EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Audio and Security (All models) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-audio-security-all-models-51/)
-   -   Installed my sub and Amp and Now it Idles bad? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-audio-security-all-models/495086-installed-my-sub-amp-now-idles-bad.html)

ShaneS009 May 28, 2010 03:56 PM

Installed my sub and Amp and Now it Idles bad?

Hey, I have been lurking the site for a while, and I did an amp and sub install and now my idle is off. I unhooked the negative terminal and did the amp install everything looks hooked up right.

The only odd thing is that, when I first start it, it idles like a champ just like it did before, but now whenever I have been driving for a bit, it fluctuates between 200-600 whenever I put the clutch in, and has even died on me a few times.

The Car is a 2003 Lancer OZ rally 5 speed. The only mod I have is an Intake, and it has never done it before the install.

Any Ideas?

lncrphish May 28, 2010 10:14 PM

make sure your amp is grounded well. clean metal. also check battery terminals

eusgen May 29, 2010 11:38 AM

Hey, I have been dealing with the same issues, I have a Jackhammer 600w RMS amp and a 10" Alpine 500w rms 1500w max. My car has a bad idle and sometimes after disengaging the clutch to stop the car stalls. I just did a HUGE project to change the battery to a yellow top and major wiring (the big 3). Immediately after the install the car it started up great and idled perfectly. BUT After driving around town bumpin mah trunk a little bit, I pulled into walmart to grab a few things and when I tried to park it stalled in nuetral. The car idles better but I think the alternator just can't handle the extra power draw. I have noticed an increase in performance with the better ground and power wires (and the extra battery juice). But I think the alternator just sucks. When i get the cash to swap it out with a high output one I will give some more feedback. But for now the problem still remains.

Although the idle still has a few issues (more rare now). the flashing headlight problem is gone :). I have a volt gauge in my car as well as near the alt to read voltage for testing, etc. With the upgrade I noticed the needle drop less when the sub hits, but It will drop after excessive amounts of power drain. Anywho, I Have been trying to figure this out for months. good luck!

totaldefiance04 Jun 2, 2010 11:09 PM

you should probably look into upgrading the altenator or go with another battery in the trunk a capacitor will help fix the issue as well

eusgen Jun 4, 2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by totaldefiance04 (Post 8367561)
you should probably look into upgrading the altenator or go with another battery in the trunk a capacitor will help fix the issue as well

You should probably do more research. Anyways, a capacitor won't help unless your having stall issues, where your amp is creating an electromagnetic field that hates everything in your car electrical. Hard to explain, but unless your pulling a lot of power, and have something to support that power, then a cap. won't help. I've tried. and failed epicly. {thumbdwn}

evo20025 Jul 7, 2010 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by totaldefiance04 (Post 8367561)

yEA upgrade the alternator or get another battery it fixed it for me

khmerpimpin Jul 27, 2010 01:06 AM

anyone know what the stock alternator output is? and who sells ho alternators for evos.

eusgen Jul 28, 2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by khmerpimpin (Post 8528856)
anyone know what the stock alternator output is? and who sells ho alternators for evos.

Stock alternator output for lancers is 90 amps. I have found 140-200amp HO alternators on ebay :o. But who knows if they are good, i'm gonna try one of the 140amp HO alternators for a 02 OZ Rally soon. :mitsu:

CoastieOZ Aug 26, 2010 12:49 PM

hey ive got an 800watt rms amp, running to my JL 10..... been there for 6 years.... interior lights kinda dim every now and then, but other than that i never have any issues.. and gain is almost all the way turned up on the amp....