Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Misfire/backfire

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Misfire/backfire

Hey guys, so I've been having a misfire/backfire issue that came out of nowhere and is driving me nuts... First step I changed the plugs and gapped them to .025, with no change. From there myself and a buddy of mine did a compression test with values within ~5psi of each other (I forget the exact values) but looked good. After that we checked both cam sensors, the crank sensor, and TPS with an oscillometer and all showed nice square waves. We checked, and I'm getting a nice spark from the Spoolinup COP through the plugs. I checked timing, and all marks matched up on the cam gears and trigger plate with no play in the trigger plate. We checked the injectors, and cleaned them up with no change. I'm kind of at a loss where to look next, as I'm now starting to think it may just be in the tune? When the car is idling the AFR's are all over the place, and while running the car is pig rich. The misfire happens when free revving in neutral or in gear, but always happens between 3-4,000rpm's but clears up immediately after and pulls hard, just rich. Also, my car is on tuned on speed density. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated as I'm about out of ideas. Perhaps I overlooked something, but at this point I'm just not sure where to look next. Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 06:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Post logs so we can help diagnose.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Post logs so we can help diagnose.
Yeah work has me away from my car for the next few days but I will get some and post up.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Since the car is on speed density I would start by substituting the map sensor with a good known unit. Especially if its a Omni. Very common they go bad.
The following users liked this post:
Turndown (Jul 29, 2017)
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Since the car is on speed density I would start by substituting the map sensor with a good known unit. Especially if its a Omni. Very common they go bad.
I did just replace that with a brand new Omni 4 bar, however, I suppose it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it already crapped out... Thanks for your input
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I was finally able to get a log after a couple "speed bumps", I'll call them, in my build. Anyways, here it is... I'm new to evoscan/ecuflash so bear with me as I'm a bit slow with computers and programs. If anyone sees anything that stands out as a potential cause please let me know
Attached Files
Old Jul 23, 2017, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Turndown
Well, I was finally able to get a log after a couple "speed bumps", I'll call them, in my build. Anyways, here it is... I'm new to evoscan/ecuflash so bear with me as I'm a bit slow with computers and programs. If anyone sees anything that stands out as a potential cause please let me know
Your must add load1B and AFR from your wideband, O2FeedbackTrim, FuelTrimLow, FuelTrimMid and Boost from your Omni 4bar before we have enough information to help.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

I had all of that stuff turned on I'm not sure why it's not displaying the values. My O2 won't be displayed as I have no exhaust on the car yet. I'm trying to get it diagnosed while I wait for Robispec to send my coilovers back which I need so I can bring the car to get the DP made.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a quick video of the tach while I'm in neutral slowly revving into the misfire. You can see the needle drop when it starts to misfire then eventually clears up around ~4,000rpms give or take.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I agree to check your OMNI, those things are way to notorious for going out, even new
The following users liked this post:
Turndown (Jul 29, 2017)
Old Jul 29, 2017, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
I agree to check your OMNI, those things are way to notorious for going out, even new
Yeah I'll do that next, thanks. That would be pretty upsetting if that's the case...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 02:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
No exhaust?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
No exhaust?
At the moment, no, but it did this with exhaust. I'm just trying to diagnose while I wait on Robispec to get my suspension back and the car is on jackstands.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Tested the Omni this morning, and it's working as it should. Waiting to get my base map from Tom to see if that changes anything.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

still no change...

Last edited by Turndown; Nov 24, 2017 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Misfire/backfire