arrow buttons to change it and that should clear up the check engine light.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:03 AM

that is not the problem, I already tried out. what can it still be?
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:34 PM
EvoM Guru

The VII ECU is different than the VIII, unfortunately most people here are only familiar with the VIII.
Does the car run normally otherwise?
A US VIII will have some differences, I do not see any sensors listed as MPD, my system is an L-jetro. Is yours a L-jetro or D-jetro? MPD - Manifold Pressure Density? Just guessing.

Did you try to get support from APEXI or the Excel dealer you bought it from?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 02:50 AM

Hi Silver Surfer and WRC VII, I'd just installed the PFC on my VII too. If you guys don't mind, I've got a few queries........

I'm running on base map, 98 Ron, 1.5bar(21-22psi) of boost(HKS EVC V) and clock 40 knocks. Is this within the torelence limit? My check engine light did not flash at all. Injector clock a max value of 83% with a 255L fuel pump. And the EGT's max temp is 1100 degC. Are all this normal or am I running too lean?

My car is basically stock with a ARC Induction box, a 'operated' original exhaust and a Power Fuel Pump.

One thing I've noticed is that when I pull at 3rd gear, the rpm drops a little at around 4500-5000 before it starts pulling again.

Any advise?

Last edited by ds18; Dec 13, 2003 at 05:15 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

1100* C is COOKING. Your definately lean. Keep it below 900* C.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

1100* C is COOKING. Your definately lean. Keep it below 900* C.
While 1100C does sound very high. I do not subscribe to the below 900C mark either. I think it depends on what type of sensor you have and where it is positioned. To get some base line readings before I did any modifications to my EVO I installed gauges for EGT, A/F (wide band), oil temp, and boost. My EGT gauge is APEXI with record and peak hold, the sensor is about 4-5" out on the #1 piston. From reading my plugs this seems to be the hottest running cylinder. Even bone stock I would see over 900C under sustained load, I am not talking about just a 3rd or fourth gear pull. I am talking road course driving or long highway driving at well over a 100MPH. With my particular setup I like to see temps no higher than 950C, of course YMMV. I also have over 20K hard miles with no internal mods, not even head studs yet.

I'm running on base map, 98 Ron, 1.5bar(21-22psi) of boost(HKS EVC V) and clock 40 knocks. Is this within the torelence limit? My check engine light did not flash at all. Injector clock a max value of 83% with a 255L fuel pump. And the EGT's max temp is 1100 degC. Are all this normal or am I running too lean?
According to APEXI knock counts under 60 are considered safe, although I shoot for less than 25. With the tunning interface, (EXCEL, DataLogit) you can adjust the knock alert, but it comes preset at 60.

1100C does seem way to high, under sustained high load the most I have ever seen is mid to low 900 C. I wonder if your EGT is reading correctly though because I would expect to see a much higher knock count if you were really running that lean at 1.5 bar. You should really put a wide band in and see what your A/F ratios are.
Although running the same boost and the 255L pump I am seeing mid/low 90's on my injector duty cycle when running past 7000 RPM at 1.5 bar. So maybe you are running that lean? For safety I run mid 11's to high 10's at 1.5 bar load (3.5K to 7.5K).

The PFC for the VIII comes pre-loaded with maps developed for the US market EVO (lower octane gas), so we may not be able to do a direct comparison. The base maps on the VIII PFC were actually to rich IMO (set for 91 oct, I can get 93), I wound up taking out about 5% accross the board.
I wonder if your ARC induction system is affecting your MAF sensor, you can compensate for this with the MAF sensor correction table, but you need to use a wide band first to see whats going on.

One thing I've noticed is that when I pull at 3rd gear, the rpm drops a little at around 4500-5000 before it starts pulling again.
I am thinking that either your plugs are begin to foul, or that intake is causing the MAF to hit a lean/rich spot in your curve. A wide band would help you immensly, there are nice ones out there now for as little as $300-$400, a really good investment for anyone modifing there car IMO.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:10 AM

Thanks guys(especially Silver Surfer), for the input. Will have it tuned properly with a wide band. I was looking at the A/F Ratio on my Apexi TT(I know it's not accurate) and was hitting 10 at WOT. My EGT sensor is somewhere on the downpipe.

In the meantime, I'll just drive normally until I get it tuned.

Thanks again!

Cheers!!!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

If the sensor is some where on the down pipe perhaps that was 1100 Fahernheit not Celcius? Exhaust temps drop dramatically the further you are from the exhaust ports. Temps after the turbo can be 200-300C cooler, it does not seem possible that you were seeing 1100C that far down, not with your engine still running normally.

I would maybe throw the stock ECU back in an get some temp references.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:37 AM

It's Deg Celcius and not Fahernheit. Does that mean that I'm actually running 1300-1400C deg? Btw, I'm using Defi Link Display.

Last edited by ds18; Dec 15, 2003 at 12:39 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Does that mean that I'm actually running 1300-1400C deg? Btw, I'm using Defi Link Display.
I think there is Somthing wrong with your EGT gauge, if those readings were correct that would be around 2500 degrees F! Things would be melting, were talking severe engine/turbo damage. Since your still running ok I have to assume those values are incorrect.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 12:21 AM

Will get it checked as soon as possible. Btw, are you running on base map? You using the commander for adjustments?
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:35 AM

Hy

Here is a picture of the Problem.

Sensor MDP

i have a Importet "Jap" Evo VII.

any ideas?

is the Manifold Difference Pressure sensor really broken?
Old Dec 21, 2003, 03:58 PM

I recognized the problem. my Evo VII does not have this sensor. Only the Evo VIII. Can someone help which I to now make is?

Quick Reply: Input Output Sensor MPD?