Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Idle increase during driving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idle increase during driving

I have a strange problem with the idle in my car: a lancer evo VIII Eu spec. Basically the idle is set at 850 rpm but in some circumstances it increases up to 2500-3000 rmp. This happen ONLY when I driving using 20-30% of throttle for long period like in highway or in fast street. The idle remains very high (2500-3000 rmp) until I pull some gear.....than the idle returns stable. Summing up: if i drive slow no problem, if i drive fast no problem....if i drive normal the problem can comes up

Additional information:

idle screw is checked

idle stepped motor is checked and tuned (the car sufferes of revving since that it was stock).

No problem is reported by evoscan or engine check light and the afr is always correct.

Have you some ideas of what happen? mechanical problem or ecu problems? Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2018, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Since this has started suddenly without you changing anything in regards to idle settings in the ecu:

I would borrow from someone and replace the idle air control motor and see how things change. My next replace would be the TPS sensor, even if the voltage on either of them is as it should.

Marios