Notices

rear diff clutch packs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 01:34 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Well you have tire manufacturers playing games with treadwear ratings, lots of coilovers with terrible damping, and tons of biased reviews from people who only sing the praises of whatever part they just spent their $ on.

TRE does good work. But their rear diff makes a lot of noise. I wonder how all the other high performance cars manage to make their rear diffs quiet. Think a Porsche owner would tolerate their car banging around the parking lot?

Hell even high hp Mustangs manage to put power down quietly.
Everone knows yet those guys still put the parts on street cars and wonder why they handle worse, make noise, etc.
The best is when you warn them before hand, to help them save their hard-earned money, then they all hate on you for not being on the bandwagon. Or maybe that's just my area LOL.
Also, it's kinda hard to compare Porsche, Ford, or any other manufacturer's rear diff to ours.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
IIRC, the Ford Mustang also used to install clutch packs "backwards"/"disabled" for quiet use. Not sure if that still holds. Most of those cars have some kind of active control now, but in the past, yes, easy to disable clutch packs for less chatter. Each company on their own can decide how aggressive they want their diff to behave.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
My TRE 12 plate makes less noise than my restacked OEM lsd did. Stil lhas the occasional pop/bang, but not as bad as the restacked stock plates/

Mustangs have a different kind of rear diff. They don't use the 1 way style clutch pack diff (where the cross shaft pin rides up a ramp and applies pressure to the clutch plates). They either have a clutch pack diff that has preload set with a spring, or a torsen style diff. Porsche's also use a torsen style diff..

When TRE talks about setting it up for daily driving, they're talking about making it survive. Not make the clutch LSD quiet so your GF doesn't complain. The MAXlock upgrade is an option, and it is most definitely a racing upgrade. If you're just daily driving the car, you shouldn't need an upgraded rear diff...