Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

importing and tuning an evo 4

Old Jul 7, 2021, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importing and tuning an evo 4

I'm in the middle of importing an Evo 4 from Japan right now and I am completely new to Japanese cars, AWD cars, and cars with the engine in the front in general.
I've noticed that since the Evo 4 didn't make it to the US or Canada organically there is limited information on it. All the forum posts I've found so far are from the UK and there's not a ton.
Does anyone have any sources for tuning the 4 specifically? I've been looking at getting some Mine's stuff shipped with the car from Japan but since my JDM knowledge is relatively limited I am not sure it is the best option (though I love their livery and I would love to run it... or is that ricey?)
I mostly want to build this car for highway driving since I have a dedicated track car and very few curvy roads where I live, aiming for ~350-400 hp
Any direction would be super appreciated!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm sure you could use an Evo 8 ECU, finding wiring info may be difficult but I'm sure it's been done. That will solve the tuning issues.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikan
I'm in the middle of importing an Evo 4 from Japan right now and I am completely new to Japanese cars, AWD cars, and cars with the engine in the front in general.
I've noticed that since the Evo 4 didn't make it to the US or Canada organically there is limited information on it. All the forum posts I've found so far are from the UK and there's not a ton.
Does anyone have any sources for tuning the 4 specifically? I've been looking at getting some Mine's stuff shipped with the car from Japan but since my JDM knowledge is relatively limited I am not sure it is the best option (though I love their livery and I would love to run it... or is that ricey?)
I mostly want to build this car for highway driving since I have a dedicated track car and very few curvy roads where I live, aiming for ~350-400 hp
Any direction would be super appreciated!
Majority of all engine parts are interchangeable. Same motor from 4-8. Even if you get an Evo 8 ECU or an AEM Infinity you can buy a jumper harness to hook it up directly to your car.