EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   General Engine Management / Tuning Forum (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/general-engine-management-tuning-forum-129/)
-   -   Stock ECU to Elite 1500 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/general-engine-management-tuning-forum/754064-stock-ecu-elite-1500-a.html)

xRoguex Apr 21, 2019 06:03 PM

Stock ECU to Elite 1500

So I am almost fully decided on switching to the Elite1500 over the stock ECU - but am curious who all else out there made the switch from the stock ecu to either an elite/infinity/etc and if the drive-ability and smoothness of the car post true ECU change was?

My main reasons for doing it is that I want to run a true flex fuel setup and being native to the Elite(with sensor) just makes sense in putting the money towards a standalone.

In addition the quarkness of the stock ecu is just getting annoying.. Cold/Hot start fluctuations, temp/elevation changes, etc. They all seem to be far more pronounced with a higher HP E85 setup then on my previous setup.

I got to ride in an Elite1500 powered car this weekend.. and it was just so smooth ALL the time.. the AFR's were literally perfect, ALL the time. Etc.

I know stock ecu tunes get you "PRETTY GOOD" but I guess I just want better.

So in short - anyone out there switch from stock ecu to aftermarket - and regret it at all?

MasterNater Apr 21, 2019 11:21 PM

I gave the stock ECU a fair chance. I always heard about how people were so happy with the stock ECU and spending money on a standalone was a waste. Then I switched to an AEM EMS and forgot all about the stock ECU. On speed density, I think the driveability of the stock ECU plain sucks compared to a properly tuned AEM. Just the fact that you can make changes LIVE while the car is running makes a standalone worth it, in my opinion. If you have access to a respectable tuner that knows their way around a Haltech, I don't think you'll regret it one bit. I've heard good things about Evans Tuning in PA.

Fox_IX Apr 22, 2019 01:54 AM

I switched to the Elite 1500 a few years ago, and it's been excellent. The extent to which you can tune the car with it is great, has lots of useful functions, 3-level engine protection, and it's awesome being able to live-tune as opposed to stock ecu. I've had no drivability issues, although transient-throttle was a bit tricky to dial in at first. Drivability issues are all going to come from the tune, so make sure whoever you decide to have tune your car is willing to take the time to do the job right.

Lumpy Sticks Apr 22, 2019 09:33 AM

After fighting with the Tephra mod and factory ecu, I gave up. I made the switch over to an AEM Infinity and couldnt be happier. Its better then the factory ecu in every way. It runs way smoother and gets better gas mileage. Plus I am running on full flex fuel and its awesome. No map switching, no worrying about having full e85 in the tank, just dump in whatever combo you want and the ecu adjust everything automatically.

Make the switch, you wont regret it!

EVO196 Apr 22, 2019 10:34 AM

dam, you guys just messed up my thinking, I was going to jump to aem infinity but had second thoughts w/ deciding fp red or aem, went fp red.....

xRoguex Apr 22, 2019 06:52 PM

It seems like the infinity and the elite line are on the same level.

In either case, I'll have the Elite on or around Friday!

Lazyfong Apr 22, 2019 08:38 PM

Where did you purchase Elite 1500 from and how much was it? How will you pass emission once converted?

So even with Tscompusa experience his tune for drive-ability was not good? Since he says his tune offers stock like or even better drive-ability.

Fox_IX Apr 22, 2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyfong (Post 11869640)
Where did you purchase Elite 1500 from and how much was it? How will you pass emission once converted?

So even with Tscompusa experience his tune for drive-ability was not good? Since he says his tune offers stock like or even better drive-ability.

Elite 1500 is about $1500. I can get a better price for you if you're interested, though, PM me. You will not be able to pass OBD-plugin emissions testing with the Elite 1500. I usually just swap back for emissions testing, swapping ECUs is a matter of minutes.

foxbat Apr 23, 2019 01:21 AM

It's interesting that the Elite 1500 has knock control as a basic feature rather than an add-on option like most aftermarket ECUs! Any feedback about the knock control feature, how effective/programmable is it compared to the stock ECU's? does it work with the stock knock sensor?

staywide8 Apr 23, 2019 06:26 AM

Not to change the talk, but any thoughts on 1500 vs 2500? A couple of well known shops push the 2500 over the 1500 and I can't see why?

xRoguex Apr 23, 2019 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyfong (Post 11869640)

I purchased it from Buschur Racing - Email Nick for it if you are interested. As for emissions, the tune that Tom put on my car will suffice for inspections. I'll just plug the stock ecu in on the floor and cover it with a towel... they want to inspect my car, not clean it for me. ;-) As for the reason for the swap - His tune on the 93, with 1000cc injectors was really good. I ran it for 4-5 years. As for this build, on the e85, it was just not up to my standards, plus I wanted flex fuel capabilities, and theres no sense in spending $500+ towards giving the stock ecu a flex fuel patch, when I can put that money towards a real ECU. Also, I am not a fan of the fuel temp sensor that he likes to use for AIT, and the quarks that come along with it - simply put, its a band-aid, and the other part throttle jitters/low end bucking/stalling just wasn't for me. This will eliminate all of that, and allow me to take full control of the car.

Originally Posted by staywide8 (Post 11869665)
Not to change the talk, but any thoughts on 1500 vs 2500? A couple of well known shops push the 2500 over the 1500 and I can't see why?

There is literally zero reason to get the 2500 over the 1500. Spoke with a tech at Haltech, and unless you have a desire to waste money .. there is zero reason. The only reason shops might push the 2500, is because they get a better price on them as the 2500 can run 4-8cyl, so they can use them in evos, to gtrs, to any V8. There is literally zero other gain beyond injector/ignition control over over 4 cylinders.

jozy Apr 23, 2019 08:47 PM

depends, horses for courses. if you are going higher power levels and obviously running map sensor then yes a standalone would always be better. standalones also gives you more features and protection that you can all customise and not running off ecuflash definitions which you don't even know if they are accurate... live tuning is also very good.

closed loop fuel control with wideband etc.

elite 1500 vs 2500 obviously the 2500 has a lot more features and helping it future proof for bigger power levels. has e-throttle and more injector controls etc.

Construct Apr 23, 2019 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jozy (Post 11869822)
elite 1500 vs 2500 obviously the 2500 has a lot more features and helping it future proof for bigger power levels. has e-throttle and more injector controls etc.

The 1500 and 2500 have the same feature set. The only difference is the number of cylinders and knock sensors supported. The only future proofing you get with a 2500 is if you think you'll move it to a 6 or 8 cylinder car later.

xRoguex Apr 24, 2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jozy (Post 11869822)

Incorrect - there is no difference between 1500 and 2500 for a 4cyl. Please see above, and reference Haltech's website

Originally Posted by Construct (Post 11869825)
The 1500 and 2500 have the same feature set. The only difference is the number of cylinders and knock sensors supported. The only future proofing you get with a 2500 is if you think you'll move it to a 6 or 8 cylinder car later.

Didnt see your post on my phone before responding. :-)

Fox_IX Apr 24, 2019 09:38 PM

May want an Elite 2500 if you want to be future-proof and you want more outputs, as you can reassign the unused ignition outputs to other things. With that said the same can be achieved with a $400 IO Expander unit. I'd wager 99% of Evo owners would be happy with the 1500.