Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1

Old May 16, 2004, 04:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1

ok.. Keep in mind this data was gathered with the UTEC, and calculated using Data Log Lab (using a corrected EVO8 calibration file which is much closer than the original one I made up)

First, this is close to the power that the buschur setup made, but I need to clarify a few things, first, the data is based on all wheel drive losses and my pulls were all made on a strip of road that has a slight incline (its the only safe place to try this repeatedly) However, to put the gains in perspective, the average Evo's HP output can range from 180-225whp bone stock. (I removed a bunch of mods from my car to do this particular map)

Mods:
Buschur Air Filter
Buschur 3" Downpipe
Buschur 3" Cat-Back system (JDM Muffler)
CatCo 3" Slip Fit Catalytic Converter

These mods alone (with boost set to 21psi dropping to 17psi) were good for 261whp and 246 lbft wtq HOWEVER, from 3000-5500 rpm the fueling was a bit LEAN for my comfort getting as lean as 13.2 in some spots.. from 5500 on it goes down to 12.0 or so, then finally a stinky rich 10.2 at redline.

Certainly a major bang for the buck, but the torque curve and hp curve was fairly peaky and seemed to come on strong at about 3500rpm and fall off from there, which is not unexpected and is actually pretty normal.

I did a FUEL ONLY MAP, initially it was rough and had some 'weak spots' that made the car feel weird.. but I was targeting an AFR of 11.5 or so.. At lower RPM's I allowed it to run a little leaner at 12.3, I'm still tuning for that, and it got as rich as 11.2 at high RPM.. But what I did gain was quite a bit of torque at lower RPM (Hence explaining my ability to generate wheelspin during some of these pulls which had to be attempted 2 or 3 times until I was satisfied it was consistent but my actual gains are higher than what they "read") The gains were 279whp and 264wtq (keep in mind this was a slight incline)

But what is key is the curve of the plots.. First thing I noticed was power came on alot earlier and peaked higher earlier.. the gain in power over stock is obviously dramatic, but the gains of tuning the UTEC over not tuning it are notable (18whp and coincidentally 18wtq) Also if you look at the graph, you notice I let off before I hit redline, I suspect HP would have probably kept climbing and peaked a bit higher.

What did I learn? First the buschur components make great power even with no ECU tuning. Second is that Tuning is important to avoid lean spots that could be an issue with aftermarket intakes. Third It takes alot more trial and error than I expected to get a good smooth torque and HP under the curve that feels good at different RPM's and Engine loads (throttlepositions) which is what I was tuning for, and not 'peak hp'. Finally, I will start making minor timing adjustments to try to squeeze a bit more gains out of it.

The Graph shows before tuning and after tuning, modifications are as stated. Certainly stable boost, playing with the timing, and upgraded intercooler and pipes would make more significant additional gains.

Anyone have any 'Timing recommendations' for different RPM points and load points? I have my ideas, but I suspect their unique to my car.

Ok.. see attached MAP and Graph..

Use the MAP for informational purposes.. If you have more or less the same mods I have, you might be able to try it out but watch your knock sensor closely.. I'd like to hear from you folks.
Attached Thumbnails UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1-utec-fuelonly-before-after.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
SW-2-Boost_Fuel_jkm.TXT (12.2 KB, 103 views)
Old May 16, 2004, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Oops.. I actually made a little error in the calculation..

There is a smoothing calculation between points, since I let off on the throttle early, it dragged the curve down where it should have been a little higher.. I replotted the graph with the 'off throttle' points removed..
Attached Thumbnails UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1-utec-fuelonly-before-after.jpg  
Old May 16, 2004, 04:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Notice how the torque falls off because my boost fell off at the same exact rate.. I'll bet you that once I find what is causing it to taper and stabilize it.. it'll be alot stronger.
Old May 16, 2004, 10:53 PM
EvoM Guru

More Power! Made another few runs tonight, similar conditions (65 with 40% humidity) to the last few runs I'd made.. Tweaked my fuel curve a little more.. I'm attaching the HP results, plus the data graph, at lower RPM's I'm getting a boost spike of 22psi, no knock at that range, however that portion of the curve is very lean for my tastes. I also had knock count of 2 "knock incidents" when the factory ecu hit +23 degrees so I know what zone the car wants to be in.

Anyway, 305whp, 259wtq is what I'm getting, again, if I can keep the boost from tapering I can increase the torque at higher RPM so it doesnt fall off as quickly.

A few notable things to point out on the data graph.. MAF frequency is hopping around like a horny rabbit, I'd like to see someone elses MAF curve with a stock airbox. My HP/TQ curve is getting smoother, but I'm actually going to have to start tuning in the 10%-30% load sites.. I'll also have to actually add a bit of fuel again up to about 5750 RPM.. How's that for unusual compared to other Evos..
Attached Thumbnails UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1-pulldata-05-17-04_1.jpg   UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1-powergraph-05-17-04_1.jpg  
Old May 17, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your baseline hp and tq curves start out a lot later than your dyno pull so it's kinda hard to compare lower rpm gains. Power does look good though for the mods.
Old May 17, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am curently trying to decide what route to gowith ems. Either the utec or aem, I know the utec is cheaper and will prolly due jsut fine for my car. Anyway My real question is Was your car leaning out on the stock ecu??? I curently am running the buscher filter and turbo back on my stock ecu. I do not want it leaning out.
Old May 17, 2004, 08:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, I have the Buschur filter, buschur downpipe, buschur cat-back (all 3") and a Catco 3" catalytic converter.. This map will likely work for you, but it will need to be adjusted to your specific car though. Give me a week or so and I'll have a much smoother curve and some timing dialed into it.
Old May 18, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

I dont have the utec yet, but trying to learn about it right now. I"m looking at the two aem and utec. you like the utec so far???

SO I"m guessing my car is running lean right now, because I have the same buschur set up as you but with cat delete pipe.

also what wide band are u running?
Old May 18, 2004, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Running the TurboXS Tuner.. the AEM is the ultimate tuner tool... albeit a bit hard to initially set up.. also keep in mind that you should check your local inspection station to see if they require an OBD-II check.. since the AEM removes it.

Its likely at lower RPM as boost ramps up you are running a little lean.. their S-AFC setup definitely helps things but it became pretty obvious to me when I plotted scatter graphs that the maf frequency was all over the place at the same RPM under different conditions, therefore making tuning more difficult.
Old May 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

IS the utec limited in its capablities? I mean can I run a larger turbo, and cams with it or will it have issues. What about injecotrs?
Old May 18, 2004, 03:34 PM
EvoM Guru

It'll take anything you can throw at it.. I pretty much have everything going into the car that you want to throw at it.. everything I've tried so far worked (I tend to add and remove parts frequently, hence the need for a UTEC over a flash)
Old May 18, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

thats good to hear considering the itec is like 1000 bucks cheaper then the aem.

What wide band are you using?
Old May 18, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

what size injectors are you using?
Old May 18, 2004, 11:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Currently Stock injectors, however I have had a set of 680cc injectors in the car for 2 weeks to run some tests.. Put the stockers back in to get some baseline tuning. Wideband is the TurboXS Tuner (aka Tuna)
Old May 19, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

MJ, could you post, or send me, your map for this stage 1 run? I would like to see what you adjusted and how much. I will be doing some tuning this weekend and this would help. THANKS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UTEC Map Yields 279whp on Buschur Stage 1