Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

How To: Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable

This accessory cable from Mitsubishi will run you around $50 bucks, and is for the Lancer models that do not come from the factory with AUX jacks in the dash. This MP3 cable from Mitsubishi is a three-wire install, and the wires install into an existing harness pig-tail that plugs into the factory headunit. The install time will most likely take you around 30-45 minutes. Do not rush the install, you do not want to break any little plastic clips or damage any interior panels.

Here is what the cable kit includes:

One zip-tie is also included for securing the black box to the wiring harness.

Step #1:

For the install of this cable, start on the passenger side of the Lancer. Remove the glove box. This is incredibly easy. Squeeze both sides of the glove box together, so that both stops will pop out from the housing. Now the glove box will drop all the way down, and can be set aside.

This step is also used for replacing the cabin air filter.

Now you will need to remove a very small side panel, that sits on the right side of the glove box. There is one phillips-head screw, and two clips. Once the screw is out, pull the panel out slowly.

Once that panel is removed, it is now time to remove the fake carbon fiber trim piece. There is one phillips-head screw all the way on the right side. Once this screw is removed, you will pull up on this piece very slowly. There are many plastic clips on this piece, so be careful.

Step #2:

Now it is time to work on the headunit area. Once the carbon fiber trim is removed, you will need to remove the hazard's switch bezel. There are three phillips-head screws on this little switch bezel. Once all three screws are out, there are two clips (one on each side), that will have to be squeezed in. While squeezing the sides in, pull the bezel out slowly. There is one harness connected to the back, and one flat-plug. Disconnect both, and set the bezel to the side.

Attached Thumbnails How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-006.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-007.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-009.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-010.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-008.jpg  

Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Step #2 (Continued):

Once that piece is removed, the headunit face plate can now be removed. This is very simple, but be very careful not to crack or break anything. The headunit face plate just pops out.

Now the headunit assembly is revealed. There are four phillips-head screws holding this in place.

Remove the headunit assembly, and set it to the side. Now is time to work on the wiring harness:

Attached Thumbnails How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-012.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-013.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-015.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-017.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-011.jpg  

Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Step #3:

The harness we will be working on in this step is the 18-pin pigtail connector. This pigtail is missing quite a few wires in the DE/ES model. Follow the instructions supplied with the kit for correct installation of the wires. Removing the pigtail wiring lock is probably the most difficult part, and can be a little tricky. Here are some pictures of what the harness pigtail should look like when finished:

Before:

After:

Now you can just reverse the installation, and put everything back together.

Here are my finished pictures:

I will include a review of the sound quality of this cable later on. Hopefully this will help all of you in need of the AUX/MP3 cable. Not bad for $50.
Attached Thumbnails How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-021.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-022.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-024.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-025.jpg   How To:  Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable-lancermp3cable-018.jpg  

Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great write-up man. ima get one of these
Old Sep 23, 2007, 09:49 PM

Thank you very much.

You know maybe I'll think about taking off that airbag light
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

OFF Topic, but i noticed your CF trim looks diffrent then mine?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now we just gotta figure out how to remove the stock "red/white" connector and run the cord through that hole.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FireFighter2968
OFF Topic, but i noticed your CF trim looks diffrent then mine?
Each model has slightly different trim
Old Sep 24, 2007, 04:16 PM
S.

Will the installation be the same if I have the Navi?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by LancerGTS
Each model has slightly different trim
Yeah now that you mention it... the CF on his dash looks more carbon fiber. Mine looks like a million XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

^+1.....mine does not look at pronounced as his.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info, I wanted to get the cable but wanted to install it myself instead of giving the dealership more $$$. This really helps out
Old Sep 25, 2007, 01:53 PM

wow thanks alot for this man. i got my cable today and i was hesitated to install this but i did it all by myself. everything works thanks alot.

id rate this install a 2 or 3 out of 10 and 10 being the hardest
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

No problem guys, I'm glad my little write-up helped you all out.

Oh, about my fake C/F trim. I think it looks nothing like real carbon fiber. Real carbon fiber would have been awesome!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:15 PM

yeah im not a fan of mine. i have the es and its like a fake alum. the de one looks pretty cool actually

Quick Reply: How To: Installing Mitsubishi Aux/MP3 cable