Notices
Lancer Audio and Security (All models) Discuss new audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Amp Install / Sub Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amp Install / Sub Install Questions

I went to the "How Tos / Installation" forum to no avail, the link was dead, therefore I am requesting assistance in regards to amp install and sub installation.

I have a 2003 Lancer ES and just bought a Sony Xplod 1200W amp. I am planning on installing it in the trunk along with my 2 x 10" Sony Xplod subs. My first question is what is the best possible wire routing from the battery to the trunk? My second question is can someone direct me to a site that has some pictures of the install so that I can see it visually?

If anyone can give me a detailed response to how they hooked up their amp from the battery to the trunk including how they hooked it up to the head unit that'd be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Tony
Old Jun 18, 2004, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

I ran the power wire through the left side of the car in the front quarter panel area. If you look just above the dead pedal, you'll see a rubber boot that you can run the wiring through. If you're having trouble finding it, just run your fingers and trace the hood pop line and you'll run into the boot.

You can pry the boot out enough to drill through it. Be prepared because the rubber is SOLID and it shrinks down real well. That makes it a little frustrating when you have to go back and forth with bigger drill bits, but it's worth it in the end because you'll have almost an airtight seal once you manage to thread your power wire through.

I've attached a picture of the boot with my old power wire running through it. I've since changed the wiring to 4 gauge and it works just fine. Once you get the power wire through, you can tuck the wiring underneath the door sills, the underneath the corner of the rear seat, back to the trunk. That gets your power wire from the battery to the amp.

As for running the rca cables from the amp to the h/u, you can do the same thing except on the right side. Run the cables underneath the right corner of the rear seat, underneath the door sills, and up above the passenger side floor mat. From there you can run it against the firewall and string it into where the h/u is.
Attached Thumbnails Amp Install / Sub Install Questions-power.bmp  
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:01 AM
Account Disabled

Ghostrider,

Can you make that pic any bigger. Also running it throuh the fender well do you worry about it getting wet or anything like that. Also is it easier to feed through from the inside first. Also did you have a problem running the 4 gauge through the rubber boot. What size drill bit did you use for the 4 gauge.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Just load it into photoshop and zoom in. The picture is more of a reference point to the boot. As soon as you find it, you're good to go.

No worries about getting it wet and I live in the NW. I've had it installed there for years and I've never had problems.

I didn't want to bother finding a way to feed the wire from the boot out to the battery since it's a tight squeeze as is. It was easier for me to run it from the battery first and I was able to grab the wire and feed it toward the boot opening with a thin stick.

I can't remember what the drill bit size was, but you can use any size and just round the hole out until your power wire threads through.