Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rubber gromet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i first did my system i ran a 4 gauge wire through the fender but didnt go through the grommet but just into the car and under the carpet.... after a couple friends told me how cheap it looked...i went throught the firewall....jst feed the wire into the passenger side and take the glove compartment out>theres a little piece that pops out on the left so u can take the glove box out....it took me a while to get the wire but after u do jst run it down the side under the dash and under the carpet 2 the trunk...and done! nice clean wire install...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

here are a couple of pics...the first is the hole through the firewall from the engine bay and the second is where it exits...u cant see any of the wires unless u remove the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails Rubber gromet-hole-firewall.jpg   Rubber gromet-wires.jpg  
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
i, of course, have a fuse between the battery and the fender. i just want to know if i can disconnect all the wires that run through the rubber grommet, put a grommet thats not all ****3d up back in there and feed the wires in again, why is it so hard for people to answer this question
Yes...remove the old grommet and replace it (trip to the dealer), then re-run the wiring through the firewall (drill a hole and use a small rubber grommet), or run it through the existing wiring grommet behind the glovebox as ^ has already mentioned. Running the wire through the firewall (or existing wire boot), will be much safer, and should eliminate your in-car-flooding problem.

Last edited by jtralliart; Oct 17, 2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 08:38 PM

ThunderOZ,

Is your car by chance still under warranty because it doesn't look like you've had the cabin air filter installed.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jtralliart
ThunderOZ,

Is your car by chance still under warranty because it doesn't look like you've had the cabin air filter installed.
yea my car's still underwarrenty and i dont think ive done anything to void it....cabin air filter> do i need 2 go to the dealership for that or sumthin?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
About a year or so ago i installed 2 10 inch subs in the tunk. i ran a 4 guage wire from the battery, through the fender, and through the rubber grommet down by the drivers foot. at the time i couldnt get the wire to go through so i popped out the grommet and fished the wire in that way. well a few weeks ago it rained really bad down here, palm beach fl, and i got tons of water through there into my floorboard. i asked the guy if he oculd repair it, assuming he would just cut the wire, it'd be easiest, but no, i looked under and he snipped off the part so i slides on the side
it still hasn't fixed the problem so i was wondering if i could buy a new grommet and if it was at all possible to take the wires out of the grommet and put the stock wires back through? any help is greatly appreciated

lunchb0x
Why dont you take the same grommet, cut a slit in it from one side to the middle only, and then slip it back over the wire and in the hole. That way its on and you dont have to do all that rewiring...
Itll work perfectly, Ive done it before in another case.

Marcos M. Duarte
Old Nov 4, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
yea my car's still underwarrenty and i dont think ive done anything to void it....cabin air filter> do i need 2 go to the dealership for that or sumthin?
You don't necessarily have to...It just helps to filter out the dust that may come through your air vents. Go to the dealer and ask about it...I believe it's a TSB, and they will install one for you.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jtralliart
You don't necessarily have to...It just helps to filter out the dust that may come through your air vents. Go to the dealer and ask about it...I believe it's a TSB, and they will install one for you.
ok...actually i found out tht some air from my engine bay is comin in through that hole and out under the glove box...illl check into it...
Old Nov 5, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Why dont you take the same grommet, cut a slit in it from one side to the middle only, and then slip it back over the wire and in the hole. That way its on and you dont have to do all that rewiring...
Itll work perfectly, Ive done it before in another case.

Marcos M. Duarte
ive done that, its just that it seems not to help, i actually cut a notch out not a slit but same dif. the wire fills it up but if i get it to wet down there it seems to slip on through, i mean, it is water