Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

white smoke issue?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white smoke issue?

I have recently been blowing white smoke, not blueish.... I have also recently all of the sudden had the engine throw a running too rich code and my air fuel meter shows running rich at 4k rpm up, so i replaced the o2 sensor, and nothing..and no other codes...Im stumped...It's only after I drive around and the car warms up and usually I only see it on deceleration ? So cant be valve seals because that would happen when it starts up...I have nothing in my oil..My compression is 190 across all 4 cylinders. My coolant seems to be same level...Only thing I can think of is I have a boost leak maybe at the injectors? and when air gets into the fuel I heard it can create white smoke...idk to believe that or not or even how thats possible lol... I replaced the pcv valve few months ago Im going to do it again, and pressure test my car next week... I dont know what it can be, and the downpipe has no oil in it and the turbo is fairly new and only boosting 8 9 10 is not pushing a t3... Any suggestions Ill take guys

Also, is it better to have the lil air filter breather on the valve cover or connect it to the intake pipe? on turbo car Thanks and sorry for the long *** paragraph lol
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:56 AM

Come on, know one can offer any ideas...I've read and read, but can a spark plug be bad even if looking normal? Um.... Tested my FPR, break booster line for possible induction of brake fluid.... Intake manifold gasket? Except there is again nothing in the oil, and no apparant sign of air leak there....Injector leak? Then again no apparant sign, I'm going to use the scan tool today to check the stft and ltft to see variations to determine if vacuum or injector leak....????Ideas
I believe im smelling fuel in the exhaust strongly, but no black smoke...just white?
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

your head could be cracked. and it could be loosing oil or water most likely water going to the engine. if you blow white smoke and turbo it could be mean turbo failure. there isn't anything else i could think of sorry..
Old Aug 9, 2008, 03:04 PM

yea but wouldnt I overheat? have poor performance? or have stuff in the oil or coolant fluid?....I have non of these symptoms grrr lol
Old Aug 9, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

do an oil change and make sure your not leaking oil on your header or something white smoke out the exhaust could mean a blown head gasket too and i would change the plugs too

Last edited by yellance; Aug 9, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

A seal in the turbo might be bad causing the oil to leak through to the exhaust. My buddies turbod lancer sometimes blows white smoke a little but it's only on start up and after idling for a while. But I think that's just from the oil sitting in the turbo. You might want to get a rebuild kit for the turbo if it has a lot ofmiles on it.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 08:44 PM

My turbo is like 3 months old, today i did new plugs again, oil / filter change, pcv valve change checked all vacuum lines checked tb gasket, reset piggy... let idle for while which when i start and idle theres nothing , but when i go into boost and after boost the DECELERATION is when it comes out , whether i rev or actually have it under load.......the smoke is white though not blue, i've had that problem before lol....and i have full power, and only code i get is 02 sensor heater circuit malfuntion on bank 1 which has been there way before this started happening...and i just changed the 02 sensor also....so i dnt know....damn
Old Aug 9, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Could be a fubared head gasket.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:38 PM

which is?.....what are the other syptoms ?
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

A blown head gasket. You could be leaking coolant into the motor thus causing it to burn and be blown out the exhaust. Hopefully it's just the head gasket and not a cracked head.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

The o2 circuit condition is the same thing I got once. After I rewired my second o2 sensor, I floored it from a stop light and when I hit redline the CEL came on. It went back off later that afternoon though.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:34 PM

ok yea that 02 code always throws, and i researched and its just to prewarm the sensor when its called or something stupid, so i was like forget it lol, and ok if its a blown headgasket wouldnt that cause loss of coolant, overheating due from that eventually, or coolant/water in the oil? I have non of that....so i dont want to rip apart the head to find out its not that.....I think im going to take apart the turbo, and go replacing that first, the cheaper route, and see if thats it...idk
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:24 PM

Okay so today, I threw a restrictor on the turbo, tiny...and started it up and let it run, then took it for a ten or 15 minute drive because I do not want to drive it too much, also made sure coolant reserve was full mark, drove around and it didnt smoke as bad at all, still had some smoke though around boost on deceleration...so I'm assuming its the turbo because when I got home the coolant tank hadn't moved levels and it should of w the smoke coming out.....assuming it was a headgasket or cracked block...right? If enough is was leaking through the gasket to make the car smoke like that then it'd be a lot...and since the restrictor the smoke lessened noticeably, I'm going to try a new turbo , but cheap one just to make sure.....any other thoughts?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Is the turbo water/coolant cooled? I wouldn't waste your time buying a cheap turbo, even if you get one for 5$, if the turbo is blown you've basically wasted that 5$ since you'll have to buy a new turbo anyways.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:37 PM

turbos only oil cooled, and another weird thing, ever since the smoke started like 2 weeks ago, the engine runs ridiculously rich over 4k rpm anywhere into boost, especially when im at like 0 or 1 barely starting but if I hold that 1 into 4k rpm its so rich the engine will bog down, so I replaced the o2 sensor right, well today I plugged im my laptop and set the piggy map back to all 10's to see what the dif would be, and normally I'd see it, today no difference at all, can the rrm piggy go bad? lol this sucks

Quick Reply: white smoke issue?