Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Domolution
^^ Okay, hope not......i just see SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many threads about evo builds, my gawd......it makes me wonder what these ****3rs are doing and what is this world coming to!?!?! \:
People are finally getting their acts together and boosting, that's what's happening
Old May 2, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good work keep it up

i have that rtard on my ignore list..mods should ban him since he constantly trolls in here
Old May 2, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ya thats why I decided to go with the used evo parts direct bolt up for alot of things, I dont like cutting stuff lol. I cannot begin to afford a rrm kit although that would be awesome. So far its looking like I can realistically get everything on my list for under $1500 I know my stock head gasket is fine, my car has 81k on it right now and zero engine mods. Got a line on a nice turbo with o2 housing for $300 with zero shaft play, does this sound about right?
Old May 3, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ThunderOZ
I wouldn't really worry about the 10.5 hotside, it's not going to benefit you much at low boost.

Luckily, our lancers and the evos are on the same chassis for the most part, so a lot bolts on easily. The intercooler bolts up, but you have to remove the crash bar. The intercooler pipes all fit well, although with certain ones you may need to cut a bracket.

My 16g spools pretty much instantly and I love it. If you are going to mess with the head gasket, I would just get a new stock head gasket and some arp head studs.

Yes you will need an O2 housing, O2 dump, or some custom downpipe to mate to the turbo for the exhaust...
Truth be told, ANY Lancer going turbo should be running ARP head studs.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by senate6268
Truth be told, ANY Lancer going turbo should be running ARP head studs.
yep.. but for some reason @ 15psi.. it took many many pulls befor ei lifted the head.. but i also bent a rod in the process of all that on a crappy tune.. so.. decomp gasket + arp head studs.. and i still firmly belive 10-12psi is safe on our motors with basic upgrades..
(headstuds and decomp gasket are EASY upgrades,, only tools you need are a 10/12 and 14mm socket wrech and trq wrench to do it!)
Old May 4, 2009, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Luckily I am a mechanic on the side so I can do pretty much everything and have all the tools to do it but since I have never done a turbo setup before definately gonna employ the help of some knowledgable friends of mine. So what I am gathering so far is that I should be able to easily run 10psi reliable daily with my list of stuff, (injectors, fuel pump, safc head gasket etc.) Also that the 05 evo 8 came with a 10.5 hotside factory although not really concerned with this. Hopefully some of my pms will be returned soon about some parts. I think you posted A pic of your rod on here demon I remember taking a pic of it on my phone and showing people that 15psi is definately not my friend lol.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

It really isn't. About a half a day to a day in labor and less than $1500 to double your cars hp... I think it is worth it.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
Well I just always thought that lower compression engines work best for turbo but if I can do it without a shim and still make around 200whp reliable for daily use thats all good too!!
Yes, lower compression is typically easier to tune with a turbo, but what I meant was, I don't like the idea of using a shim to do it. I think using lower compresion pistons designed for forced indcution would be better, but when that isn't an option due to expense, people use thicker gaskets. Honda guys especially since a lot of their motors are high compression and tuned for N/A. A Lancer motor is tuned more for economy and won't have a super high compression so its not as critical with the stock components I don't think. But going over 8psi I think is getting dicey. IT would need to be tuned really well.
Old May 4, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ok ya pretty sure my engine runs 10.5:1 compression stock but please correct me if I am wrong. Ya your right GPTourer, running low comp pistons really is the righ way to do it but since I am not going to be boosting alot I figure a thicker head gasket is a good way to drop it just a bit. I also dont think it is too much work evogirl plus as a nissan buddy asked me why I dont just buy an evo, first my car is paid for!!! lol second I want to go through the experience of my first boost job I love to learn new things and I have already learned a ton and havent even popped my hood!!! lol Everytime I do something else to my car or something else I like the satifaction of knowing I did it, that and my wallet thanks me too. Plus I get tired of these little hondas running around my little town blastin there exhaust I wanna pull up and just waste them, not my a little but by alot hehe.
Old May 5, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I have another question for you guys. How do you deal with the traction issues? Is there an LSD tranny you can get for these? different suspension? I know right now even if its a little wet out I can punch it in first without dumping the clutch or anything and spin em no problem and spin a little in second so I would imagine it would be waayyy worse after my turbo setup.
Old May 5, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suppose you can get a Phantom Grip to fit just about any manual transmission, but I've never used one. TRE offers rebuild services for the Lancer transmission, might contact them and see if they can install one. Quaife doesn't offer one yet according to their site.

Good tires, new struts, front and rear motor mounts, strut bar, underbrace, are other ways that can help traction.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Stock 4G94 compression ratio is 9.5:1, not 10.5:1. Traction can be achieved with solid motor mounts, sticky tires and a good suspension.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well what do ya know your right senate6268 thank you for correcting me on that. So I guess with the 150mm head gasket as it claims to drop compression average 1. Having an 8.5:1 ratio wouldnt be too bad?? and the iron block helps alot for strength there too. Well I ordered my first part for my kit, found a very low mileage 16g off a evo 8 through this wonderful site for alot better price than I could have hoped for.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got mine for 275 with everything on it and 10k and no shaft play!!!

i started mine last night, just had issues with leaking gas that i should resolve today, ( i got new o rings for the wrx injectors) (stock lancer ones) 4 dollars
should solve me. sounds good tooo and i think is going to be amazing once i get it off the lift
Old May 6, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ya I have been watching your thread zulu989 nice build so far and love the car man very nice. Mine has 13k on it no shaft play and everything but the oil return line for $200 shipped I was very happy with that. Lemme know what kind power your looking at when you get it tuned so I can have an idea of what I should be looking to get.

Quick Reply: Yet another thread about Turboing a 03 lancer.