Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

What First? Alarm or upgrade stereo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What First? Alarm or upgrade stereo?

I'm trying to decide...the alarm is precautionary, the stereo is instant gratification. But, the appearance of a removed faceplate might make people wonder what else might be inside.

I'm not talking about anything crazy, just a nice sub-$200 head unit and then replace the front/rear speakers with some decent 6.5's, maybe do an Infinity Basslink in the trunk at some point, but nothing outrageous.

What would you do first?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

welp...i too live in tx...i go between killeen an San Antonio (home and school) every now and then and just based on my experiences with friends cars...i'd go alarm first. Might as well protect an investment eh? It would make a longer wait but in the end you'll know that it will be safe. mah .02
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
alarm...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Yah i vote alarm man, i made the mistake of getting the head unit first and in return got broken into and ****'s f'ed up my dash,but now i have an alarm and new head unit.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

That's kinda what I was thinking. The place that tinted my windows has a neat alarm package that just adds onto the factory remote, but upgrades it to a full alarm system, so I might do that. Fortunately, I'm parked in a garage at night, so it's nice and safe...and at work, it's right next to the building.

I'm considering getting the radio relocation kit and keeping the stock one where it is, but then installing the upgraded one down below so if the faceplate is removed, then a passerby wouldn't suspect anything.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely security system...why even debate it? Why not have the peace of mind that is associated with having it.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
eventhough i went with stereo upgrade first, definitely make the alarm a priority...I live in a small town thats everybody knows everybody pretty much and there really isnt any crime around here like anything but you might as well arm yourself first before you get your system. Sure you may never need the alarm but it always is best to prepare for the worst...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

I would go with the system, just to be different haha. I completely understand what everyone is saying about security but I live in a suburb where there is nothing but old people, and when I do go around I park right in front of a building so it is less likely to get broken into, because of the amount of people that can see my car.

The real reason I would get the stereo first is because I love instant gratification. It's kinda like sex, though. Guys can usually get where they want way faster than girls while having sex (stereo, instant and fast), but the girl ends up not being happy and thinks about leaving you because you suck in bed (getting your car broken into because you don't have an alarm). So in comparison to what I just told you, getting alarm is like being good in bed, everyone stays happy without risking any losses. Now that I think of it, I need an alarm ...
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

alarm definitely. and tinting if u can get a package.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:45 PM

If you value sleep and ease of mind I would get alarm first. I bought a new h/u first and then the alarm. For a month, until I went and got my alarm I fell asleep and woke up thinking about my car didnt even want to go to the mall ha ha ha. never again will i do something like that... safety before convience
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

I would do alarm as the first thing ever!! Mainly because I live in DIRTY JERSEY!!!! lol
Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:42 AM

Well, i think it kinda depends on how you install the stereo. I have some Dark Tint all the way around so it's pretty hard to see if i have an aftermarket stereo. But I am looking at getting an alarm system soon... It's really dependent on the area you live in.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

a little advice- dont advertise in your home neighborhood. when cars get broken into at your home, more than likely its someone in your neighborhood that heard you advertising. when i had my system in my van, i advertised, it was broken into 3 times within 4 months. luckily the only thing they got was my radar detector, on the 1st break in. the other 2, i woke up and ran out in my underwear as soon as the alarm went off. now i have my system in my OZ. i beat it around town all day long, but as soon as i get within a mile of my house the music turns off.
DONT ADVERTISE
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FlipBoiFlava242
welp...i too live in tx...i go between killeen an San Antonio (home and school) every now and then and just based on my experiences with friends cars...i'd go alarm first. Might as well protect an investment eh? It would make a longer wait but in the end you'll know that it will be safe. mah .02
What an irony!! I learn the hard way, when I lived in San Antonio in 95-97 my cars were broken in, in both ocasion my full stereo equipment was stolen and never recovered.

On one of my cars(Dodge Colt) I had no alarm. On the other car (Plymouth laser RS) I had a life time warranty alarm (Clifford) but guess what, I forgot to activated it that night and they stole my complex stereo system.

My history couldn't be any more clear and direct, you should get an alarm first otherwise you are risking your stereo or other belongnings.

Carlos
Old Apr 1, 2006, 06:33 AM
Account Disabled

alarm