Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Question about a boost leak

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about a boost leak

I've got my tester hooked up to the throttle body, and about 5psi to it. The "Emission vacuum controller valve" seems to be leaking. For reference, it's this device: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Also, in the manual posted for our cars by senate, it's on page 13Aa-4 called the Vacuum Control Valve. Anyone else have some pressure leaking from it, or does this mean mine may be bad?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

you should be attatching the tester to the inlet on the turbo, not the TB

all your intercooler piping couplers could be leaking and you arent testing those that way
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Si, Si. I tested them, and they are all nice and tight, but I can hear air hissing around the intake, so I just skipped the intercooler piping and moved up closer. I've narrowed it to the EGR vacuum control valve, but it's so noisy I can't cover it up to hear for any others...which is why I think it may be my problem. Just wondering if anyone else's also hisses, or if you can pressurize your intake from the turbo, and have it hold pressure for 30 seconds or so at like 5psi...because mine wont. It leaks out too quickly to actually hold like 5 psi.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 5, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

check the vacuum lines that are attatched to the EGR and the IAC valve seal as well. spray some soapy water with a mister on your TB shaft its probably leaking there.

then put your IC pipes back on and RE-DO your full leak test, cause you took it apart and could have leaks again on install.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

I was just runnin around the car, and I used some vacuum hose as a stethoscope, in addition to some soapy water. The only vacuum leak I can find is around the valve thing i mentioned earlier, but I may have found an exhaust leak where the header bolts to the turbo. I tightened them bolts down, but it's so hard to see if there's a leak for sure. I'm going to go for a drive and see if I see any problems now. No exhaust leaks on the downpipe I don't think.

Just FYI the problems I was having was 2 check engine codes P0134 and P0170 I think, which were "system too lean" and "no 02 activity from the front o2 sensor". The behavior I was seeing is instead of oscillation at idle or cruise between 14.5 and 15 AFR, at random intervals I will see 11 AFR or slightly lower, even though my evoscan is telling me I'm not in open loop. I hope it's a tuning problem, so I'm going to go back one ROM, and see if the issue persists (if it doesn't disappear on my drive in a moment). The only things I changed were that I copied my low octane map over into my high octane map, no timing changes or anything else. The times I see the odd behavior are during closed loop, so I don't think fuel changes should dramatically affect this, but...it will be my next step. Oh, I also did a 10 psi boost leak test right before I started seeing the CEL's and my idle problems. I don't want to buy one of those valves, cause they are 40 bucks, but if neither of my first 2 options hold up, I'll order one.

Thank you for the soapy water suggestion brenner

Edit* Well, 30 minute drive, and I didn't see any of the "odd" idle/cruise behavior. I will give it a couple more drives before I celebrate, lol, but I do feel a bit better.

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 5, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Good news!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Very good news. Still no check engine lights today, adjusted MAF scaling as well, which seems to be required on a newly boosted lancer....and I was out running 70% throttle or so pulls, with boost topping out at 5psi, while in the general vicinity of 11-12.5 AFR, although much fluctuation since I ajusted so much in my fuel table before I hit rock bottom and had to up MAF scaling. Still one step at a time, don't want to change too much, but I dare say it was the exhaust leak causing some of the problems and I hope it's good and gone!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Very good news. Still no check engine lights today, adjusted MAF scaling as well, which seems to be required on a newly boosted lancer....and I was out running 70% throttle or so pulls, with boost topping out at 5psi, while in the general vicinity of 11-12.5 AFR, although much fluctuation since I ajusted so much in my fuel table before I hit rock bottom and had to up MAF scaling. Still one step at a time, don't want to change too much, but I dare say it was the exhaust leak causing some of the problems and I hope it's good and gone!
Good to hear the good news! Im having an odd problem, instead of fuel getting more rich when in open loop, its getting more lean, but evoscan tells me in open loop my AFR's drop and get richer, however wideband tells me in open loop the actual AFR are getting very lean, from 15.2-18+ up to 5 PSI wich is giving me lots o knock up to 8 counts, is there anything in ECUflash that i could have messed up and reversed something somehow?? Just seems so weird! Sorry i didnt mean to hi-jack your thread haha, i still need to boost- leak test my car as well, i think i actually might be leaking from the same valve as you because i also have developed a p0455 (evap gross leak detected) so thats next!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same issue. What seems to happen is 2 different things.

1. is that the Lancer isn't meant to handle boost, so the MAF and MAF scalings being used are very "not right" for use by a turbo. They need to scale up as they hit 400hz or so, there's a thread about it called "lean in boost".

2. The AFR values in the fuel MAP go down to 10, and then the AFRMAP logged by evoscan never go below that, even though the ecuflash software lets you put less than 10 in.

So, from what I know your solutions are either adjust MAF scaling, or get an EVO Maf. Which ROM do you run again, I'm still confused about it. I'm going to PM you my email addy, if you wouldn't mind just sending me yours. I keep calling it a Hybrid, but I don't know much about it since I never checked it out.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same issue. What seems to happen is 2 different things.

1. is that the Lancer isn't meant to handle boost, so the MAF and MAF scalings being used are very "not right" for use by a turbo. They need to scale up as they hit 400hz or so, there's a thread about it called "lean in boost".

2. The AFR values in the fuel MAP go down to 10, and then the AFRMAP logged by evoscan never go below that, even though the ecuflash software lets you put less than 10 in.

So, from what I know your solutions are either adjust MAF scaling, or get an EVO Maf. Which ROM do you run again, I'm still confused about it. I'm going to PM you my email addy, if you wouldn't mind just sending me yours. I keep calling it a Hybrid, but I don't know much about it since I never checked it out.
PM'd and e-mail sent! I thought with the ROM im using now, MAF scaling and compensation tables are suppost to be adjusted already for boost? I thought thats what i read in the "evo rom to lancer ecu" thread? But take a look anyways LMK what you find!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

It looks like you've got the same MAF scaling as the stock lancer ROM. That makes sense, since the MAF and scaling with our cars is expecting to see non-boosted air. I think that there is some sort of formula to use on our scaling to create the boosted alternative for MAF scaling, but I haven't discovered it yet. I am working on it now, and may be able to share it soon.

With an Evo MAF, I think the scaling it has set works much better in metering boosted air. If you check the thread on "MAF swap for lancer" or whatever, there are pictures of pretty much each mitsubishi MAF, and when you compare them you can see how the boost air flow metering might work. Still, People have beat around the bush on adjusting it in that thread I mentioned about "lean on boost" but I don't know if it would be different for someone at 5psi vs someone at 10psi...although I assume it would. At the very least, the airflow in Hz would be probably like 1200 or something, because at 5psi I only see 800hz of air.

Log some of yours with "airflow" and let me know what you hit, and then if you're lean or rich at that point.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you at 12 psi I am hitting about 1150hz of airflow. I have my maf and scaling setup as the stock 03 evo. I figure since I am running complete stock evo intake setup that my best and closest would have to be all stock evo settings and I was right. I spent months and months trying to figure out my maf scaling and sadly I think I just kept getting further away from the optimum setting until I went back to the evo.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

LOL, well I do have an EVO Maf on order, so that will probably simplify things. But, until then I'm having fun with MAF scaling. I got a lot closer this afternoon, but was still lean in the 4-500 range. I increased it just a bit, and will test a bit more after the celtic festival.

As far as Mitsukid though, I think his options are to either scale the MAF or to buy a 399 (or something similar) MAF, right? The alternative question is, can we just use the scaling of the evo MAF with the regular ol lancer MAF? I sort of compared, and I think 500 on up might be similar, but 300-500 would be somewhat scaled. I'm still toying with it though, and will let you know I have this evening. I don't see any reason to mess with the maf size or whatever, which is mentioned in the thread about "lean on boost"

Last edited by HornstarBU; Nov 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He will definately have to scale the maf is he is running stock lancer scaling still. Only way to know how the evo scaling with the lancer maf would go is to test it, its easy enough to flash back the previous one. I agree I would not mess with any other maf setting but the scaling.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

LOL, well I do have an EVO Maf on order, so that will probably simplify things. But, until then I'm having fun with MAF scaling. I got a lot closer this afternoon, but was still lean in the 4-500 range. I increased it just a bit, and will test a bit more after the celtic festival.

As far as Mitsukid though, I think his options are to either scale the MAF or to buy a 399 (or something similar) MAF, right? The alternative question is, can we just use the scaling of the evo MAF with the regular ol lancer MAF? I sort of compared, and I think 500 on up might be similar, but 300-500 would be somewhat scaled. I'm still toying with it though, and will let you know I have this evening. I don't see any reason to mess with the maf size or whatever, which is mentioned in the thread about "lean on boost"
At 3,750 RPM at about 5 PSI and only 52% TPS, im seeing 1,018 HZ @ 130.8 load reading in evoscan, do these high HZ readings mean the car is going lean, is this the problem im having???

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 7, 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about a boost leak