Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Head Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Replacement

Hello, everyone! So as you can see from the title of this I'm thinking about changing my head in the garage vs paying someone to do it. However, I've never done this before and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or things I should look out for when I go to do this. I'm not too terribly worried about taking all of these bolts off and taking off the exhaust/intake manifold, etc. I'm mainly just worried about messing up the timing along with installing the lifters, rockers, and cams. I have a friend who I'm buying the head off of who is doing the whole valve job for me and that is all I'm left with doing. The reasoning behind why I'm changing the head is because the previous head decided it wanted to spit out a spark plug, which took some threads with it. Thank you for any help you can provide!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 01:41 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
This would be a good time to install head studs. Stick with a new OEM head gasket. I would also replace the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, balance shaft belt, balance shaft tensioner pulley, thermostat housing gasket, valve cover gasket, and depending on your budget the water pump too. I would clean the lash adjusters in diesel fuel as per the manual, then bleed them out before re-installation. Make sure the oil inlet on the lash adjusters is facing towards the oil passage in the head. Use assembly lube on the cam lobes and bearing surfaces. I would also advise using a fairly decent, accurate, torque wrench. Follow the factory service manual very closely when doing the install. Watch some videos on youtube about the job as well. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, good luck.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Make your own timing marks.
Straight edge block and new head.
Oem head gasket
Oem timing belt kit
Head studs since your there.
Clean off piston domes to get rid of any carbon build up.
New valve seals and some beehive springs if you got the funds.
Double check head gasket as ive seen it installed upside down.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome thank you both for the response!