Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Protection fault on my Amp.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Protection fault on my Amp.

If my amp has 2 20 amp fuses in it the fuse near the battery can't be greater then 40 amps right or am I way off? Reason why is because I'm running a 60 amp fuse at the battery. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting a protection fault on my amp. Everytime the head unit powers up the speakers make a crack sound and then their silent. I'm thinking the 60 amp fuse is the culprit, but you guys might know better an have some ideas.

I attached an daigram of how the wiring is set up. The Speaker wire doesn't go all the way to the head unit cause I had the factory Amp and Sub installed previously so I used the amp bypass kit to hook my speakers to the amp.

I forgot to put the wire gauge for power and ground, because I was sort of thinking that might be it too. The power is 4 gauge and the ground is 8.

Thanks

PS Sorry about the MSpaint...
Attached Thumbnails Protection fault on my Amp.-amp-diag.jpg  

Last edited by virtex; Jun 12, 2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

ok first things first, the ground needs to be at least the same size as the power wire. Make sure that when you attach the ground to the chassis that you sand off any paint so that the ground is touching shiny metal, you can then paint back over it to prevent rust. the next step will be to power the system back up and see if the same trouble persists, if so you should unkook the outputs from the amplifier ( the wires going to the speakers) and turn the system back on and see if the amplifier still faults. if it does then you will then proceed to disconnecting the preamp inputs and repowering to check for the fault. If the amp does not fault after disconnecting the outputs this means that you have a short in the speaker wires or in the speaker. if the fault still persists while the preamp inputs and the speaker outputs are disconnected then you have a bad amplifier.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

The problem sounds like a grounding issue. Use diamonds advice...but the wire gauge differences wouldn't create that problem. But the use of 8 gauge for the power and ground would be fine for a 40 amp amplifier. The in-line fuse issue...well, 40 amp would be recommended; but I've ran larger in-line fuses than the amp before with no issues. Good luck with the troubleshooting.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

the in line fuse can and should be a little higher than the fuse rating on the amplifier, the primary function of the fuse under the hood is to prevent a short should the vehicle be involved in an accident and the power wire get pinched or somehow touch ground. This will simply prevent the battery from exploding. let me know how the trouble shooting goes.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

1. Ok unhooked all speaker wires, turned car on. Yipee power light on.

2. Hooked 1 colored pair up to 1 channel turned car on. Yipee power light on. No sound ?!?

3. Unhooked pair, and proceeded to check all colors separately (sp?) with the same results as above?

So now I think its down to miss wiring that Green - Green/Black may not be Left Rear Speaker, but Left Rear speaker might be something like Green-White. I don't know at this point I'm totally lost. I thought I was getting a short cut using that bypass harness.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

ok what kind of vehicle is this? green white? get me specifics and an email address and I will hook you up!
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

'05 Evo VIII
The colored wires coming from the wire harness that I'm using. See I got this harness that was to by pass the pre-installed factory amplipher but then I was like wait I have a genius idea these wires will reach the trunk and they already plugged into the speakers themselves, why don't I just plug them in to the 4 channel amp I got now use that to power the speakers so that I have everything set up to make life easier once I start upgrading my cars sound system.

I don't know made sence at the time.

I have a Kenwood deck and a Pyramid PB1881X Amlifier (I know ****ty but thats what I had laying around right now)

My email address is lordvirtex@gmail.com

Last edited by virtex; Jun 12, 2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

I sent you all the information I have on the system at hand, hopefully it will help!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks bro, thats going to be a big help.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

any time. Yell at us when you need anything www.crutchfield.com