Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Over BOOST!

Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over BOOST!

Mods are Turbo Back, Perrin MBC, Pump, Injectors, and Tune. Using Stock air box with a Cobb cone filter. Started to notice today in high gears (5th or 4th) that my car is boosting damn close to 30 psi when it spikes. It's tuned to 26 psi. I recently switched turbo backs from a ****ty megan to a Invidia down pipe, MAP test pipe, and HKS sport catback. My tuner thinks it might just be the colder temps. I checked the lines on the boost controller and where they run from to the wastegate and turbo. Everything seems to be connected fine. He told me to turn the boost controller, which i'm going to do. Until he has time to fit me in, any suggestions on cause and fix?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also am running a 1st gen AMS LICP

Last edited by st_evo; Nov 11, 2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Left out a part
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My guess is that you went to a less restrictive down pipe and if you added the test pipe where you had a cat when you were tuned then that is your issue right there... Removing the cat and putting in a test pipe will most definitely open up the exhaust creating less back pressure allowing you to make more boost without changing anything else.
Just turn down your boost controller until you are hitting the 26psi you were tuned for and you'll be good.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:33 AM

Could be the down pipe. I had a test pipe in the megan too. I'll crank it down the mbc and see what happens.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by st_evo
Could be the down pipe. I had a test pipe in the megan too. I'll crank it down the mbc and see what happens.
You are probably seeing such a big change due to the new exhaust, however, the colder weather is also helping this along.

In the past, during the colder winter months, I've had to turn my boost controller down as well. This is because the air is more dense, and you make more power because of this (more air in, more HP out). Here's how to fix it. Turn the boost controller down, make a pull in 4th and 5th gear (since this is where you noticed the spike) and keep turning it down until you hit 26 PSI max. Then you should be good to go.

Also, it might be worth waiting to get re-tuned until the warmer weather is here again. Reason being, if the tune is close to the edge during colder weather, it will definitely be over the edge in warmer weather and you will need another re-tune. Just turn the boost down back to the correct PSI and wait until warmer weather.

-Bink
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Also, what gear were the pulls made when you got tuned? If you were tuned at 26 psi in 3rd gear then 4th and 5th gear pulls will have higher boost (for the most part) due to higher load.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
Also, what gear were the pulls made when you got tuned? If you were tuned at 26 psi in 3rd gear then 4th and 5th gear pulls will have higher boost (for the most part) due to higher load.
Tune was in 4th.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by binky
You are probably seeing such a big change due to the new exhaust, however, the colder weather is also helping this along.

In the past, during the colder winter months, I've had to turn my boost controller down as well. This is because the air is more dense, and you make more power because of this (more air in, more HP out). Here's how to fix it. Turn the boost controller down, make a pull in 4th and 5th gear (since this is where you noticed the spike) and keep turning it down until you hit 26 PSI max. Then you should be good to go.

Also, it might be worth waiting to get re-tuned until the warmer weather is here again. Reason being, if the tune is close to the edge during colder weather, it will definitely be over the edge in warmer weather and you will need another re-tune. Just turn the boost down back to the correct PSI and wait until warmer weather.

-Bink
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to adjust the controller tomorrow and make some runs to get it dialed in! Hopefully it's the controller that needs adjusted and I'm not having waste gate issues. I'll report back.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:39 AM

It's definitely the weather. Temps were up today and no problem!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by st_evo
It's definitely the weather. Temps were up today and no problem!
Good to hear!

-Bink
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How old is the tune? Did you get your tune done right after someone else? I got a tune right after they just did another car and they used that persons map for a baseline. However that car was setup for SD. I was getting the same damn problem. Make sure your tune is unique to start. Also i was getting a nasty fuel cut right around 26-28psi on an FP green because of the issue. Not saying it was the case, or they even meant to in my case. But sometimes tuners use other cars for a baseline map and don't check everything to make sure it will work with your supporting mods.