Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Issues after being tuned, Twice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Issues after being tuned, Twice

Ok, beginning of the story. I started a build in June 2017,
Fp71hta
GSC s2 cams, spings, and retainers
Ets intercooler piping
850cc injectors
ported and coated exhasut mani and hotside
COP
and a few other misc parts.

The build went smooth and finished it up in early August. I made an appointment with Boostin Performance for September 1st, and trailered my car the six hours to get tuned. Tuning went smooth, Devin and his guys stayed late to get me finished up before the weekend. I took it for a quick drive to get a feel for the new power, loaded it back up and headed home. Got it unloaded the next day, having a blast with the new power, flipped the ac on, and it stalls out. I thought ok, no big deal, start it back up and the same thing happens. Also when i would depress the clutch and let the rpm fall back down to idle, it would drop to 500 or below then bounce back up to idle, nearly stalling out each time. I get a little worried, but wait until Monday to call and check what I can do.

I talk to Cisco, and informs me they need me to send the map back, so they can look it over and make corrections. I place an order to get a tactrix cable in, so I can get this hiccup taken care of. 2 months go by of back and forth emails, phone calls, datalogs, with finally the best option we agree upon is me bringing my car back to Chicago so they can get it in front of them again. My appointment was 8:00 Jan 19, and they get me in and out in about 2 hours. I discussed the ac/defrost idle issue, as well as stalling out when depressing the clutch or coming up to a stop, as well as a new problem that arose driving to Chicago. Intermitently, at 3000 rpm, between 65-70 mph, I can describe it as a slight loss of power, almost like running on 2-3 cyclinders, with afrs spiking to 16.5-17, then back to 13, then 14.7-15. This happens once probably every 5 minutes.

Devin gets my car in and expresses that he has never had an ac idle have such a difficult time before, as he had to set the target ac idle to 1500 and reg idle to 1200. He informed me that he may just be tuning around an issue thinking the ac compressor is creating a higher load on the engine than other cars he has worked with. Unfortunately he was not able to recreate the issue of power loss at the higher speed I did, but he contributed it to the tps sensor, which he looked into with the dipping idle when coming to a stop.

Before I head home this time, I spent about 2 hours around their shop, driving on the interstate, doing everything I knew of to make sure I was in the clear to head home. I get 3 hours away from Chicago and the power loss is back, and it's a whole lot worse. Before they were just spikes, but now they drag on for ten seconds, or until I accelerate. Sometimes the afr spikes, but sometimes it just stays close to 14.7. I truthfully don't know if it's a tune issue or a mechanical issue. At this point and how much time, miles, and money Iv'e spent I don't care. I just need some help. Thanks guys.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Are you tuned on speed density? If so are on running an Omni 4 bar MAP sensor? Those things are known to fail and some of the symptoms you describe are what I went through before.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
ugh other than the cams, you have most the same things i have or want to install on my own evo. How do you like the 71, is it with the FAP cover or OEM.
i always worry about getting the parts in and tuned?

good luck and hope you get it fixed !

what injectors are you running BTW
Old Jan 24, 2018, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Are you tuned on speed density? If so are on running an Omni 4 bar MAP sensor? Those things are known to fail and some of the symptoms you describe are what I went through before.
Still on MAF and still on factory map sensor

Originally Posted by silverevo05
ugh other than the cams, you have most the same things i have or want to install on my own evo. How do you like the 71, is it with the FAP cover or OEM.
i always worry about getting the parts in and tuned?

good luck and hope you get it fixed !

what injectors are you running BTW
The 71 is nice, a good step up from the stock ix. It holds 26 psi no problem and hits the same time as stock. If I were to do it again, I would go even another step up.
I'm using FIC 850s