Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Help me with my turbo install thx k bye (2002 OZ Rally)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me with my turbo install thx k bye (2002 OZ Rally)

This wont be a weekend project. It will be a couple months. I hope.

As far as right now I have a separate engine with 50k miles on it that i plan on putting the turbo on and then swap the engine in there. I have almost all parts....I think. I'll put up a list later. I have done lots of reading in this forum and am learning a lot but I am not 100% positive on some things. Here is my first of many questions to come.

I need an oil return line. Will this work? Is it ok to buy ebay quality oil returns? I know i don't need 17 inches so can I just cut the line?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-BR...1V26GR&vxp=mtr
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
to cut it, you would want to tape it very tightly with electrical tape, and cut it. problem is, short of a proper steel braided hose cutter, you would want some interesting cutting tools for a perfect fit...if the cut hose end frays AT ALL, you will have a very hard time getting the -AN fittings on the end...the last thing you want on a turbo set up is for your oil feed, or oil return to fail, or become obstructed. that being said, it doesn't need to be that fancy, the scavenge side of the turbo's oil system is not pressurized, so you really just need a fluid seal, so barb fittings and hose clamps Which you can buy before various turbos will work, but you will want at least a -10 size hose, which is half inch inside diameter...this way you can cut with whatever you have around...I used a hacksaw, use fine tooth blades. You also want to make sure the fittings you get, fit your turbo...if you don't have a turbo in-hand, don't buy oil lines.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 02:12 PM

I have this here. Does this get tapped/welded to the oil pan? I don't see how it connects to the turbo with out a hose.

Name:  WP_20160607_004_zpsbhl8yq3t.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  119.8 KB

I have a turbocharger. Has an oil feed line already that fits right up to an oil sandwich adapter for the oil filter.
Name:  WP_20160615_001_zps849rygwe.jpg
Size:  142.6 KB
Old Jun 16, 2016, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

you can't weld brass to steel, and obviously you will need a hose, and a fitting on each end...the bottom of the turbo center section will have the return port on it, you need to find what fitting you need for it.

you could possibly braze that fitting onto the pan. Tapping the pan would be sketchy as you would not have much thread engagement...

what kind of turbo is that? stock Evo 8-9 twin scroll?

I also read your first post again, and you don't want to install the turbo on the engine before dropping it in the car, you'll want as little as possible on it...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you can't weld brass to steel, and obviously you will need a hose, and a fitting on each end...the bottom of the turbo center section will have the return port on it, you need to find what fitting you need for it.

you could possibly braze that fitting onto the pan. Tapping the pan would be sketchy as you would not have much thread engagement...

what kind of turbo is that? stock Evo 8-9 twin scroll?

I also read your first post again, and you don't want to install the turbo on the engine before dropping it in the car, you'll want as little as possible on it...
I'l have to correct you on that...i built my engine and had the transmission attached and it was really easy to fit in the engine bay....just make sure the passenger side fan on the radiator is in front of the rad and not behind to have some space and not melt the fan!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marcouxa1
I'l have to correct you on that...i built my engine and had the transmission attached and it was really easy to fit in the engine bay....just make sure the passenger side fan on the radiator is in front of the rad and not behind to have some space and not melt the fan!
not sure what you're correcting me on, I said turbo, not transmission...do it how you want, but it doesn't take much to remove the rad, if you have the engine out any way...zero chance of damaging it, and lots of arm room to bolt up engine and tranny mounts...do what you want, i'm just trying to make life easier...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 03:11 PM

My PC was destroyed last week by liquid being spilled on it. so i havent been on here till now. Idk how to upload pics from my phone so hopefully i will get a new one soon. Especially since i will need to tune.

My buddy came over and i decided to install the turbo kit on my car as it is now with almost 180000 miles on it. Then maybe this fall/winter ill swap the engine and maybe ill have a newer transmission by then too.

Turbo setup
16g evo 8 turbo
Evo 8 intercooler/mishimoto (have both)
Wrx 440
Evo maf
Big bore fuel rail
Speed corps header
Forge wastegate
GReddy bov or evo 9 (have both)
Intercooler piping
Manual Boost control
MAP 4 bar (guessing this is for speed density tuning)
Need to get fuel pump

Removed all ac stuff. Lines, compressor, thing infront of radiator.
Removed power steering also. Just connected the feed and return together.
Mounted header and turbo to engine.
Removed battery. Will relocate to trunk later.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

why'd you remove power steering? it comes in handy when parking at the mall...lol

make a photobucket account, or Instagram or something...whatever is cool these days, and just link the image using the forum tags.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 05:33 PM

Mainly removed power steering because i dont like how it looks in the engine bay.
Name:  20160625_211203_zpsvzd1edxr.jpg
Size:  229.3 KB
Pic of Power steering lines conected together. Name:  20160620_202644_zpsnfqpsqsp.jpg
Size:  240.3 KB
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Looking good man let us know if u ever need help with something
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

y leave the hoses then, that looks worse...intercooler and piping looks like it fits well, can we get a shot of how the turbo fits?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 02:18 PM

I think it looks much better now. It was easier to do it there.

What is this thing i have circled. Name:  2016-06-28_15.57.03_zpsutjysncu.jpg
Size:  234.7 KB

Here is a pic of the turbo i bought. It was from somone that had it on there lancer. Stock evo 8 turbo. Already been grinded down. Name:  WP_20160607_002_zpsfxz6nul8_edit_1467148456037_zpsvpows635.jpg
Size:  253.8 KB

Didnt get a pic of it right after the header was bolted in but here is one right before.Name:  20160620_202630_zps712cacq3.jpg
Size:  258.7 KB
Old Jul 9, 2016, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it looks great man i am planning on doing the exact same thing with mine! do you still have parts laying around?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

the thing you circled is the cruise control vacuum pump...
The following users liked this post:
Sam Barder (Aug 4, 2016)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
the thing you circled is the cruise control vacuum pump...
+1 for the cruise control
The following users liked this post:
Sam Barder (Aug 4, 2016)

Quick Reply: Help me with my turbo install thx k bye (2002 OZ Rally)