Notices

OZ build, tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OZ build, tuning questions

Sorry for the long post, but here goes.

I have a 2002 OZ manual trans (low miles) and am starting my build.

Mods Installed:

OBX ceramic header and mid pipe (in turn took out both cats)
OBX high output coils and 10mm wires
Magna flow "cat-back"
AEM CAI
RRM ported throttle body

I understand the basics of setting up logging, rom saving and transfer and all that, however I have very little knowlage of how to base tune and refine from there.

I have gathered a little from this site and many of you seem to know all there is to know about it so I figured I'd ask for your help, insight and direction.

I am wanting to learn to do this instead of paying someone else to do it for me.

Tuning Setup:

I plan on buying a good dual core laptop to use
A AEM Uego wideband (either inline or not?)
Openport 2.0 cable
using ECUflash 1.42 and EVOScan

If I'm forgetting anything needed or you have a idea please share.

What I'm hoping for:

Since I went cattless (about 2 weeks ago) I have thrown CEL codes P0421, P0171, P0135, P0134 and P0132
I'm wanting to flash the EVO rom, like senate has done, in order to disable the rear o2 and anything else I may need to?
I have tried the cel eliminaters and they didn't work and I think that's what gave me the P0171 "lean" code though I can't be sure.
Car is running fine however.

I'm also wanting to push some real power with this car, at least all I can without going turbo.

My Questions:

1: Can you tell me, or post some links on, how to tune my car from start to finish?
I know all cars are different, but the step by steps for N/A's I would think should be pretty much the same?

2: Can you tell me any ideas you have about my codes and also what info I need to disable the codes I need to, with a EVO rom installed, pass a OBD II MARTA check.

I'm open to any other info, ideas or thoughts you might have.

I should also add that I've been reading for awhile now and though I've found alot of helpful info, I still don't know and can't find a step by step for tuning with ECUFlash.
I have found threads like https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...beginners.html and though they have been great on showing me much, I still don't want to just put numbers in and see what it does.

Case in point; I can't figure out if, when you change the AFR, you change all the numbers for all the RPM's the same at the same time (with the select all option) or if you change them in only some RPM ranges etc.

These and much more are what I'd like to learn.

Future Mods:

EVO Rom
501 MAF
possibly a fuel regulator? Think I'll need one?
Pulleys and cam ect.

Thanks all in advance for your help and thanks for the help you've already been.

~Micah
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
noone is going to reply with "how to steps" for tuning, as its already been answered in the past, so noone wants to retype. Use the search button and questions that you cant find an answer to, im sure someone will help with.

dj
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:23 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trust me you dont need anything to tune. i tuned my turboed lancer to 15psi on all stock interals with a little laptop that i actually have for sale. nothing special but it gets the job done. check my sig for a link...

as for your other stuff...

the evo rom will do nothing for you since you are not turbo from what i can tell. the evo rom is a full turbo setup which has differnet maps for timing and fuel and other things as well specifically for turbo.

501 maf will help open it up but there has been some problems as far as i can remember for tuning for the n/a guys.

and heres a link for ecuflash

josh
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

ezzey

Perhaps you didn't see this?

I should also add that I've been reading for awhile now and though I've found alot of helpful info, I still don't know and can't find a step by step for tuning with ECUFlash.
I have found threads like https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...beginners.html and though they have been great on showing me much, I still don't want to just put numbers in and see what it does.

Case in point; I can't figure out if, when you change the AFR, you change all the numbers for all the RPM's the same at the same time (with the select all option) or if you change them in only some RPM ranges etc.
I have been researching (even on the search here) this for awhile now and though I've found some good information, like the link above, I have not been able to find the method to changing timing and afr i.e as a whole or per a rpm range or a step by step that even goes further then The link above.

I'f I'm wrong, kindly post the link to prove it.

JRR I did not know about the 501 or the evo rom.
Thanks, I'll need to research that more.

~Micah
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:26 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

you have to log your car to be able to know when and where to change things. you do it based on what rpm and where in the load scaling is where you change stuff.

so...lets say you are getting knock at like o say 5400 rpm and 60% ecu load...after you know this from your data log (evoscan) you then go into ecuflash find your high octane timing tables and retard the timing a bit to get"rid" of the knock.

not saying that you will have it perfect after 1 time of adjusting but it should be better than what it was.

i went thru numerous tanks of gas tuning my lancer, then i got the evo ecu and my tuning waaaaaaayyyyyyyy opened up for my turbo lancer.

jsoh
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Jrr

Thanks, that helps alot.
Go off the log and adjust from there.
RPM to RPM.
That'll help.

Also the videos look very helpful, thanks for the link.
I'm watching them now.

You've been a big help.
~Micah
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

i try somedays

and its not rpm to rpm only. its rpm and ecu load to rpm and ecu load!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

I will add too that if your not going turbo then tuning should be a snap for you since the ONLY thing you should be looking at is your fuel and timing tables. Everything else should be left alone since your car will be mainly stock with a few bolt ons. Until you get the new maf that is then it gets a little tricky. I personally would stick with the lancer rom since your na cause your going to have to copy everything over to the evo rom and basically graph everything from the fuel and timing tables over since a simple copy and paste will not work as the tables are much larger for the evo.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

The videos on ecuflash are great, I understand the method now.
And I understand that it should be an easy tune since I've only done breather bolt-ons.

But can anyone tell me, I've read you have to have the evo rom to do the rear o2 deleate and other deleates.
Is this true or can you do them on the OZ rom as well.

If so I think I'd be up for the pain of switching so I can get rid of these CEL codes I'm throwin.
~Micah
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:59 AM

the thing is. if you use a evo ecu, you're gonna run into a lot of problems. because "evo ecu" is for a turboed car.. that is why evo's have them, and a lot of lancers guys that turbo their cars, swap them and go through all the hassle. what some even done was installed a evo rom on out lancer ecu.. i don't remember correctly how far they went through with this.. but personally if you aren't turbocharging your car I'd suggest using the stock ecu, and since ur still learning about this. you're gonna run into crazy things, that might not even be safe for your car..
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Use an o2 cheater on the rear sensor in lieu of the evo ROM delete function. If 1 o2 cheater doesn't keep the code gone, get another and double stack them.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

I haven't tried the double stack yet, I'll try that.
Thanks.
~Micah
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
Use an o2 cheater on the rear sensor in lieu of the evo ROM delete function. If 1 o2 cheater doesn't keep the code gone, get another and double stack them.
+1^^ I have the evo rom but have not messed with any 02 deletion and still have both of mine installed. I used this method with the double stacking and have never had a single CEL. Go to the auto parts store and get a pack of spark plug anti-foulers. You then can take one and drill it out enough to allow the 02 sensor probe to slip through when its threaded on then you can thread the other one right on top of that and your good to go

Last edited by 03lances; Jul 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Technically, you could use an Evo ROM on an NA car. The Evo ROM is set up to handle boost (load values > 100), but it's not necessary to use those areas of the maps. You should, in theory, be able to just tune the low load areas (where the logs tell you) and tune it like normal after making all other necessary changes to the ROM for it to run on a Lancer.

as far as the OBDII and trouble codes, the definitions may be the same as the Evo. I'm not sure. You could always try to add the definitions to your Lancer ROM and see if the values match up, or ask one of the Gurus in the ECUFlash forum if they know if they are the same for the Lancer, or if they could check.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Technically, you could use an Evo ROM on an NA car. The Evo ROM is set up to handle boost (load values > 100), but it's not necessary to use those areas of the maps. You should, in theory, be able to just tune the low load areas (where the logs tell you) and tune it like normal after making all other necessary changes to the ROM for it to run on a Lancer.

as far as the OBDII and trouble codes, the definitions may be the same as the Evo. I'm not sure. You could always try to add the definitions to your Lancer ROM and see if the values match up, or ask one of the Gurus in the ECUFlash forum if they know if they are the same for the Lancer, or if they could check.
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing on the Evo ROM, but never considered that the definitions might be the same.
So I think I'll try that first and Go from there.

Well as always you all have been very helpful, I think I'm ready to go on it now.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: OZ build, tuning questions