Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo Falling flat on its face WOT

Old Sep 16, 2018, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Falling flat on its face WOT

Hi All,

i have a problem that i have spent alot of time trying to figuer out but just cannot seem to do so no matter what i do.

The engine combo is 4g64 2.4 high comp with a stock 9 turbo running ported manis and E85. Fuel system is -10 feed from fuel cell in rear and -8 return with FIC 1450 injectors and a Bosch 044. Stock evo ecu Speed Density

the problem

car is not a street car and only ever gets used for roll racing events so far. The first few runs seem to be ok on 24 PSI but as the night goes on and we move to 29 PSI the car runs great up to the 3rd to 4th change which usually happens around 7K RPM as soon i select 4th and go WOT again the car just fall flat on its face i can hold the throttle and it will just keep dropping RPM and feels like the car is just moving by the momentum its gained. There is no warning lights or CEL or any red flags anywhere. once it starts to occur it usually continues to happen any run after that. The AFR are perfect in the mid 11s all the way through to the point the issue occurs which ends up running the AFR gauge lean as ****. we have made sure there are no cuts occuring as it does not feel like a cut more like the engine is dead without the engine dying. A few times i have tried to get out of the throttle and go back on this usually allows the car to pick up again like nothing had happened.

At this point ill go to the fuel pump and cell and they are very warm which could also indicate pump cavitation .the plugs are usually brand new for every event and no signs of miss fire.

i have attached 2 runs in an excel file and the only common factor is right around the time the issue occurs Evoscan will be missing 10 seconds of data which i have highlighted, this missing data only occurs during the time the issue occurs all other log files are perfectly fine.

Any help or guidance in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
EvoFallsFlat.xlsx (28.9 KB, 0 views)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Look at your omni 4 bar readings. My guess is that's starting to fail. GL.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 01:24 PM

The readings are in psi and vacume, can you let me know what cells you are looking at thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 04:00 PM

was digging thorugh my logs from the night and found my AEM failsafe has data of what he AFR and Boost as well as RPM were doing during the time that is missing from evoscan. interesting thing is you can see it fall flat on its face and go to 15 to 1 AFR which could mean pump cavitation or some sort of fuel issue or ECU failure. then i peddle it once or twice and thats where it just picks up on its own and starts to move like nothing had happened.

hopefully this helps in diagnosing the issue.

The failsafe is not connected as a failsafe just as a gauge
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
MissingatafromR1.xlsx (29.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by evl gsr; Sep 17, 2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by evl gsr
The readings are in psi and vacume, can you let me know what cells you are looking at thanks.
Sorry, I don't come on site much lately. I was looking at your column J. Look at how it's responding to your TPS.

Search this Thread